PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Keep on the Borderlands IC [PF]

ybn1197
2013-10-30, 09:23 AM
The road north has been long and taxing. You signed on as guards for a caravan headed to Kendall Keep in the northern frontier and have fought off nothing more than the cold weather and boredom. Finally, your destination comes in sight. Kendall Keep emerges from the morning fog and like the sun burns the fog away, so does the sight of the Keep burn away the depression in your hearts.

The caravan makes camp at the bottom of the hill upon which the Keep is perched. You are approached by the master of the caravan who pays you your wages, 10 GP each, and thanks you for protecting his interests on the journey. With this leg complete, he intends to head back south, wagons empty, and no longer requires your services. Perhaps there is someone in the Keep who may have further work for the likes of you?

Taking his suggestion, you gather your belongings and gave up the hillside. Even from the road, the Keep is an impressive sight: a mighty castle perched on a flat topped hill, with a path climbing steeply up beneath frowning guard towers until it reaches the main gate. Crenelated battlements line the walls, offering plenty of cover for archers to attack any foe coming up the exposed path. As you draw near, a clanging as of a great gong goes up from one of the towers that overlooks the path - clearly, your approach has been noticed. You continue on your way, your back itching as you try not to think about deadly arrows suddenly being launched in your direction. Following the curve of the path around to the side, you come to the great gate a drawbridge flanked by thirty foot high watchtowers. As you approach, the guard on one of the towers hails you. "Halt! Who goes there? Friend or foe?" The voice originates from top of the right hand tower.

Lexin
2013-10-30, 09:48 AM
Looking a little tired after the whole journey Christopher stopped and waited for a moment to catch his breath, then smiles looking at the place from which he thinks the voice originates.

"Given that choice, I choose to be a friend. We've traveled far and wish to stay here for at least some time." he shouts back.

Raginmund
2013-10-30, 10:51 AM
Farwalker holds his hands out in front of his body palms out, either to show his lack of weapons or preparation to intercept an arrow launched by a nervous bowman. Does anyone ever say foe?, he wonders.

Mafalin
2013-10-30, 12:04 PM
Oswald shades his eyes with his hand as he looks up towards the tower and adds to Christophers response: "I am Paladin Oswald of Dranmoor, me and my comrades would seek shelter here and offer our services if they are required."

Da'Shain
2013-10-30, 12:56 PM
Her bow looped loosely around her right shoulder, Elena keeps her hands where they have been for the climb up, clutching the straps of her pack, striving to remain nonthreatening. She peers upward, seemingly none the worse for wear after the short climb, instead studying the Keep's structure and noting whatever guards she sees and what they are armed with. She had been warned by her teachers not to simply accept things at face value, even if this seemed like a perfectly normal guard's reaction to armed travelers.

Elena will attempt a Perception roll if there is anything particularly relevant to see, looking first at the guard who spoke and then at any other guards she can see, simply out of curiosity. Perception: [roll0]

ybn1197
2013-10-30, 01:11 PM
Peering up, you quickly realize the guard in the right hand tower is standing before one of the crenelations and has full cover from those who would attack from below. You see movement along the top of the left hand tower of someone also using the crenelations for cover. Beyond those two, you see no one else at all.

The voice calls out again. "Are you all together. I've only heard from two of ya, not the others. Paladin Oswald, do you vouch for them?"

Lexin
2013-10-30, 02:16 PM
"We are all traveling together. I am Christopher Vale, and can vouch for others with full weight of my family's name." answers Christopher, without waiting for his paladin friend.

'...and now I kind of hope we burn the place to the ground... It would be a nice gist for my father, and his precious reputation...'

Kamakiri
2013-10-30, 02:18 PM
Foust stops his brisk walk at the bellow from the guard tower. A man is only as good as his word and you have mine, I mean you nor anyone else in this keep harm.

R-Group
2013-10-30, 05:12 PM
Madhocc chooses to remain quiet at first, and using his long-handled warclub as a cane to support his crippled leg, takes a moment to adjust the straps of his heavy pack. After his various companions have each taken their turns beseeching the rampart guard, he brushes to the front and raises his voice in accordance:

"Aye, there's no reason not to admit us. How many of you're in there? A hundred or more? We're only eight travelers, and exhausted too. Open these gates; is this what passes for hospitality in the country anymore?"

Samshiir
2013-10-30, 06:03 PM
Talsius wasn't surprised that the keep's guards were being so wary. In his experience, distrust was one of the few things that human civilizations were capable of mastering. The half-orc briefly growled in an attempt to clear his thoughts.

Tal remained silent for now. He decided that if he spoke, he would only create more distrust from the guards, and make this entire process take longer. He simply pulled his cloak tighter around his neck to protect against the biting cold.

ybn1197
2013-10-30, 07:21 PM
From the left tower, another voice is heard. "Right then, clear the way." There is a long pause before you hear the sound of chains being drawn over a wooden wheel.

The portcullis slowly rises creaking clearing the way for you to step off the drawbridge and between the towers. About ten feet ahead waits the final barrier barring your entry: a set of sturdy double doors made of thick wood reinforced with iron bands. The shutter at the back of a barred window in the right-hand door opens and a woman's face scrutinizing you with calm deliberation. "Welcome to Kendall Keep" she says.

She looks you up and down her eyes resting thoughtfully on your exposed weaponry. "I'm Sabine the Gatekeeper" she goes on. "This is a peaceable place. We don't like brawling in the streets folks stabbed in the tavern or anything like that. Keep your weapons sheathed within the wall and stay out of trouble and you'll find the Keep a home away from home. Stir up trouble and you'll wish you'd never come here. I guarantee it."

