PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous magic items: Low power, but interesting.

Makeitstop
2013-10-29, 11:24 PM
So, one of my favorite things to do as a GM is give my players interesting items of limited, or at least less than obvious usefulness, just to see what they do with them. If you have items that are subtle, strange, quirky or just plain weak, but which are still fun or intriguing, please share. These are often the things that can make a session memorable.

Here's some of mine:

String of Regeneration
A 50 ft spool of seemingly ordinary thread. When two ends are put together, they instantly fuse into one perfect piece. Will not fuse to any piece that will make it longer than 50 ft.

The Blind Candle
A candle which when lit, gives off no light, and whose flame is invisible. However, anyone looking in the direction of the candle with their eyes closed can see the flame, even if it's on the other side of an obstacle, so long as it's within range (120ft)

Lonely Stones
A pair of teardrop shaped stones, which when placed on the ground, will always point to each other, no matter the distance. Great for following something or finding someone who is lost.

Spider's cup
An ordinary looking cup which when turned upside pours out water, up to 1d4 gallons per hour. The weird part, when the water hits the ground it flows uphill, not down. Drinking from the cup is a bad idea.

Rizban
2013-10-30, 01:18 AM
String of Regeneration is neat. What happens if the spool runs out though?

I can see some uses for the Blind Candle... I'm definitely going to add this in the campaign I'm trying to get started.

Do both Lonely Stones have to be on the ground for them to function? If so, it would make using them for tracking a bit less useful.

Now I want to know why drinking from the Spider's Cup is a bad idea...

Makeitstop
2013-10-30, 01:40 AM
String of Regeneration is neat. What happens if the spool runs out though?
You wind it back up again, and hopefully you kept all the scraps and therefore still have 50 ft.

Do both Lonely Stones have to be on the ground for them to function? If so, it would make using them for tracking a bit less useful.
No, just one. However, they don't take elevation into account. Took the party way too long to figure that one out.

Now I want to know why drinking from the Spider's Cup is a bad idea...
The water flows up not down. Imagine trying to drink from a cup while hanging upside down. Now imagine the cup can pour out gallons of water.