PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] 10 (Stupid) Exotic Weapons

Kazyan
2013-10-29, 08:54 PM
I know most of these wouldn't even begin to work in real life. It's D&D; it's supposed to be ridiculous.

{table=head]Weapon Name|Cost|Damage (S)|Damage (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type
Filament|100 gp|1d4|1d6|x4|—|—|Slashing
Coring Dagger|40 gp|1d4|1d6|x4|—|2 lb.|Piercing
Whistling Knife|60 gp|1d3|1d4|19-20/x2|—|1 lb.|Slashing
Meteor Blade|20 gp|1d8|2d6|19-20/x2|—|25 lb.|Piercing
Tower Hammer|200 gp|2d6|2d8|x2|—|40 lb.|Bludgeoning
Chith|5 gp|1d3|1d4|x3|—|2 lb.|Piercing
Brushblade|300 gp|1|1d2|Special|—|2 lb.|Slashing
War Saw|20 gp|1d6|1d8|x4|—|4 lb.|Piercing and Slashing
War Brick|5 gp|1d6|1d8|x2|10 ft.|3 lb.|Bludgeoning
Bispike|30 gp|1d8|1d10|19-20/x2|—|7 lb.|Piercing
[/table]

Filament

A filament is an ultrathin, strong wire with one end attached to a band around the wrist. To operate the weapon, one swings their arm so that the wire extends from centrifugal force, and slashes into the target. A filament is a light weapon. Because a filament does not require a hand to wield--it is attached to the wrist--one can hold another object while using a filament as a weapon.

Coring Dagger

Though referred to as a "dagger", a coring dagger is actually a one-handed weapon more similar to a shortsword. Though it has no blade, its tip is an oblique oval, with a hollow shaft down the middle of the weapon. The intention is that, when used to stab, a cylindrical section of flesh will be bored out of the target. As such, coring daggers are very potent when used to make Sneak Attacks, as vital areas have chunks removed. Sneak Attacks made with a coring dagger have their Sneak Attack dice denomination increased by one step. Usually, this means that Sneak Attack damage will be expressed in terms of d8s.

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat with a coring dagger, even though it isn't a light weapon.

Whistling Knife

A whistling knife is a light weapon with a delicate blade shape. It can be wielded as a dagger by those otherwise nonproficient with the weapon, but when swung properly, its unique aerodynamic properties create a low-pressure pockets in its wake. This pressure pocket is excellent for drawing blood--when a critical hit is scored with a whistling knife, the target's blood is essentially vacuumed out, dealing 1 point of Constitution damage. This damage is not multiplied by the critical hit.

Characters who take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (whistling knife) can treat the whistling knife as a dagger for the purpose of any feat or ability that affects the character's ability use a dagger (such as Weapon Focus [dagger]).

Meteor Blade

A meteor blade is a string rope attached to a crescent-shaped blade with a lead interior. It must be wielded with two hands, and is operated by spinning the weapon in circles, extending the blade through centrifugal force. It takes a move action to "spin up" a meteor blade, preparing it to be used to attack with. Attacking with a meteor blade ends its momentum, requiring it to be spun up again. Because of the power required to spin up a meteor blade to deadly speeds, the user can apply and additional 1/2 of their Strength Bonus to the damage roll. Usually, this means that the user applies twice their strength modifier.

A meteor blade has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.

Tower Hammer

The bludgeoning version of a fullblade. A tower hammer is too awkward and heavy to use without proficiency, but its great mass makes it good for slamming through armor. A tower hammer ignores one point of armor or natural armor for the purposes of scoring hits.

Chith

A chith is a light weapon shaped like a three-inch rod with two curved blades out from the front, shaped as if wrapping around the bottom hemisphere of a sphere. A proficient weilder of a chith can stab and twist the roughly-helical points of a chith into a wound when attacking. Doing this allows the wielder to make a grapple check against the target to initiate a grapple as a free action, albeit at a -4 penalty. If the target breaks free of the resultant grapple or resists the initial attempt, they break free but have the chith still embedded in their body. A chith can be removed by yanking it out, which deals damage equal to the damage dealt by the attack that first embedded the chith--yanking pulls out a chunk of flesh. A DC 15 Heal check can negate this extra damage, done by untwisting the chith properly. During a grapple, the wielder of an embedded chith can pull it out of the target by making a successful opposed grapple check as a standard action.

