PDA

View Full Version : What class to play with insane stats

Mygicmeen
2013-10-30, 12:10 PM
Hi y'all, so my dm is restarting a campaign that ended a couple years ago. We're are all insanely powerful. I unfortunately lost my character sheet and got to reroll. My rolls were as follows (5d6 drop the lowest) 21, 21, 20, 20, 19, 15. The campaign is being converted to pathfinder, but we are keeping our stat increases from half fiend template in 3.5. (+4str,dex,int +2con,cha)

So i was thinking a halfling or gnome bard, or a dwarf monk. He won't let me be an inquisitor for some reason. I made a monk last night, and i wasn't terribly impressed with it. So what do you guys think i should make? I feel like the stats scream something melee. Also we already have a wizard and a magus and probably a rogue. I'd like to stay away from range. And zen archer is flat banned. Also we will be picking back up at level 9.

Flickerdart
2013-10-30, 12:13 PM
Great stats might make you tempted to play a class that uses many different ability scores, but don't do it! Stat boosts outside of the +X enhancement items are very expensive, so you will end up only being able to boost one or two stats to high enough levels anyway.

Xaotiq1
2013-10-30, 12:18 PM
If you can run 3.5 material, I suggest a Dragonfire Adept or a Totemist.

Mygicmeen
2013-10-30, 12:18 PM
I don't think i need worry bout stat boosts with the lowest ability being a 15 before template increases. And headbands and belts are something every class should be getting anyways. the stats are why I'm leaning towards a MAD class. I mean theoretically i could have a 25str/dex out of the box before ability increases from levels

Mygicmeen
2013-10-30, 12:19 PM
3.5 material will not be allowed =/

Also the more interesting the character the better

ArqArturo
2013-10-30, 12:47 PM
Oradin (Paladin/Oracle), or a Magus.

Mygicmeen
2013-10-30, 02:56 PM
What would a paladin oracle look like? Would you split it in half? What is the end goal? A stronger melee character supported by magic?

Spore
2013-10-30, 03:01 PM
What would a paladin oracle look like? Would you split it in half? What is the end goal? A stronger melee character supported by magic?

A Life oracle with life link, great action milage due to free lay on hands on self, great melee capabilities and awesome spells. With your stats, after some levels you are basically the healer, protector, damage dealer and buffer of the bunch. Debuff and blasting is out of your reach, because of the lacking CL, but you didn't want that anyways.

I'd say: Paladin 2, Oracle onwards.

Eldariel
2013-10-30, 03:02 PM
Just a simple Cleric would work extremely well. Cleric straight-up uses all stats quite well, they are superb melee warriors when self-buffing, and you'd provide the party with some of the magic you are lacking (Magic Vestment, Resurrection, etc.), and allows you to use Wands of Cure Light Wounds for downtime healing if desired.

Clerics can also be customized for whatever you want really so it's overall a strong, safe pick. It's also somewhat similar to the Inquisitor, just better in just about every way, so there's that. With that Dexterity, the fact that you are limited to Medium & Light Armor is no problem whatsoever (pick up Mithril Breastplate at the earliest convenience, Celestial Armor down the line), with that Strength & Con you truly have no trouble in melee, with that Cha you'll have plenty of Channel Energy (though it doesn't fuel anything amazing in PF) and with that Wis (plus all level-ups) your spellcasting will be at the very least competitive and you can use save-or-die spells as necessary, and you'll have plenty of slots. Int guarantees solid pool of skills to round it all out.

Mygicmeen
2013-10-30, 03:33 PM
I like the idea of the cleric, you make a good argument for it, i will just have to make myself more familiar with the spells. What about a mystic thurge? I think i read it was a trap though

Eldariel
2013-10-30, 03:47 PM
I like the idea of the cleric, you make a good argument for it, i will just have to make myself more familiar with the spells. What about a mystic thurge? I think i read it was a trap though

If you wanna be a frontliner, no. You lose a lot of BAB for little gain, and delay the access to Cleric's superb buff-spells and the caster level to make true use out of them severely. Other than that, the primary issue with Mystic Theurge is how far behind you set yourself compared to a single-classed caster. Like, Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 1 has 2nd level spells at caster level 4 when Cleric 7 or Wizard 7 is casting 4th level spells on caster level 7.

The difference between the options a single-classed character has vs. Mystic Theurge is massive; having two spell lists is nothing if you don't get to the good spells in either. Also, there are many good spells that scale with caster level (obvious ones being Dispel Magic, Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestment, etc.) where you'll forever be behind even with the +2 Caster Level buff trait (Magical Knack IIRC). It's also much easier to dispel your spells and your long duration buffs have significantly reduced durations. Overall, generally not worth considering unless you start on level 20 (where you finally catch up in one class spell level-wise).