Mafalin
2013-10-30, 08:38 PM
Somewhat annoyed at the distrust displayed by the gatekeeper Oswald still endeavours to be diplomatic:

"I'm sure you'll have no trouble from us; the only thing I long to attack right now is a hearty meal."

As he waits for the doors to open Oswald considers the situation again, seeing past his personal situation:

"You seem on edge, have you had any trouble lately?"

Kamakiri
2013-10-30, 10:45 PM
Hearing Oswald speak, Foust quips on, or perchance were ya expecting someone?

Da'Shain
2013-10-31, 02:10 PM
Elena nods soberly at the guardwoman's warning, content to let the others speak for her, as she has no wish to muddy the waters with multiple wagging tongues. She does turn to Farwalker at the mention of possible trouble, though, and murmurs, "Perhaps we should warn the caravan master if the keep is expecting some sort of disturbance?"

Raginmund
2013-10-31, 02:10 PM
Farwalker bows his head in acknowledgement to Gatekeepers warning. He listens carefully to her answer to Oswald and Foust's queries.

Sense Motive on Gatekeeper [roll0]

R-Group
2013-10-31, 02:55 PM
Once the portcullis is raised, such that he may step through, Madhocc advances between the towers. He pays no mind to the Gatekeeper, save to carefully stow away his warclub in its much less conspicuous holster. The more charismatic members of their entourage may handle the discussion; the tribesman finds no pleasure in such difficult interactions. Instead he waits beside the great doors for entrance into the keep.

Samshiir
2013-10-31, 03:49 PM
Talsius had no intention to 'stir up trouble' while he was here. He was content with simply doing his business within the boundries of the keep, which involved only eating and sleeping.

He remained with his fellow travellers for now, though. He figured that staying with them was slightly better than wandering off alone in an unknown area.

ybn1197
2013-11-01, 09:10 AM
Sabine eyes up Oswald. "Not on edge and not any trouble. But trouble seems to find us so we like to be prepared before it can rear its gods awful head."
You do not sense that she is hiding anything.
"I'm sure you all will want a drink. Most of your type do when they first arrive. Follow the inner wall to its end and turn right. Go straight to the market square. You'll see the One-Eyed Cat on the opposite side of the square. Wilf runs the place and his wife runs the inn next door."
http://www.baydragons.com/KeepontheBorderlands1.jpg

Raginmund
2013-11-01, 02:18 PM
Your concern does you credit Farwalker says in response to Elena's question But our former employer understands the dangers of the road and is likely as safe as anyone in this area.

After listening to the Gatekeeper's response, he walks in under the portcullis and follows along with the group, presumably towards this 'One-Eyed Cat'. Farwalker had no thirst for anything save water, but he wished to stay with his fellow travelers for now and knew that taverns were the best places to learn information about an area.

Lexin
2013-11-01, 02:52 PM
"Well, a drink would be nice. Anything we should know about this place, other than 'do not stir trouble'?" asks Christopher, before following the group to the tavern.

Samshiir
2013-11-01, 03:28 PM
"Well, a drink would be nice. Anything we should know about this place, other than 'do not stir trouble'?" asks Christopher, before following the group to the tavern.

"Don't even look like you are going to stir trouble." Talsius says in a deep, unexpressive voice as he looks at Christopher. Tal is speaking from past experience on the matter.

Kamakiri
2013-11-01, 05:35 PM
Sabine, How many people have come to the town recently, if you don't mind my curiousness?, Foust asks Sabine in a soft friendly tone.

R-Group
2013-11-02, 10:25 PM
As the gates creak open, Madhocc shoulders through and makes his way toward the Market Square, and with it the One-Eyed Cat. Shuffling alongside his companions, he listens intently, and notes the severity in the half-orc's comment. Interested, he glances over his shoulder toward the mixed breed; eying his wolf-pelt cloak and scars.

"What's you're story, eh, half-blood? You sound real sure for someone whose so in tune with solitude. It's been a long time since I've heard a good tale. They go finely with mead, after all. And damnation, I could use a pitcher o' that after the journey - my leg is killing me."

Samshiir
2013-11-03, 01:40 PM
"What's you're story, eh, half-blood? You sound real sure for someone whose so in tune with solitude. It's been a long time since I've heard a good tale. They go finely with mead, after all. And damnation, I could use a pitcher o' that after the journey - my leg is killing me."

"I will just say that the wilderness has given me more hospitality in my life than my own mother and childhood 'friends', who were human."

Tal obviously didn't want to talk about his history much, but he didn't let it anger him. He hardly ever let anything anger him. He had always told himself that he would never become the monster that was his human mother.

The half-orc was content with sitting in the tavern by himself, quietly eating a small meal and drinking alone.

Mafalin
2013-11-04, 09:55 AM
Oswald gives the gatekeeper a quick smile:

"I'm glad that the guardian has blessed you. Yes, a hot meal and a soft bed would be just what I need right now."

He turns to his fellow travelers (those remaining at the gate at least):

"Perhaps we could all take a meal together to celebrate a job well done? I suggest we follow the others to the tavern."

While awaiting the responses from the rest of the group Oswald notes Foust's question and listens in on Sabine's answer.

ybn1197
2013-11-04, 11:35 AM

Folks here a simple people. Times have been hard and we've learned through experience that the adventurous lot tend to swoop in, rile the native humanoids, and then leave just as quickly with their findings; leaving us to deal with the wrath of whichever tribe they disturbed. While we appreciate their efforts in thinning the forest of their numbers, we often are on the receiving end of their revenge. So don't be surprised if you're greeted with mistrust.

