View Full Version : Phantom goblin [PEACH]

kinem
2013-10-29, 10:01 PM
Goblin, Phantom, 1st-Level Warrior
Size/Type: Small Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 leather armor, +1 light shield), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Morningstar +2 melee (1d6) or ray of frost +3 ranged touch (1d3 cold)
Full Attack: Morningstar +2 melee (1d6) or ray of frost +3 ranged touch (1d3 cold)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., undetectable odor
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +5, Listen +2, Move Silently +7, Ride +5, Spot +2, Spellcraft +5
Feats: Alertness, Iron Will[B]
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Gang (3-9), band (10-40), or tribe (10-60 plus 30-300 goblins plus 100% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level, 1 leader of 6th-8th level, 10-24 worgs, and 2-4 dire wolves)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil or chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

A phantom goblin stands 3 to 3½ feet tall and weigh 40 to 45 pounds. Their eyes are white. A phantom goblin’s skin color ranges through any shade of grey to drab green; usually all members of a single tribe are about the same color. Phantom goblins wear clothing of dark leather, tending toward drab colors, but they use prestidigitation to keep their clothing clean.

These goblins are often confused for a type of fey, and may in fact have some fey ancestry.

Phantom goblins speak Goblin; those with Intelligence scores of 12 or higher also speak Common.

Most phantom goblins encountered outside their homes are warriors; the information in the statistics block is for one of 1st level.

Spell-like abilities: At will - prestidigitation, detect magic, ghost sound (Will DC 10), ventriloquism (Will DC 11), mage hand, invisibility, see invisibility, dancing lights, message, ray of frost; 1/day - alarm, suggestion (Will DC 13), snare. The save DCs are Charisma based, and the caster level is equal to the phantom goblin's HD.

Undetectable odor (su): Phantom goblins cannot be detected by scent.

Combat

Phantom goblins use their power of invisibility to hide from other creatures, and prefer to use traps or mislead enemies into fighting other creatures rather than to engage in combat themselves. Thus, they are often mistaken for ghosts or are not detected at all. When they do attack, their invisibility usually allows them to surprise their foes, but they become visible and thus vulnerable when doing so until they can vanish again.

The concept of a fair fight is meaningless in their society. They favor ambushes, overwhelming odds, dirty tricks, and any other edge they can devise. However, as a whole they are not quite as malicious as many other goblins are.

Phantom goblins are cowardly by nature, tending to flee the field if a battle turns against them. With proper supervision, though, they can implement reasonably complex plans, and in such circumstances their numbers can be a deadly advantage.

Phantom goblins are often found with regular goblins. In such groups the phantom goblins, though often resented and hated, are accorded high status due to their abilities. In turn, phantom goblins look down on regular goblins, but rely on them for their numbers and combat ability. The two groups can interbreed, and the resulting offspring are regular goblins.

Phantom fey goblins:

All phantom goblins age normally for goblins until they reach venerable age. At that point, a phantom goblin of at least 6th level will age very slowly thereafter, and they can live up to 500 years. These goblins gain an additional +2 wisdom and the fey type (and retain the goblinoid subtype). These phantom fey goblins are very reclusive, seeing the antics of younger goblins as foolish, and have little interest in dealing with humans nor in leading goblin tribes. Since many of them are interested in magic, however, they might be induced to deal with outsiders in order to gain new magic.

Skills

Phantom goblins have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks. Phantom goblin cavalry (mounted on worgs) usually select the Mounted Combat feat in place of Alertness, which reduces their Spot & Listen check modifiers from +3 to +1.

Phantom goblins As Characters

Phantom goblin characters possess the following racial traits.

-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma.
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
A phantom goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
Undetectable odor (su): Phantom goblins cannot be detected by scent.
Spell-like abilities: At will - prestidigitation, detect magic, ghost sound, ventriloquism, mage hand, invisibility, see invisibility, dancing lights, message, ray of frost; 1/day - alarm, suggestion, snare. The save DCs are Charisma based, and the caster level is equal to the phantom goblin's HD.
Bonus Feat: Iron Will
Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Any arcane spellcasting class
Level Adjustment: +2

The phantom goblin warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.

ArotaAlehthrra
2013-10-30, 12:26 AM
Oh god, these are kind of terrifying. It's like a cross between a gnome and Tucker's kobolds, all rolled up into a creepy goblin body...

Regarding them reaching venerable: Are the fey subtype and wisdom bonus simply an additional aging bonus? If so, does that mean a player could choose to play a venerable phantom goblin if they wanted to get those bonuses?

What's the logic behind requiring them to be at least 6th level for the extra age length to kick in? I understand mechanically wanting them to have some power in order to age, but in the physical world, how would that work? Biologically, why would 6 levels of training in whatever class affect how long they live?

I do think the CR should be upped by at least one, though. The spell-like abilities (especially at-will invisibility) seem a little powerful for a CR 1.

kinem
2013-10-30, 09:44 AM
Oh god, these are kind of terrifying. It's like a cross between a gnome and Tucker's kobolds, all rolled up into a creepy goblin body...

Regarding them reaching venerable: Are the fey subtype and wisdom bonus simply an additional aging bonus? If so, does that mean a player could choose to play a venerable phantom goblin if they wanted to get those bonuses?

Start with an age penalty to Con and a +2 LA to get those? I'd allow it.

What's the logic behind requiring them to be at least 6th level for the extra age length to kick in? I understand mechanically wanting them to have some power in order to age, but in the physical world, how would that work? Biologically, why would 6 levels of training in whatever class affect how long they live?

It could be a mind over matter thing, but often levels also represent some kind of life energy in D&D (as in energy drain). Training the mind and body makes your ki stronger in D&D or something like that :smallwink:

I do think the CR should be upped by at least one, though. The spell-like abilities (especially at-will invisibility) seem a little powerful for a CR 1.

Their attacks don't hit that hard though, and it's not greater invisibility. By itself, I don't think a lone phantom goblin is CR 2.

ArotaAlehthrra
2013-10-30, 10:45 AM
Their attacks don't hit that hard though, and it's not greater invisibility. By itself, I don't think a lone phantom goblin is CR 2.

I've knocked the party healer into unconsciousness with regular invisibility. Never underestimate the strategic value of being able to hit someone's flat-footed in the first round! :smallbiggrin:

That said, I didn't notice the damage numbers last night. You're right that it doesn't hit hard enough to be a CR 2, even with those spell-like abilities. I suppose my concern is more the scaling of having such abilities at higher levels, and the LA+2 takes care of that.

Bhu
2013-10-30, 08:22 PM
I like these, theyre evil

kinem
2013-11-14, 10:40 AM
I like these, theyre evil

Thank you :)