PDA

View Full Version : Magical Training feat and UMD

Aspargo
2013-10-29, 08:43 AM
So, i have seen a lot of views about the interaction of those two, and made this topic to get a final anwer;

How does de Magical Training feat (Player's Guide to Faerūn, pg. 41) would interact with the Use Magic Device skill? Does the feat grant you acess to the spell list (so you can cast from scrolls and wands as usual to wizards and sorcerers) or you must make the check as normal to the skill?

On a side note, is there a way to gain acess to the spell list without gaining a level in a casting class? (such as feat, or maybe a item)

Stegyre
2013-10-29, 02:38 PM
I don't think I'm as competent as others, but no one else seems to be biting at this question:

As I read the feat, it would give a non-arcane character two spell known (sorcerer) or three spells that can be prepared and cast (wizard) selected from the Wizard/Sorcerer 0-level spell list. On its face, the feat grants a form of arcane spell casting, including ASF risks while wearing armor and "are treated as a sorcerer or wizard of your arcane spellcaster level (minimum 1st)."

(I can already hear the debates about that second quote. By my read, if someone is "treated as a sorcerer or wizard of your arcane spellcaster level (minimum 1st)" and does not otherwise have an arcane caster level, you have an arcane CL 1. Any exceptions, and you are no longer being "treated as [etc.]" Thus, you would qualify for feats, PrCs, etc., that have an arcane CL 1 or any CL 1 prerequisite.)

You do not appear to have any spell list, however, beyond the two or three 0-level spells you selected.

For scrolls, I think you should be able to use scrolls of those spells without requiring UMD. While technically such spells are not on your "class list," as required, imho the magical training feat should satisfy that requirement, even though it does not explicitly say so.

Likewise for wands and other spell-trigger items, although even simpler, as these do not (per SRD) require the spell on your "class list" but simply on your "spell list," and by common definition, a list of spells is one thing the feat explicitly gives you.

Any other spells, however, even other 0-level spells from the Wiz/Sor list, are not on your spell list by virtue of this feat. This is one way in which the feat operates differently from a real arcane class level.

EDIT (more): Arcane Disciple (C Div) would allow you to expand your spell list to one set of domain spells. You'll have to do something else to earn any spell slots to actually cast such spells, but this would obviate the need for UMD for those spells (edit 2: unless you did not meet the attribute requirement to cast said spell -- in that case, you would still have to UMD for that purpose).