Sabine, How many people have come to the town recently, if you don't mind my curiousness?, Foust asks Sabine in a soft friendly tone.

Though his tone is friendly, something causes Sabine to become suspicious. She eyes Foust up and down, trying to gauge him. "Someone in particular you looking for?"

Lexin
2013-11-04, 03:15 PM
"Oh, that's something I need to take into account then..." he says a little absentmindedly, then he livens up and asks: We don't want to cause trouble, but we will need to find a job at some point, do you know if there are any available for us 'adventurous lot', and accepted by the locals?"

(after hearing her being all suspicious about Foust's question)
"Oh, don't be like that, that's pretty much a standard question wherever you go. Like, where can we get ale, where is the cheapest inn and such."

Not sure if I need a single Diplomacy roll or two... so I will roll 2 just in case.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Kamakiri
2013-11-04, 05:48 PM
After her explanation, Foust can understand Sabine's suspiciousness, Not looking for anyone,Foust turns and gives Christopher a look over before adding a little quip himself, unless you happen to know someone as cute as yourself, I just tend to like the quieter places myself.

ybn1197
2013-11-05, 02:53 PM
At Christopher's remark, Sabine looks down as if ashamed for her suspicions and harsh words. "If you're looking for work, you should definitely try the tavern. There are plenty of travelers who stop by here on their own and are always looking for assistance of one sort or another." She pauses, obviously thinking as to whether she should add to that or not. "And there have been a few new passer-by's over the last couple of weeks who have stayed on. They may be looking for someone or something."
Sabine looks at Foust again, unsure as to whether he is trying to be sincere even after her brush-off or if he is trying to smooth-talk her.

Raginmund
2013-11-05, 09:37 PM
"Perhaps we could all take a meal together to celebrate a job well done? I suggest we follow the others to the tavern."

I would be glad to share a meal. Farwalker says to the paladin. He moves along with the others towards the tavern.

Lexin
2013-11-07, 04:25 PM
"Thank you so much for all the help." he says with a wide smile.
He takes a step forward and adds with (excessive) energy in his voice
"To the tavern then!"

Da'Shain
2013-11-08, 12:04 AM
Elena frowns at the mention of thinning out native humanoids. Was there a problem with them encroaching on the keep? She would have to keep a sharp eye out. But for the nonce, she was satisfied with letting the others speak and simply drifting along with them. She nods at the suggestion of a shared meal, and smiles slightly. "I can think of no better way to begin our stay here, however brief."

ybn1197
2013-11-11, 03:12 PM
http://www.baydragons.com/KeepontheBorderlands2.jpg

You make your way around the entrance of the keep, noticing that the entryway forms a nice channel where an attacking enemy would sustain a hail of fire with the walls built up on both sides. As you turn into the Keep proper, you notice that residences line both sides of the street. Against the outer wall is the home of a fisherman (7a), a cobbler (7b), a tailor (7d), and a tanner (7e). Along the other side are two stores (9 and 10), though the building looks to be one large building. Continuing on, you enter into a large open area (13) where there are some empty stalls. It appears that the area is used on occasion as a market of some kind. Outside of the market are another couple of buildings, including a baker (7g), a locksmith (11), the Green Man Inn (14), and the One-Eyed Cat Tavern (15).

{more to follow}

ybn1197
2013-11-11, 03:29 PM
As you enter the tavern, you are greeted with sights and smells that are familiar as they are shared by taverns world-wide. A fireplace dominates the eastern wall of the building. Looking at it, you oddly find that you can see through the hearth, as though it is shared with the building alongside the tavern. The smell of spilled ale permeates the air. There are a number of empty tables scattered throughout the room. Being the middle of the morning, most of the normal patrons are more probably involved in their own vocations. There is an open doorway in the eastern wall alongside the fireplace that leads to another room.
Upon entering, a man scurries out from the back, a small wooden cask on his shoulder. He gently places the cask on the bar and smiles at you. "Good morning to you all. How can I be of service?"

Kamakiri
2013-11-11, 10:57 PM
Some food would be wonderful Foust narrowly beating his stomach's own statement

Lexin
2013-11-12, 02:32 PM
"...Then some ale to go with the food and, hopefully, some information about this beautiful place. Or just rumors, perhaps." adds Christopher, just a heartbeat after Foust finishes his sentence, and smiles back at the man who greeted them.

ybn1197
2013-11-12, 02:49 PM
"Ah! Food and drink. You have come to the right place my friends. Come, have a seat. Jess! Jess! Where is that girl?! Jess, we have customers!" The man turns around, looking in the common room, the entrance to the east, and back towards the bar, apparently looking for Jess. As his frustration builds, a young, pretty woman enters from the east area. She is dressed in homespun clothes and wears an apron covering the majority of these clothes. As she enters, she finishes wiping her hands on the apron and approaches the table. The man wheels around and smiles. "Ah, Jess, we have customers."

Jess smiles at you all. "What can I get everyone?"

Raginmund
2013-11-12, 03:45 PM
A bit of bread please. Farwalker says to the young woman. And a cup of water.

Lexin
2013-11-13, 02:37 PM
"I would prefer something warm, myself. A soup or a stew with bread and a mug of ale would be appreciated."

R-Group
2013-11-13, 08:03 PM
Madhocc takes a moment to grab a chair and sit down before answering, thankful for the warm haze of the tavern.

