PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Advice on an Aasimar Paladin for pathfinder society play

ArchangelAzrael
2013-10-30, 10:07 AM
Hello everyone:smallbiggrin:! I am planning on making a character for the pathfinder society and I need help with 2 things:

Firstly is the character legal?

Secondly do you think I could do better with some of the choices I made?

Ok moving to the character in question.
Race: Angel-blooded Aasimar ( Human would probably be better but I like the fluff of the race)
as alternative racial traits I chose Deathless spirit , Scion of Humanity and Truespeaker
Stats before racial mod (20 point buy):
-str: 14
-dex: 12
-con: 14
-int: 14
-wis: 7
-cha: 15
Traits: Magical Knack or Dangerously Curious or Armor Expert or Reactionary or Birthmark. I am not sure at all about this one. How useful is magical Knack on a Paladin? Is it having Dangerously Curious better? I looked at some good wands I could use but does a +4 on use magic device overcome the +2 CL especially since I am considering getting unsanctioned knowledge as a feat. Birthmark will likely not be chosen as Paladins don’t need a divine focus so much and I can always have one tattooed on me. Initiative is always good but having a +1 on all dex and str check is enticing as well. All in all pretty indecisive on this one help would be much appreciated.
Feats:
Fey foundling (lvl1)
Power attack (lvl3)
Deadly aim or Unsanctioned knowledge (lvl5)
Deadly aim or Unsanctioned knowledge (lvl7)
Angelic Blood (lvl9)
Angelic Wings (lvl11)
(Deadly aim or Unsanctioned knowledge is up for debate. Not sure about either… I could as easily go extra mercy and/or ultimate mercy or just extra lay on hands)
Items:
Four-mirror armor 45 gp
Nodachi 60 gp
Shield, light steel 9 gp
Gauntlet, spiked 5 gp
Morningstar 16 gp
Sling 0 —
Kit, paladin's 11 gp

If I could I would go for a silvered spiked gauntlet but that would push me outside of budget.

So what do you think? Is it solid? Weak? Have I neglected something terrible? Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Spore
2013-11-01, 08:45 AM
Since no one offers better help, I might as well try. First of all, I don't know exact PFS rules, so your build might as well be illegal.

Here we go.
Race: Aasimar is a great choice, fluffwise and mechanical. Deathless spirit however....is highly situational and replaces the great celestial resistances. I'd say no to it, and I have played a homebrew undead campaign. It's just not worth it. Scion is good, because you don't have to convince every second commoner that you're not "the arch angel Tyrael". Skilled is a great choice for the face.

Stats: I cringe because of Int and Wis. Why 14 Int? I know, you want some social skills, but Diplomacy, Sense Motive (which sucks with your WIS btw), Knowledge Religion is the standard setup plus Linguistics in your case. I would say, you take the favored class to skills (max HP isn't an issue because you can lay on hands literally every turn), take Int 12 and sport your Cha up to 16. On Lv 4, bump your Wisdom.

Traits: Your traits are...odd. Do you want to multiclass into a caster? Yes? If you want to make an Oradin (Oracle with Life Link or Lv 3, then yes, otherwise NOOO) I'd say buff your strengths. Armor expert is great, because it softens the impact of your armor penalty. Sadly, you don't have points for UMD (or you go your route and take 14 Int with Ling., UMD, Diplo. Sense Motive and Knowledge Religion), which is a actually a good idea.

Dangerously Curious + Armor Expert, if you stay true Paladin,
Dangerously Curious + Magical Knack, if you multiclass into Oracle.

Feats: True Paladin/Oath of Vengeance(assuming twohanded weapons) -> (1) Power Attack (3) Greater Mercy (5) Lunge (7) Furious Focus (9) Angelic Blood (11) Angelic Wings (if you have enough languages, switch the points from Linguistics to Fly)
Hospitaler+Life Oracle (1) Fey Foundling (3) Toughness (btw, switch your extra Skill Points to HP when you hit oracle levels) (5) Extra Channeling (7) Selective Channeling (9) Unsanctioned Knowledge (11) idk seriously

Check that guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365) for the Oradin.

As for gear, I can't make recommendations.