Brushblade

A brushblade is named such because it looks somewhat like a paintbrush. This delicate light weapon is composed of many wiry, thin blades attached to a handle. The stronger the material of the blades, the thinner and more numerous the blades can be, increasing the weapon's potency. An ordinary steel brushblade has a critical multiplier of x2. A mithral brushblade has a multiplier of x3, an adamantine brushblade has a multipier of x4, an obdurium brushblade has a multiplier of x5, and a riverine brushblade has a multiplier of x6.

War Saw

A war saw is a one-handed weapon similar to a wood saw, but with larger, sharper, and differently-shaped serrations that allow easy piercing and sawing of flesh. Despite being a one-handed weapon, it can be used in a grapple. In a grapple, a War Saw deals double damage as the opponent's body is held down and sawn apart.

War Brick

Carefully weighted for optimal bashing, a war brick is a whimsical light weapon shaped like a rectangular prism, with small indentations serving as a handle. Despite being light weapons, war bricks can be used with the Power Attack feat as if they were two-handed weapons.

Bispike

This one-handed weapon consists of a circular handle with two narrowly-spaced, long, thin spikes jutting one foot out from it. The spikes curve slightly towards each other, allowing a proficient wielder to pinch a piece of the opponent's flesh in the narrow gap. A skilled twist after each attack allows a proficient wielder to apply finesse to the tearing of the opponent's flesh. A proficient wielder of a bispike can add half of their Dexterity modifier to damage in place of their Strength modifier.

Brickroad
2013-10-29, 09:50 PM
You had me sold at War Brick. Although I have to ask, does the wording imply that an offhand power attack with a war brick still counts as a two-handed power attack?

If that's the case... dual wielding power attack ranger!

All right. But on my way, I'm going to be doing this...

[windmills his arms]

If you get hit, it's your own fault.

Edit: Also, is there a reason the meteor blade doesn't have a ranged increment? Seems like it would be a natural impulse to let go when spinning around like that!

Kazyan
2013-10-29, 09:57 PM
Hmm...sure, you can make an off-hand Power Attack with a War Brick.

Angelalex242
2013-10-29, 11:03 PM
...I think you need to add the 'swordchucks' double weapon. ;)

Vixsor Lumin
2013-10-30, 03:06 AM
...I think you need to add the 'swordchucks' double weapon. ;)

Yes. Words cannot express the amount of awesome that would bring to this thread. :smallbiggrin: Also would the filament be a reach weapon? It could be amazing for a snowflake wardance bard if so :smalltongue:

JennTora
2013-10-30, 01:14 PM
Mackerel

A mackerel is a fish. Most likely a dead one since it's probably not in water. Though it can't deal lethal damage, any person hit with a mackerel must succeed at a fortitude save (DC 10 + the number of days it's been out of the water) or be nauseated for one round. It's wielder must also make this fortitude save each round that he wields it.

Holy Mackerel

A holy mackerel is a mackerel that was submerged in holy water for 1 month. It no longer rots, and therefore loses the nauseated effect, but deals lethal damage to undead and is treated as a +1 silver weapon when used against them.

{table=head]Weapon Name|Cost|Damage (S)|Damage (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type
Mackerel|10 gp|1d3|1d4|x2|-|5 lbs.|bludgeoning, Nonlethal, Stench
Holy Mackerel|400 gp|1d3|1d4|x2|—|5 lb.| bludgeoning, nonlethal.
[/table]

gurgleflep
2013-10-30, 01:34 PM
Corwin, you may want to move the mackerel weapons weight over a column and swap it for it's range increment... unless, y'know, 5 pounds is a distance now :smallwink:

JennTora
2013-10-30, 01:55 PM
Corwin, you may want to move the mackerel weapons weight over a column and swap it for it's range increment... unless, y'know, 5 pounds is a distance now :smallwink:

Look, I'll change it for the benefit of anyone else who hasn't gotten the memo, but seriously check your emails. :smalltongue:

Just to Browse
2013-10-30, 03:25 PM
Perhaps I'm missing it, but I can't see weapon types (TH, OH, light) anywhere. You should add that.

Filament interacts with the rules weirdly. If I put in on the hand with my main weapon, is it still an off-hand attack? Can I place multiple (if so, what's the cap?)? Do I need TWF?

Coring Dagger is pretty borked. That's a 1-feat investment for a 25% increase in SA damage, applying at all times when SA would apply.

Whistling Knife is broken as helllllllll. Give a bunch of those to your army of low-damage, high to-hit minions and living people all fall down.

Meteor Blade is good, but only because of reach. The whirling thing is... underwhelming. I'd rather use my move action to get in the way of someone and tank with Stand Still.