"I myself am partial to a bit o' mutton, or pork, if you have it. And ale'll do fine, as well."

Da'Shain
2013-11-13, 11:18 PM
"A bit of fish, if you have any, please," Elena says as she carefully unslings her bow and leans against the table next to her as she sits down, "and water for me as well."

ybn1197
2013-11-15, 11:48 AM
After everyone makes their order, Jess scurries off back the way she came. A minute or two passes and she returns, this time heading over to the bar where the man is standing, placing the cask in the shelves behind the bar. You hear her talking to him briefly and he begins to set up the drinks that were ordered.

Looking around the tavern, a couple of tables besides your own are occupied. At one table near the fireplace, a woman with red hair wearing a black gown sips slowly from a small steaming mug. She stares in your direction though you are unsure if she is staring outside or at you. Or nothing at all such is her stare. At another table a man wearing studded leather armor sits with his back to you. You see him eating a hot meal heartily while drinking from a mug of ale. He is either blissfully unaware that there are others in the tavern with him or he does not care. At a third table, a couple of men sit, joking between themselves. They both wear patchwork leather armor and have swords in scabbards at their sides. The swords are not peace-knotted but neither looks to be a trouble-maker.

Mafalin
2013-11-17, 09:54 AM
Oswald orders a helping of whatever hot food is on offer and a mug of ale to go with it. When the ale arrives he takes a drink, leans back and sighs happily:

"Though our trip was uneventful I'd still say we've earned this reward for a job well done."

Raginmund
2013-11-17, 06:38 PM
Farwalker nods to any suggestions or comments and, as he often does, tunes out his immediate companions and tries to perceive the wider world, paying particular attention to any conversations going on at other tables. He notes the red haired woman and gives her a slight nod of acknowledgment to see if she responds.

ybn1197
2013-11-18, 02:02 PM
Seeing Farwalker nod at her, the red-haired woman blinks, as if she truly was staring in thought. In response, she nods her head back at Farwalker in a quaint manner.

R-Group
2013-11-22, 09:58 PM
Spinning around in his chair to face the table, Madhocc lets out a deep sigh. After taking a moment to place his pack on the ground beside him, he addresses the group:

"Well, it would seem that I've been snubbed by the half-blood. So now my curiosity's been touched, and I've still got that hankerin' for a good tale. Anyone got somethin' to say? Otherwise I myself just might start talking."

Kamakiri
2013-11-23, 01:49 AM
Foust looks up from his meallightly saying, If it's gonna be story telling, I'll need another bowel.

Lexin
2013-11-23, 12:43 PM
Christopher eats and drinks until he is full, first time in a long time, as it is best to save food for later when travelling. He tries to get the attention of the waitress... Jess, was it? he thinks as he plans for the conversation.

R-Group
2013-11-23, 06:54 PM
Sitting up straight, Madhocc clears his throat and begins.

"Well then, if you're all eating, I might as well just get us started, shall I? Foust, I suggest ye get some more now, or else you'll miss the whole of it. I take it none of you've ever heard the old story of Windhall, eh? Well, let's hope that after this you won't forget it either!

There once was a great old King of Kings, who lived in a majestic castle atop the highest mountains of the known lands. Fourteen generations, it took, to build the stone citadel; and this one King was the last. Larger than the largest manner-house, filled with untold riches and vast larders - the simple sight of so much food could bring tears to your eyes!

Now, this King's name was Tonnim, and he called his keep Windhall, since it was so built so high up that the winds themselves originated from its wide chambers. These building wakes created massive, thunderous roars as they raced through the halls of Tonnim's home. And as for Tonnim himself, he was no stranger to loud noises - a great fat man, he loved to brag and hear himself speak. Now naturally, despite the grandeur of his home, or the luxury of his life, those massive bursts o' wind would send him into a rage each and every time they came. Since whenever they passed, the King wouldn't get the chance t' hear himself!

So then one day, he was having his morning meal: a great steaming pile of biscuits, gravy, chicken, and ale - whatever you can imagine! And as he chews, he starts to smack his lips. And doin' so, he thinks to himself, 'Why, I'm so noble, even when I spit, and lick my lips, everyone should bow to me!'

He came to this conclusion right as his servants were bringing another heaping portion of food. And so he decides to put this to the test. He looks over at them and order that they watch him as he eats. Only, before he can say anything, there come the winds rushing through his gallery. And his voice is completely drowned out.

Suffice to say, he begins to scream and have a fit, knocking his plates and bowls to the floor. When his servants ask him what the matter was, he only shouts, 'Bring me another helping!' So off they go to bring him more to eat.

When he gets the next set of food, he immediately tucks in, cramming more and more into his wide mouth. he turns back to the servants, trying to order that they watch him. But as soon as he tries, there come the winds again! His voice is drowned out. And just like the last time, this puts him to an edge; he pitches another fit - making a mess of everything.

Just like last time, he orders them bring him another round of it all. And just as it happened, he stuffs his face full, starts to yell at his servants, and then the winds roar through. Suffice to say, this goes on for a long while. Not only was Tonnim arrogant and stupid, he was also stubborn. Sure enough, he spends the whole day at the breakfast table - eventually even forgetting what he started out trying to do! All he can remember is that each time the winds cut him off, he demands another pile of foodstuffs.

And all the time, what escapes his knowledge was his girth! With every handful that he stuffed past his many chins, he grows just a little bit rounder! So, by the end of the day, when his servants start to bring some roast boar for dinner, his fat old body's drooping right onto the table. You could even hear the stones of the floor starting to give way, and his chair creaking like an oak caught in a storm.

