PDA

View Full Version : LA and Gestalt Builds

Yogibear41
2013-10-29, 09:56 AM
I want to verify and make sure I am doing LA right for a gestalt build, for this particular case I have a 6hd creature with a +5 LA and I think it would go like this: But I am not 100% sure if this is rules correct. Using Cleric just as an example class.

1. Racial HD/Cleric
2. RHD/Cleric
3. RHD/Cleric
4, Rhd/Cleric
5. RHD/Cleric
6. RHD/Cleric
7. LA/Cleric
8. LA/Cleric
9. LA/Cleric
10. LA/cleric
11. LA/Cleric

Or can it be done like this?

1. RHD/LA
2. RHD/La
3. RHD/LA
4. RHD/LA
5. RHD/La
6. RHD/Cleric

This seems alot better but I am pretty sure you cannot do it this way.

OldTrees1
2013-10-29, 03:39 PM
I thought it was
1. LA
2. LA
3. LA
4. LA
5. LA
6. Racial HD/Cleric
7. RHD/Cleric
8. RHD/Cleric
9, Rhd/Cleric
10. RHD/Cleric
11. RHD/Cleric

herrhauptmann
2013-10-29, 05:58 PM
I want to verify and make sure I am doing LA right for a gestalt build, for this particular case I have a 6hd creature with a +5 LA and I think it would go like this: But I am not 100% sure if this is rules correct. Using Cleric just as an example class.

1. Racial HD/Cleric
2. RHD/Cleric
3. RHD/Cleric
4, Rhd/Cleric
5. RHD/Cleric
6. RHD/Cleric
7. LA/Cleric
8. LA/Cleric
9. LA/Cleric
10. LA/cleric
11. LA/Cleric

This is the normal way.
Playing it at early levels requires a savage progression or something. Savage progression treats the high powered races as classses of their own, when you complete the class, you've got everything a standard version of the class would've had, except you also got to play it at level 1.

This is preferred because it makes you a level 11 caster in a level 11 game. This means your casting abilities will actually help you.

1. RHD/LA
2. RHD/La
3. RHD/LA
4. RHD/LA
5. RHD/La
6. RHD/Cleric

This seems alot better but I am pretty sure you cannot do it this way.This is an alternate way of doing LA in gestalt, but it's really not as good.
It might work if you need to play this 6HD +5LA race at level 6, but it's better to track down a savage progression for one side of the build.

This method you've got is bad because most classes are superior to RHD, even monk. Also, check it out, you've only got 1 level in your casting class. Your casting abilities are as a 1st level cleric in a 6th level gestalt game. Unless your racial abilities are really awesome, you're going to have problems playing this at level 6. Especially if you want to play it AS a cleric, rather than play it as a monster.

Jack_Simth
2013-10-29, 06:02 PM
The interaction between Gestalt and LA is not specified by the rules themselves. So you need to ask your DM.

Some will have you do:
RHD+6/LA+5//Class levels 11

Others:
LA+5/RHD+6//Class levels 6 (the LA attacks both 'sides' fully).

Others:
LA+5/RHD+6//- (the LA and RHD attack both 'sides' fully).

Still others:
LA+2/RHD+6/Class Levels 3//LA-3/Class levels 8 (the LA eats from both sides, but not as much).

Trouble is, none is clearly RAW, none is clearly anti-RAW. You need to ask your DM.