PDA

View Full Version : 4 best published adventures for 3.5?

CyberThread
2013-10-30, 12:48 AM
what would you say are the best published adventures for 3.5?

Aegis013
2013-10-30, 12:50 AM
I once played a module called Something's Cooking. It was quite fun, though I don't know if it would qualify as one of the best.

Blueiji
2013-10-30, 01:02 AM
I once played a module called Something's Cooking. It was quite fun, though I don't know if it would qualify as one of the best.

Is that the one with the Calzone Golem? It's fairly short, but its quirky and can make for pretty fun low-level adventure. My players liked it.

The general consensus seems to that the best published adventure for 3.5 is "The Red Hand of Doom". However, "Age of Worms" also gets mentioned a lot, along with "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft". "Tomb of Horrors" also got updated to 3.5, and although it's horrifyingly brutal and overly-lethal, it is a classic.

Morphie
2013-10-30, 01:09 AM
I had a blast in Red Hand of Doom, it was the first big adventure that I DMed :smallsmile:
Now I'm playing the Age of Worms and it's been really good, so I have to include that one on the list as well. If this was also about 3e, I would most definitely include Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and City of the Spider Queen. They could also be adapted to 3.5 without major problems IMHO.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-30, 01:15 AM
Savage Tide can be moderately fun and interesting, even without tweaking.

Although that one is better for DM's looking to run games against high end powers and wanting inspiration as it shows the kinds of lengths that one should be required to go to to kill a Demon Lord, Duke of Hell, Great Wyrm Dragon, etc. It's not "oh we ported in and smashed his face it", it's "well we got a demon princess out of a prison that only 4 others have ever been released from so that we could find out our enemies weakness, went and bartered with an epic wizard who's name is feared across the planes, created an alliance between five demon lords and the eladrion that are the mortal enemies of demon kind, instigated a war involving several hundred thousand moderate CR troops as a distraction, broke into the demon lord's place of power, and then smashed his face in real good.".

juicycaboose
2013-10-30, 01:42 AM
Currently playing Shackled City and it's rather fun, it has it's problems but overall as a player it's been interesting.
I think it's also the only adventure published in hard-cover as well so there's that.

ArqArturo
2013-10-30, 01:50 AM
Age of Worms.

Aegis013
2013-10-30, 01:52 AM
Is that the one with the Calzone Golem? It's fairly short, but its quirky and can make for pretty fun low-level adventure. My players liked it.

Yes, it's that one. I remember the living room encounter taking the party by surprise as much as the marinara burns from stabbing the calzone golem. Good times.

FuzzyDM
2013-10-30, 04:26 AM
Second Red Hand of Doom.

It may not be the best right out of the box, but it provides a surprisingly tweak-able and setting-adaptable adventure.

I realize this doesn't actually answer the question, but all the Pathfinder Adventure Paths are pretty great as well.

Brookshw
2013-10-30, 06:24 AM
I just picked up expedition to castle ravenloft and only having read maybe the first quarter of the book I"m very excited to run it.

Big Fau
2013-10-30, 07:40 AM
I think it's also the only adventure published in hard-cover as well so there's that.

The four Expeditions (Castle Ravenloft, Ruins of Greyhawk, Undermountain, and Demonweb Pits) are all hard-cover.

I'm partial to the Scourge of the Howling Horde, Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, and Red Hand of Doom. I've tried running Eyes of the Lich Queen, but that module isn't very interesting.

The Forgotten Forge and it's sequels are pretty good.

GreenETC
2013-10-30, 07:57 AM
I'd probably rate them to be, possibly in order: Savage Tide, Red Hand of Doom, the Forgotten Forge storyline, and Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Each has it's own style and creates a certain type of gameplay, but all are enjoyable.

Garagos
2013-10-30, 08:05 AM
I wish they would do an update for the Labyrinth of Madness. Loved that adventure in 2E. So many ways to die.

tricktroller
2013-10-30, 10:27 AM
I have the shattered gates of slaughterguard and I have been meaning to run it for a group, but I haven't had a chance to play dnd in months. I actually took several modules and a bunch of my own stuff to make a very large campaign that would bring people from first to 20th level if played through completely. Hope I get a chance to run it soon. I have been meaning to set up a new group for it and dm for some newer players.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-30, 11:44 AM
Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, Bastion of Broken Souls, War of the Burning Sky, and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits all get my votes.

blelliot
2013-10-30, 11:54 AM
Second on the savage tide and age of worms.

ArqArturo
2013-10-30, 12:48 PM
Also, but I think it was from 3.0, but I still think it's a great adventure, Return to the Temple of the Frog.