So they place the greasy boar the table in front of him. Amid bursts of his own winds, and groans from the chair, Tinnom suddenly remembered what he had been trying to do all along. With grumbles and struggles, he slowly climbs to his feet. He reaches out, and grabs a fistful of meat, tearing it from the bone. He draws all his servants near and shouts in their faces, spittle blowing out onto them: 'All of you, look at your King!' he cries, 'for I am so noble, that my castle is above the Earthly winds. Gaze in wonder, for my every action is perfection! I dwell in Windhall, and am above everything!' With that, he takes a monstrous bite from the boar. And then just a bit off schedule, come the winds.

The only difference is, this time Tinnom was standing up. Now, since he grew so much that day, his feet were too small for his immense girth! The thunderous wind blow him onto his rear - collapsing his chair beneath him, and the floor as well! In the end, a whole half of the castle collapses from his tumble to the floor, and is send crashing down the mountainside into the foggy clouds below.

In the end, I suppose, we would have to make the decision: was Tinnom's undoing caused his big mouth, his fat stomach, or his wide ass?"
With that, Madhocc collapses into a fit of laughter, and gulps down a mouthful of ale.

EDIT: Spoilered the story, so it wouldn't take up so much space.

Raginmund
2013-11-24, 05:34 PM
Madhocc's story amused Farwalker. Gluttony is deadly vice indeed,He says. As is hubris.

After the merriness from the tale died down, he spoke a question I'm curious. Do any of you know who is master of this keep?

ybn1197
2013-11-25, 10:55 AM
As you are all laughing and joking and carrying on, Jess seems to notice Christopher's attention and makes her way to the table. "Is there anything I can get you?"

Lexin
2013-11-25, 04:52 PM
"Well, the food was great, but I would like to know a few things, do you have a moment to talk, perhaps?" he says with his best, charming smile and tone.
"As you've probably noticed, we are new in this town, so some basics like a best place to find accommodation and a best place to purchase equipment, would be very useful information." he adds after a moment and speaks more quietly to say:
"Sooner or later we would also be looking for a job... We were told that someone here might be looking... Yet, I don't like to work with someone I don't know... Could you perhaps tell me anything about surrounding us patrons?" at the end he nods slightly to indicate the woman who was staring at them, and after brief hesitation also the people in leather armors.

ybn1197
2013-12-02, 03:20 PM
"Well, Wilf's wife Calista runs The Green Man, the inn next door," she indicates pointing through the doorway where she has passed in and out several times since your arrival. "There is also the Guild House, however you need to be a member of some sort of merchant's guild to stay there. As for equipment, you will want to go to the Quartermaster's store." She pauses and then adds, "Its only called that out of habit. When Lord Macsen was still here, it was a Quartermaster's building. The name has just stuck. Moseley is the proprietor and he can help you with anything you may be looking for.

"For work, you can do what most people of your kind do. The hills surrounding us here are infested with small humanoid tribes. Goblins, Kobolds, the like. Every so often a group of people like yourselves comes into town and whips themselves up into a frenzy and heads out into the hills to take as many heads and loot as they can. Sometimes, Devereau is even willing to give a bounty on whichever tribe has caused the most trouble recently.

She pauses again to catch her breath and smiles noticing the tilt of your head. "She," Jess says in a conspiratorial tone, "is Asenath. She arrived here a couple of days ago alone. She says she is the sole survivor of a group of adventurers who were ambushed along the road a half-days ride from here. I think she may be looking for someone to ally herself with and seek some retribution.

Those two over there are Wort and Joop. They man the gatehouse at night. The other man is Cob. He's a woodsman who spends most of his time in the hills. Every so often he comes in with skins for the tanner and then drinks his earnings away here. When the money is gone, he collects his things and heads back out to the woods to do it again.

Kamakiri
2013-12-03, 09:20 PM
After letting jess finish. Foust 's interest perks up and saying may I please have two ales and a warm loaf of bread.

ybn1197
2013-12-04, 08:12 AM
Jess smiles and turns to Foust. "Of course. Would anyone like anything else?"

Raginmund
2013-12-05, 09:44 AM
Farwalker shakes his head to Jess's query.

"A fellow adventurer." he says, indicating the newly identified Asenath. "Is that who your extra ale is for, Foust?"

Kamakiri
2013-12-05, 09:16 PM
Foust replies with a smug smile on his face. "I have found that drinks tend to make great friends." With that Foust walks up to the table sits down and without saying a word places one mug of ale in front of the woman along with half of the loaf of bread.

Lexin
2013-12-07, 12:45 PM
"No, thank you. I think, I have everything I need for now." says Christopher, before turning to his friends.

"Well, I wonder how that goes..." he says quietly watching as Foust approaches Asenath.

'Ale and half a loaf of bread... interesting way to start a conversation with a woman...' he thinks with sheer amusement.

ybn1197
2013-12-10, 01:48 PM
Foust replies with a smug smile on his face. "I have found that drinks tend to make great friends." With that Foust walks up to the table sits down and without saying a word places one mug of ale in front of the woman along with half of the loaf of bread.

The woman, shaken from her revere, looks Foust up and down before shifting her gaze to the offered ale bread. With a blank face, she looks at Foust, blinks once, and says "Can I help you." Her tone indicates it is not a question, but more of a statement.

