PDA

View Full Version : Could this be Elan's grand plan?

Raimun
2013-10-30, 06:16 AM
Not becoming a hero but instead being a comic relief and sidekick.

Ie. carry on as normal. :smalltongue:

coineineagh
2013-10-30, 06:45 AM
So, He needed Durkon's help to.. what?
Implant a Geas? A Mark of Cowardice?

Killer Angel
2013-10-30, 06:57 AM

Well, Elan never wanted to be the Great Hero. Too much responsabilities...

Trillium
2013-10-30, 06:58 AM
So, He needed Durkon's help to.. what?
Implant a Geas? A Mark of Cowardice?

Geas and Mark of Somethingice are both easily removed by Remove Curse or Break Enchantment. Tarq would just chain Elan and ask Miron to dispel the spell.

angry_bear
2013-10-30, 08:58 AM
Pretty sure his plan is to propose to Haley. He beats Tarquin by creating his own family, and being done with his evil relatives. As opposed to actually stopping Tarquin, right now the order is in kind of the right position to do so... Killing him, and his two heaviest hitters out in the middle of nowhere, without anyone to tell the tale means Tarquin dies as an anonymous sub boss.

Tiiba
2013-10-30, 08:33 PM
It seemed to me from Tarquin's statements a few strips ago that he does not consider Elan getting married to be defeat. He does want the bride to be worthy, but I think we all agree that she is.

It may come to pass that Tarquin will die in the desert without anyone to tell the tale. But I don't think it will be now. We know too little about his allies, they need some fleshing out before the end of the line.

Ramien
2013-10-30, 08:55 PM
Pretty sure his plan is to propose to Haley. He beats Tarquin by creating his own family, and being done with his evil relatives. As opposed to actually stopping Tarquin, right now the order is in kind of the right position to do so... Killing him, and his two heaviest hitters out in the middle of nowhere, without anyone to tell the tale means Tarquin dies as an anonymous sub boss.

Unless he's got a really weird proposal planned for Haley, that doesn't explain Durkon's quizzical look after Elan was done talking to him about the plan or getting what help he needed.

Everyl
2013-10-30, 09:25 PM
Unless he's got a really weird proposal planned for Haley, that doesn't explain Durkon's quizzical look after Elan was done talking to him about the plan or getting what help he needed.

:elan: "I'm going to beat my dad by getting married to Haley! Be ready to officiate the ceremony on a moment's notice, okay?"

That sounds quizzical-look-worthy to me.

angry_bear
2013-10-30, 10:15 PM
:elan: "I'm going to beat my dad by getting married to Haley! Be ready to officiate the ceremony on a moment's notice, okay?"

That sounds quizzical-look-worthy to me.

Pretty much this.

Winter Light
2013-10-30, 10:24 PM
It seemed to me from Tarquin's statements a few strips ago that he does not consider Elan getting married to be defeat. He does want the bride to be worthy, but I think we all agree that she is.

Two words:
Elan Starshine.

skim172
2013-10-31, 12:28 AM

That's...

That's actually really good.

Simple, but clever. Fulfills the goal in a very direct, yet completely unexpected way. I like it.

Not sure it's the right one, since I'm not sure what role Durkon would have to play in it. But still, very nice.

Raimun
2013-10-31, 06:27 AM
Hmm, forgot about Durkon's part in the plan.

Perhaps he told Durkon to buff only Roy. :smalltongue:

Orm-Embar
2013-10-31, 07:31 AM
Two words:
Elan Starshine.

...and Tarquin's head explodes. Open bar at the reception!

Trillium
2013-10-31, 07:40 AM

Just want to commend you on incredibly tasteful and epic forum name!

Chronos
2013-10-31, 10:02 AM
Elan can't become the comic relief sidekick, because he already is. That's what he's always been, and he knows it and has no problem with it. His plan has to be something that he wasn't already doing.

At most, his plan could be to convince his father of that, but that still doesn't say how, or how Durkon of all people is involved.

Roland Itiative
2013-10-31, 10:12 AM
Two words:
Elan Starshine.

Well, it's not like Elan has any surname (that we know of, at least) for Haley to take, so taking hers instead wouldn't be so weird :smalltongue:

Winter Light
2013-10-31, 12:05 PM
Well, it's not like Elan has any surname (that we know of, at least) for Haley to take, so taking hers instead wouldn't be so weird :smalltongue:

It's not about that, it's about...

Blah blah "his legacy" etc.

Orm-Embar
2013-10-31, 12:36 PM
Just want to commend you on incredibly tasteful and epic forum name!

Thanks! In return please accept my sincere admiration and compliments on your location. (http://www.miskatonic-university.org/) :smallbiggrin:

I thought the name thing was a great suggestion. And it's not weird - it's romantic!

jasonred79
2013-11-03, 05:48 AM
You know what else I came up with that would resolve this situation?
Sorry, the thread title "Could this be Elan's grand plan?" just inspired me.

Elan: Dad... as you might have noticed, I already *AM* the Party leader and MVP... ... ... I JUST LET THEM THINK OTHERWISE

;)

Tarquin could totally roll with that... It must be in their blood! (that's what he's been doing with his evil empire all this time!)

After all... who's got the girl? Who's got the moolah? (Haley, but he's marrying her). Who is the genre savvy, plot aware, showboating character in the party?

And who is the meat shield, who tends to be the first to be targetted in battle for PLOT reasons, TACTICAL reasons (kill the leader first!), and for SELF-INFLICTED reasons (I'm the party tank, I'll tank the damage!)

Point out to daddy that in a bard flashback montage (that Roy is incapable of!) that Roy was not only dead, but was relegated to a non-participating party member for months on end... and I think Tarquin slaps Elan on the back and says "keep up the good work, my boy!" ... or in this case, he might be proud enough to say MY boy!

Mike Havran
2013-11-03, 06:43 AM
I don't think Elan's plan involves him bluffing about anything. As Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html) pointed out, Elan can't bluff to save his life.

Heksefatter
2013-11-03, 06:49 AM
Two words:
Elan Starshine.

This is perfect in its simplicity. I think that there's more to it, though, but this is still awesome.

Generally speaking, I think Elan's plan must be something with taking over Tarquin's narrative. Not ruining it as such - Elan is too much of a storyteller to straight out ruin stories. He will out-narrate Tarquin by taking over the story and relegating Tarquin to an un-cool role.

Roland Itiative
2013-11-03, 09:08 AM

But he doesn't have any "legacy" in the surname department to begin with. He isn't shedding any connection to Tarquin by taking Haley's name, he's just adding something he didn't have before.

Taelas
2013-11-03, 09:12 AM
It's still symbolically throwing his lot in with the Starshines, which may be enough of an insult for Tarquin to disown him.

halfeye
2013-11-03, 09:38 AM
But he doesn't have any "legacy" in the surname department to begin with. He isn't shedding any connection to Tarquin by taking Haley's name, he's just adding something he didn't have before.
He has Elan <His mother's name>son or Tarquinson in the Icelandic style if nothing else.

Mike Havran
2013-11-03, 05:36 PM
He has Elan <His mother's name>son or Tarquinson in the Icelandic style if nothing else.We don't know if all humans in OotSverse have a surname.

Actually,

what if that means that Tarquin, Elan and Nale aren't really humans? Dun dun dunn!!!