PDA

View Full Version : Running in combat

littlebum2002
2013-10-29, 04:10 PM
(I haven't been playing D&D for 20 years like some people on here, and I usually play RP-heavy campaigns instead of combat-heavy campaigns, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious)

From the SRD:

Your speed tells you how far you can move in a round and still do something, such as attack or cast a spell. Your speed depends mostly on your race and what armor you’re wearing.
If you use two move actions in a round (sometimes called a “double move” action), you can move up to double your speed. If you spend the entire round to run all out, you can move up to quadruple your speed (or triple if you are in heavy armor).

What it is saying is that if I forgo taking a standard action and instead take 2 move actions, I can move twice my speed. But if I use a full-round action instead, I can go 4 times my speed.

The question I have is: what exactly is the difference between "two move actions" and "a full round action"? I always thought that

full round action = standard action + move action + swift action

and, if you wanted to move 2x movement speed, you would be forgoing your standard action for another move action, giving you only a swift action left to do whatever you are able to do in a swift action. Is this correct? Or is there something else you can do in a 2 move turn that I'm missing?

Ignore this if my assumptions are wrong, but if this IS true, then the rules are kinda screwy, aren't they?

Move action = 30ft

double move action round=move action + move action + swift action
=30ft + 30ft + swift action
= 60ft + swift action

4x move action round = full action
= 120ft

1 round=1 round
60ft + swift action = 120ft
swift action = 60ft

WT????

Flickerdart
2013-10-29, 04:11 PM
A full-round action does not include swift actions.

The reason that the Run action is twice as fast as a double move (a hustle) is because Run carries many restrictions while a hustle represents a more careful move. When you use Run you can only move in a straight line, and lose Dexterity to AC.

Equinox
2013-10-29, 04:28 PM
Also, you can't Run through any square that would impede movement, but can Move (or double-Move) through such square.

TuggyNE
2013-10-29, 06:05 PM
Also, you can only run for a certain number of consecutive rounds before you have to start making Con checks.

littlebum2002
2013-10-30, 12:26 PM
OK thanks, I understand the difference now.

Also, I thought I remembered reading that only free actions were allowed with a full-round action, but now that I look again you're right, it doesn't include swift actions.

Slipperychicken
2013-10-30, 12:46 PM
OK thanks, I understand the difference now.

Also, I thought I remembered reading that only free actions were allowed with a full-round action, but now that I look again you're right, it doesn't include swift actions.

Just don't think about it giving you more move actions, just:

Move = 1xspeed

Double-Move (i.e. Full Round action, or Standard + Move) = 2xspeed

Run (Full-Round action) = 4xspeed. 3x if wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load. Lose Dex to AC, can only run for Consitution in rounds before making Con checks to continue running.