Kamakiri
2013-12-10, 09:25 PM
Foust sits down and says in return to the statement, "only if you think you can drink another mug of ale and help me finish off this loaf of bread. Otherwise it might go stale, and no-one likes stale bread."

ybn1197
2013-12-11, 02:41 PM
A smile seems to crack the corner of the left side of her face, a chink in her otherwise stoic countenance. "Very well." She reaches out and grasps the mug of ale, taking a deep draught from it. She rests the mug back on the table and reaches for the bread, breaking off a piece and popping it into her mouth. "Now, your turn. What is it you want?"

Kamakiri
2013-12-12, 08:53 PM
While there are many things I want, there are only a few that a probably attainable. Top on that list is to sit and enjoy the company of a pretty woman while filling my quite empty stomach; however, a name would also be nice. Foust again says matter-o-factly and with all honesty as he cracks a smile.

ybn1197
2013-12-17, 10:30 AM
"My name is Asenath. And I have found that strange men who buy you drinks and bring something to eat do not simply want a table to share. There is always something else attached to their smile and offers. So I will cut straight to the point, and I hope you will too, and ask what is it you want? If you are looking for someone to help warm your bed for the night, I will thank you for the drink and bread and ask you go about your merry way."

Kamakiri
2013-12-17, 06:39 PM
Foust stares blankly at the woman for a moment before replying. Oh no, not at all sorry to offend you. I have just found that it is usually the most quiet people who have the best stories. And I thought it was a strange place to be alone so I figured I would give you some company. Again my apologies.With that foust sticks the rest of the bread he is holding in his mouth, gets up from the chair and between chewing says. If you would like more bread you are welcome to join us. We're a strange bunch and I don't really know any of them, but they seem like good people.

ybn1197
2013-12-21, 03:02 PM
Foust returns to the table, rejoining the others. Conversions between yourselves continues for a few minutes and then you realize the woman, Azenath, is standing to the side of your table, the drink Foust purchased in one hand and her portion of the bread in the other. Once the conversation stops and all eyes are on her, she looks at everyone and asks, "Might I have a seat? I seem to have let the tragedy which befell my previous comrades to override my sensibilities."

Raginmund
2013-12-22, 11:11 AM
"Please join us, good lady." Farwalker says, while pulling out a chair for Azenath "I'm sorry to hear of your comrades. Our journey here was uneventful, though we've heard rumors of dangers in this area."

R-Group
2013-12-22, 07:28 PM
"Aye, take a seat. There's always space for another, in't that right?"

ybn1197
2013-12-23, 01:41 PM
Without waiting for anyone else to speak up, Asenath pulls a chair over to the table and has a seat. "And what rumors have you heard," she says matter of factly.

Raginmund
2013-12-25, 04:56 PM
"Only that there are many restless tribes of humanoids in this area. And we've heard of your misfortune, though we do not know the details."

ybn1197
2014-01-06, 12:00 PM
"My company was heading south towards the keep here from the town of Wolverton to the north. About a half-days ride from here, we were ambushed by a group of goblins. The battle was fierce but they outnumbered us and took out everyone except for myself. I barely escaped and made my way here by a maddening pace, my poor horse nearly expired upon our arrival."

R-Group
2014-01-06, 08:28 PM
"Well lass, you've sparked my curiosity. Goblins outnumbered you did they? Well, it's they only way they'd have the courage to fight, I'd say. Do you happen to recall how many there were?"

ybn1197
2014-01-07, 08:16 AM
She looks to Madhocc. "There were 5 of us in our company and they easily outnumbered us three to one. There may have been more but there wasn't time for a count. Their surprise was complete, we had no idea they were there until they were upon us."

Kamakiri
2014-01-07, 03:04 PM
"Why were you traveling here?" Foust asks

ybn1197
2014-01-08, 07:15 AM
Turning to Foust, she answers, "We weren't. At least not directly. We were planning on stopping here for a night or two to get a hot meal and soft bed. We were trying to reach Bridgefort. Delwor had contacts in the city and we were hoping to get an adventuring charter to conduct some exploration."

Raginmund
2014-01-08, 01:12 PM
"I apologize for prying, but what are your plans now? We find ourselves at loose ends as well and, speaking strictly for myself, I think seeking justice for your comrades is a worthy aim. Perhaps we could get the authorities here to support or even hire us to keep the area safer.

Mafalin
2014-01-08, 07:08 PM
After a long silence spent focused on his food Oswald speaks up in a firm voice:

"Though I believe that pursuing revenge will only be to a person's detriment in the long run goblins who attack travelers nevertheless need to be dealt with to keep the roads safe. I agree with Master Farwalker."

He turns to Azenath:

"I am Oswald of Dranmoor, Paladin of the Defender, pleased to meet you; even if I wish it were under happier circumstances."

R-Group
2014-01-08, 08:08 PM
Madhocc takes a deep drought of ale and leans back in his chair before agreeing with Oswald's solemn words.

"Aye, I'm with the Paladin. Beasts of every kind need to be dealt with in turn. Mayhaps we could be of aid to you in gettin' your - shall we say - closure?"

ybn1197
2014-01-13, 02:39 PM
Azenath looks at the assembled group in front of her in surprise. "I honestly didn't think that I would have others interested in what befell my comrades and be so interested in pressing on for their revenge or justice, depending on your moral bend.
"I've been here long enough to do some checking around. Devereau, the castellan of the keep, does not hire people to clear out the humanoids. But he is fair about that decision so he doesn't tax anything you find and bring out. He figures any treasure found in their lair will only be used and spent here anyway thereby refreshing the revenue of the keep. A win-win situation for him, the lairs get cleaned out and the money goes back into the economy. Its why the people here have continuously elected him for the position.
"But I would greatly appreciate joining you if you elect to ferret out the goblins in the area."