Tower Hammer is neither interesting nor an effective use of a feat.

Chith is very strong, because it looks like I can make a full attack routine and attempt a grapple each time. No listed damage for pulling out the chunk of flesh, and no listed action for the heal check.

Brushblade is meh.

War Saw is also meh.

War brick is very powerful. It opens up TWF for people who aren't rogues, and I like that, but I'd rather see it designed as a non-weapon feat.

Bispike is unusable because it appears not to be a light weapon, and is thus not finessable. It's also adding only half dexterity modifier, which is underwhelming.

Kazyan
2013-10-30, 03:29 PM
*pinches bridge of nose* I'll figure out how to fix these at some point, then.

Just to Browse
2013-10-30, 07:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, these are really cool ideas. I just only tell you bad things because you don't need to fix the good things. Meteor Blade is an effing awesome name.

Carl
2013-10-30, 07:18 PM
Random point JtB, the damage for pulling out a Chith is listed.

...A chith can be removed by yanking it out, which deals damage equal to the damage dealt by the attack that first embedded the chith...

Brickroad
2013-10-30, 07:35 PM
That seems to imply any sneak attack damage is reapplied when it is removed... if you can jab two into a person in a surprise attack... yeouch.

Fiery Diamond
2013-10-30, 07:45 PM
Sweet weapons. Me like.

And the only "broken" part of whistling knife is the cost, which is to say it's not really broken. Isn't that how the wounding enchantment works? Wounding is ... *goes to check* ... a +2 enchantment. Given that you're investing a feat to use the weapon (presumably), this is still somewhat overpowered (compare: Keen versus Improved Critical - +1 enchantment = 1 feat). However, the concept isn't bad at all.

Carl
2013-10-30, 08:50 PM
And the only "broken" part of whistling knife is the cost, which is to say it's not really broken. Isn't that how the wounding enchantment works? Wounding is ... *goes to check* ... a +2 enchantment. Given that you're investing a feat to use the weapon (presumably), this is still somewhat overpowered (compare: Keen versus Improved Critical - +1 enchantment = 1 feat). However, the concept isn't bad at all.

The issue is that combined with say the leadership feat and the right build you could get a situation where you could inflict so much con damage so fast that even a CR20+ would keel over dead from the con damage alone in a round or two. HP damage can be protected/negated against a whole bunch of way's, the con damage requires a spell or a fair amount of time to fix.

Angelalex242
2013-10-30, 09:44 PM
Swordchucks:
d8/d8 18-20/x4.

A monk can flurry with this weapon (cause it's chucks too...)

On a natural 1, you hit yourself for CRITICAL max damage. All bonuses are multiplied normally.

Eurus
2013-10-30, 11:10 PM
The issue is that combined with say the leadership feat and the right build you could get a situation where you could inflict so much con damage so fast that even a CR20+ would keel over dead from the con damage alone in a round or two. HP damage can be protected/negated against a whole bunch of way's, the con damage requires a spell or a fair amount of time to fix.

That's mostly an issue with Leadership. There are several ways to turn ridiculous amounts of mooks into a formidable threat in certain situations, this is just one of them. Giving your followers lassos is even nastier, if I remember right.

Debihuman
2013-10-31, 02:09 AM
Yanking out a chith would be a Strength check would it not? DC = to the wielder's strength. I think it should cause half as much damage to yank it out rather than full damage. Yanking out an embedded chith would be a swift action whereas untwisting it would be a standard action. I also think it should be a one-handed weapon rather than a light weapon because you have to concentrate on twisting it into an opponent and you can also grapple your opponent. You cannot initiate a grapple unless you have a free hand.

Coring dagger should just be a light melee weapon . Basically, you are stabbing someone with a metal turkey baster (with a handle instead of a bulb) and sucking out a chunk of flesh.

You should note that the Fullblade from Arms and Equipment book was never updated to 3.5 so it makes the tower hammer hard to adjudicate. The tower hammer sounds suspiciously similar to a warmace from Complete Warrior but much heavier (hence the higher damage). Shouldn't there be a -2 to the wielder's AC for wielding such a heavy weapon? 40 pounds of weapon is a lot. A warmace only weighs 10 lbs and adds a -1 penalty to the wielder's AC.

Also, Meteor Blades' damage for Medium size is wrong. 1d8 for a small weapon increases to 1d10 for a medium weapon, not 2d6. I think the damage should be 1d10 for Small and 1d12 for Medium considering the weapon's weight.

Debby