PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Man Hysteria!!!!!

visigani
2013-10-29, 06:21 PM
Eliminate Fighter class.
Give all base classes with martial weapon proficiency that don't have inherent initiator levels the bonus feats of the fighter (i.e. one every other level), as well s a good fort save if it doesn't have it already.

Base class levels also qualify as fighter levels for feats such as weapon specialization.

Vaz
2013-10-29, 06:33 PM
Eh. Some houserules I use.

Give it a free FBF, Racial bonus feat (accordong to your race, provided it has a martial application), Psionic Bonus feat (if you have the psionic type not present from class levels or feats), Incarnum Bonus feats (again, if you have the Incarnum type) at each level.

Automatically proficient with 1 Exotic Weapon/Level.

Let it get one cross class skill it has ranks in become a class skill (for itself and all other classes) every 5th level.

It can ignore the 3 Martial Study feats limit. Once ittakes 3 Martial Study feats in one school, your Fighter levels from that point on count as initiator levels in that school only. You still lack a recovery mechanic, however.

Grant it every ACF it qualifies for for free at the earliest level.

Capstone grants every Fighter Bonus feat for free. (this includes the Martial Study feats etc).

T.G. Oskar
2013-10-29, 06:36 PM
Erm... Well, normally I wouldn't oppose to this, but perhaps it's the delivery. Something as drastic as eliminating the Fighter class, without offering a replacement other than "spread its corpse towards all other full BAB classes" seems like it's not the best option.

The first thing I thought, the VERY first, was "well, what's its replacement?" Not every table accepts ToB, which leaves the Warblade out of the table (the one class I agree is a straight-up replacement for the Fighter, because it does EVERYTHING the Fighter does and more), and you might end up with an individual who merely wants to grab a big stick and dish mondo amounts of damage, without the use of fancy tricks or rages or smites or have their weapons limited.

Now: I agree wholeheartedly that all full BAB classes should get extra feats, but that won't be enough for them. There's also the question of whether that makes one class better than other: the Warblade lacks the extra feats (instead, it has to choose from its very small list), but the Duskblade gains a solid power boost from it. The Ranger gets to dabble on both combat styles at once, and reliably to boot. The Barbarian will get more feats than it actually needs. The only classes who would benefit from it would be the Paladin (you can use the other feats for divine feats and Paladin-specific feats), the Hexblade, the Swashbuckler (to an extent) and the Samurai (again, to an extent). The Monk, not being a full BAB class and not having all class features, gets shafted. The Rogue also gets no bonus feats to compensate, even if UMD is kick-ass. Thus, the choice is too wide to matter. Even some of the classes that get a solid benefit will be somewhat shafted: the Paladin gets 11 new feats, but all from the same list, instead of spreading out a bit with Divine Feats and perhaps one or two Domain feats. Oh yeah: what about Psychic Warrior? Sure, it has proficiency with all Martial weapons, but no full BAB. So yeah: the delivery isn't as effective as you'd like. I'd say the Warblade would benefit if only its limited list was replaced with the Fighter bonus feats + the specific feats they have access to.

Also: not everybody would like to choose the entirety of the Weapon Focus line, even with the bonus feats. Perhaps if they scaled with Fighter levels (or effective Fighter levels), they'd be a bit more attractive. Coincidentally, I've been working on that, but it involves some classes get treated as if their Fighter level was lower than their actual level, which I find a bit more fair.

But yeah: while it solves a few things, it's not the most elegant solution.

visigani
2013-10-29, 07:02 PM
Erm... Well, normally I wouldn't oppose to this, but perhaps it's the delivery. Something as drastic as eliminating the Fighter class, without offering a replacement other than "spread its corpse towards all other full BAB classes" seems like it's not the best option.

The first thing I thought, the VERY first, was "well, what's its replacement?" Not every table accepts ToB, which leaves the Warblade out of the table (the one class I agree is a straight-up replacement for the Fighter, because it does EVERYTHING the Fighter does and more), and you might end up with an individual who merely wants to grab a big stick and dish mondo amounts of damage, without the use of fancy tricks or rages or smites or have their weapons limited.

Now: I agree wholeheartedly that all full BAB classes should get extra feats, but that won't be enough for them. There's also the question of whether that makes one class better than other: the Warblade lacks the extra feats (instead, it has to choose from its very small list), but the Duskblade gains a solid power boost from it. The Ranger gets to dabble on both combat styles at once, and reliably to boot. The Barbarian will get more feats than it actually needs. The only classes who would benefit from it would be the Paladin (you can use the other feats for divine feats and Paladin-specific feats), the Hexblade, the Swashbuckler (to an extent) and the Samurai (again, to an extent). The Monk, not being a full BAB class and not having all class features, gets shafted. The Rogue also gets no bonus feats to compensate, even if UMD is kick-ass. Thus, the choice is too wide to matter. Even some of the classes that get a solid benefit will be somewhat shafted: the Paladin gets 11 new feats, but all from the same list, instead of spreading out a bit with Divine Feats and perhaps one or two Domain feats. Oh yeah: what about Psychic Warrior? Sure, it has proficiency with all Martial weapons, but no full BAB. So yeah: the delivery isn't as effective as you'd like. I'd say the Warblade would benefit if only its limited list was replaced with the Fighter bonus feats + the specific feats they have access to.

Also: not everybody would like to choose the entirety of the Weapon Focus line, even with the bonus feats. Perhaps if they scaled with Fighter levels (or effective Fighter levels), they'd be a bit more attractive. Coincidentally, I've been working on that, but it involves some classes get treated as if their Fighter level was lower than their actual level, which I find a bit more fair.

But yeah: while it solves a few things, it's not the most elegant solution.

Knight. If had to choose one? It'd be the Knight.