Mafalin
2014-01-13, 07:29 PM
"If these goblins are a threat, as they seem to be, I view it as my duty to try and do something about the situation..."

Oswald looks around the table at his fellow travellers questioningly:

"...though I would not presume to speak for the others."

R-Group
2014-01-13, 08:22 PM
"When it comes to fightin', Oswald, you can speak for us much as you like. I'm all for it!"

Madhocc raises his mug of ale above his head and gives a raucous shout to close his statement, before finishing with a long quaff of the malty drink.

Raginmund
2014-01-13, 09:11 PM
"I will gladly commit myself." Farwalker says.

Kamakiri
2014-01-15, 01:26 AM
Foust looks at the others sitting at the table before adding, "I'm always down for a journey and I am happy to hear you have decided to join with us."

ybn1197
2014-01-29, 02:58 PM
The four of you nod your agreement to assist Asenath in finding the goblin tribe which attacked her and her companions. At the same time, the door to the One-Eyed Cat opens and a tall thin woman is framed in the glare of the sun illuminating the room. The woman is simply dressed, obviously having just arrived from the room. She carries few possessions but what is odd is the owl perched on her shoulder. The newest visitor to the Green Man Inn witnesses this as well as she uses the interconnecting hallway between the inn and tavern to grab some food. The trip here to the keep was a rough difficult one and she had little plans to stay here as the folk of the keep were simple folk. That is, unless the group at the nearby table proved to be interesting.

AngryCyc
2014-01-29, 05:35 PM
Laramie orders a light meal and some drink, and sits off in some corner quietly observing the den of mundane laid out before her. She makes a show of popping pieces of food up in the air for her owl Eol to catch. Though it looks like she's concentrating on this task, she's actually quite busy studying the people around her, hoping for a spark or the slightest hint of power and adventure to arise.

oyzar
2014-01-30, 04:35 PM
Tamara Atrial had just finished getting out of her armor for the evening and tidied herself up. Though given that she wanted to look presentable that took quite a bit of time.

She has freshly washed and combed hair. It's slightly curly and a brownish red, reaching nearly down to her chest. She is dressed in a tight-fitting dress that leaves her arms free and shows of quite a bit of cleavage from her shapely medium to large bossom. Her dress reaches down past her knees and it fits very snuggly over her perfectly shaped hips. The dress is yellow and made of simple cotton, though well made, clearly designed specifically for he. She got a simple necleace ending in three minature daggers with point outwards, one pointing down between her breasts, the other two pointing pointing up toward each of her shoulders. The After being wrapped up all day beneath my armor it feels great to let my breasts get a bit of room. Ah, what is this, an adventuring party? I would not mind finding friends. Revenge for your fallen friends, why don't you say. And those men doesn't all look bad. She thinks to herself as she listen in on the conversation and eyes the men up and down. She changes her direction and instead of heading to the bar to order she heads over to the group.

With a smile she opens her mouth "Hello there. I couldn't help but overhear the talk of revenge. My godess does certainly approve of such a thing. If there truly are as many goblins as you tell, some help might not come misplaced. I don't know any of you, but I might want to get to know you better. Who knows, we might all find the experience pleasurable." She winks at Oswald. "Life is not all about valor, justice, and honor, one should also find nice things where one can."

R-Group
2014-01-30, 09:20 PM
Madhocc shifts in his chair to observe their new arrival to the table. He looks her up and down, and glances uncomfortably back to the others before responding. Scratching the back of his head, he speaks more quietly than before, in the company of a stranger.

"Lass, correct me if'n I'm wrong, but just what about the prospect 've clearing out a goblin tribe is pleasurable?"

oyzar
2014-01-31, 02:31 PM
Tamara shakes her head, a frown on her face. "You misunderstand me greatly. Clearing out the goblins is not pleasurable, but doing that would mean revenge for her fallen comrades, which is a worthy pursuit. The pleasureable part was simply the time I could spend with you all. It's lonely to travel alone on the road. It's much better to have someone to share stories with around the campfire or talk with on the road and the like."

ybn1197
2014-01-31, 02:44 PM
Azenath looks over at the red-haired woman as the conversation plays out between her and Madhocc. You even begin to see a slight smile crack the side of her mouth. "I can't speak for anyone else at this table but I would certainly enjoy your company of this endeavor. No offense gentlemen, but it certainly would be nice to have another woman in this."

AngryCyc
2014-01-31, 03:09 PM
Laramie keeps watching the scene but thinks she might see the opportunity to take advantage of the situation...

"Well if you're looking for female companionship, and the rest of you lot are looking to slaughter some goblins, I think I might be able to help... Expecting due repayment for my aid of course.

I think you'll find I'm particularly adept at slaying the foul little beasties I think you'll find... she finishes with a flourish of the blade she carries.

R-Group
2014-01-31, 09:54 PM
"Tripling the women in only a few minutes? Has there been some sort o' infestation lately?" Madhocc sputters, eyes shifting quickly form one new arrival to the next, "I s'pose I can't stop yeh from coming along, I only met these fellows a few days ago anyhow. Still though, seems odd to me."

He pauses a moment to drain the last of his ale, dropping the empty mug to the table with a clatter. Belching, he then returns his focus to the younger woman with the red-hair. "Revenge, huh? What is it 'bought revenge that makes you so eager to pursue it, even on another's behalf?"

Kamakiri
2014-02-01, 01:54 AM
Foust listens to the conversation and before anyone can reply to Madhocc's question, he asks "Would anyone like more bread?"

AngryCyc
2014-02-01, 07:43 AM
"I would love some bread. And maybe some names as well. Laramie is mine, and this owl is Eol. What about yours?"

oyzar
2014-02-01, 07:50 AM
"I am quite hungry. I came here to eat after a long day. Some bread would be nice. Where are my manners? My name is Tamara Atrial. As for revenge, I am a cleric of Calistria and revenge is well within her domain. I would not worship her if I did not agree with her ideals." Tamara lets her hand go to the symbol hanging between her breasts and holds it out for the others to see.

Raginmund
2014-02-01, 08:29 AM
"Tuldan Farwalker is my name." he replies to Laramie. "This seems very serendipitous. An adventure waiting, chance meetings in a tavern. A shame there is no bard here to note the occasion"

R-Group
2014-02-01, 03:24 PM
"I can't recall much of my old tribal tongue, if it came to it I probably couldn't speak a word of anymore. I've taken the name Madhocc, bastardized from my the tribal and the common speaks. A remembrance, if you will, of past times."

Madhocc furrows his brow at Tamara's holy symbol. "Just keep in mind, Ma'am, the consequences of holding so dangerous a notion to be holy. Calistria's fickle, and temperamental. Let's hope yer not of the same type, yeh?"

oyzar
2014-02-01, 04:02 PM
"Once Calistria sets her sights on something, she does not waver. Fickle is constantly changing your targets and objective, Calistria is anythign but. I admire her determination in getting what she wants one way or another. Do not try to lecture me on my God scarred one." Tamara smiles. "As for tempramental, I would say passionate would be a better term, once she decides on something she will pursue it with fervor, whether it be a foe to defeat or a desirable partner to spend pleasurable time with. Anger and rage are certainly not among her domains. When it comes to vengeance, it's better to think before you act to figure out how to best carry it out. Which brings us to. What have you guys been planning before I came here? How long does it take to get to the goblins? How are we getting there? How do we avoid them ambushing us on the way? Seeing as none of us are exactly extreemly familiar with the area, maybe it would be wise to seek local knowledge. Or maybe you know your way around here, Laramie?" Se looks around the group as she asks her questions, but the last one predictably ends with her looking at Laramie.

Raginmund
2014-02-03, 03:29 PM
"If we're searching for local knowledge I believe that man there" he indicates his the man eating a meal with a brief point. "is a local woodsman. Our server said his name was Cobb. He's likely to know goings on in the wilds around here."

Kamakiri
2014-02-04, 11:14 PM
"My name is Foust" Foust says simply as he goes to get more bread, allowing himself to linger by the oven to smell the rest of the dough that is being cooked.

ybn1197
2014-02-10, 02:39 PM
Calista spots Faust by the oven and hurries over. She checks the bread and turning, smiles at Faust giving him the one more minute signal with her hand. Over at the other table, Cobb seems oblivious to the conversation mentioning him while the group discusses the layout of the surrounding lands.

Asenath chimes in to Tamara's questions. "The journey is little over half a day to where my group was ambushed. I can't believe that the goblins ranged very far from their lair so I am sure it is somewhere in the nearby vicinity to the ambush site. As for getting there, there is a stable near the entrance of the keep where horses may be purchased. The local merchant, or Quartermaster as they call him here, goes by the name of Moseley. I haven't dealt with him yet as I hear he is a little steep with his prices. Avoiding ambushes? Now that we know they are out there, it should be easy to spot them. We were completely unaware when they caught us. We were told the way was clear and as close as we were to the Keep, none of us thought there would be any danger in letting our guard down."

Kamakiri
2014-02-10, 07:56 PM
Foust takes a deep breath through is nostrils as the oven is open and when Calista gestures that he must wait, he gives a sarcastic motion as if to say "Oh come on...." He then pulls up a chair a little ways from the oven where the smell of bread is still powerfully in reach. He turns to Calista and asks "not to pry but how did you get your start here?"

ybn1197
2014-02-11, 08:25 AM
Calista smiles at Foust. "I was born here. My parents built the tavern and inn. And when they passed, the business was passed to my husband and I." She looks over at the bar and smiles at Wilf. "My brother wanted nothing to do with it. He is content farming the land. We home someday to pass it on to our daughter and her husband, but only time will tell."

R-Group
2014-02-22, 11:40 PM
Madhocc rubs his hands together excitedly, and gathering his gear climbs to his feet. He addresses the others, while adjusting various straps across his chest.

"Well then, seems to me all we need is a guide ta' get us there. I've been itchin' for a good fight few days now. Now sense in waitin' any longer then."

Brushing the crumbs off his cloak, he trundles across the room towards the huntsman, calling out as he goes: "I heard you're named Cobb, and a damn fine woodsman. We're in need of a guide, so's we can settle a score with some nasty little beasts 'bout a days walk from the Keep. Care ta' lend us a hand? Might be some coin in it for you, if you'd like."

Kamakiri
2014-02-23, 03:50 PM
Foust eyes Madhocc stand and move over to the woodsman. He turns back to Castilla and wishes he well saying "I hope that everything works out for you and yours, it looks like we are preparing to move out." He picks up a loaf of the warm bread and places a gold coin in Castilla's hand. Then moving back over the group he asks, "so we have found something to do?." He then eyes Tamara's shapely body, and embarrassing himself sticks a large chunk of bread in his moth.