Madwand99
2013-10-30, 04:25 PM
The Cleric suggestion is excellent. You also have great stats for a Druid. You can focus on improving Wisdom while having great stats for Wild Shape to build off of.

Metahuman1
2013-10-30, 04:44 PM
My suggestions.

Oracle or Auradin.

Alchemist.

Paladin.

If you've got access to the books/SRD for them, a Pathfinder Psiwarrior, Soulknife or Occultist.

If possible, check out the path of war project being discussed on this forum, and see if you can play a Warlord, Stalker or Warder, cause there awesome.

RaviStrife
2013-10-30, 04:58 PM
Seconding druid. As all the shapeshifting in pathfinder is based on your initial stats, you're in the best position to take advantage of a shapeshift followed by Animal Growth.

Ever play a bear, riding a bear, while summoning bears? Good times.

Spore
2013-10-30, 07:19 PM
Oracle or Auradin.

I really like Paladin variants. What exactly is an Auradin?

Metahuman1
2013-10-30, 07:25 PM
I really like Paladin variants. What exactly is an Auradin?

It's a multyclass paladin build with a few levels of Oracle. It covers the party's healing needs just on like 3 levels of Oracle if I recall correctly, and still leaves open action economy for doing other stuff like wailing on bad guys and slinging spells, which the paladin chassis in pathfinder is fairly good at.

I like Halfling or Gnome's myself for a medium mount and mounted combat more or less anywhere. But that's personal preference.

Mygicmeen
2013-10-30, 08:04 PM
I like the thought of a druid. Much more preferable to the cleric in fact. I also like the versatility of the animal shape, and the great spell list. So the real question is, I most definitely feel like I would like to be up in peoples faces as a...whatever really, what kind of feats do I take? Normal melee feats? Meta magic feats? Obviously wild cast or whatever its called is a must at level 5. I think that's the level anyways.

Eldariel
2013-10-30, 08:21 PM
You can't actually Animal Growth yourself since size-changing effects don't work on Polymorphed characters. Also, while I haven't rehearsed the PF versions of the rules lately, I don't think your Type changes either.

Either way, Druid should be fine too. Cleric offers more party utility (especially Magic Vestment; Wizard can cast Greater Magic Weapon just fine - also, Cleric resurrection abilities are superior) while Druid offers more personal power. You probably want few melee feats. At the very least you want Multiattack so you can actually fight in melee with forms with good natural attacks (i.e. the type you want to use). You might want to consider combat maneuver feat if you plan on grappling or tripping a lot; the forms you use grant basic abilities for these but the feats should work on top of it.

Extend Spell is nice with your buffs and you'll eventually want Quicken Spell. Whether you want Crafting Feats depends on the campaign of course; how much downtime, does the rest of the party have 'em, etc. Spell Penetrations can be useful as well, and Dazing Spell can be fun to play around with (Druid has some long duration damage spells which can work quite well with it; Call Lightning for instance).

Oh, and even though Summon Nature's Ally is a bit weaker in PF than in 3.5, Augment Summoning is still a nice feat with your spontaneous casting of Summon Nature's Ally.

Druid Handbook (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/druid-handbook-part-1) is probably worth checking out.

GoblinArchmage
2013-10-30, 08:26 PM
Make a Commoner. With abilities like that you don't actually need to contribute anything to the party. When the other players eventually get frustrated with your apparent uselessness, smugly remind them that you have better stats than them, and then smile and look pleased with yourself.

ArqArturo
2013-10-30, 09:37 PM
Perhaps monk/druid can also do the trick (martial artist archetype, in case you don't like the whole lawful thing). Just one or two levels is more than enough.

Metahuman1
2013-10-30, 09:40 PM
Synthisist Summoner

Str 15
Dex 19
Con 21
Int 20
Wis 20
Cha 21

Just a thought.

PaucaTerrorem
2013-10-31, 02:34 AM
Monkadin. You know you want to.

ArcturusV
2013-10-31, 02:43 AM
Well, Flickerdart is right. Even if you have amazing stat rolls, the best option really is still to go as SAD as possible. Not like your wizard is going to mind having a 15 strength. But it's a lot easier with your wealth to raise a single stat up to +11 faster than it is to raise 4 different stats up to +4.

But you seemed to settle on the valid (If not necessarily optimal) choice of playing something really MAD just because you can kinda get away with it in this case. Nothing wrong with that really. I don't know PF, but with an array like that I'd be tempted to do things like OA Samurai into Iajutsu Master myself. Not going to be awe inspiring game breaking but can be fun, throw in a lot of damage dice, and be a warrior who isn't just "Hulk smash!" and "Hulk trip!", but can do some other stuff for a change with a decent skill list and skill points.

Mygicmeen
2013-10-31, 02:48 AM
Monkadin. You know you want to.

Im not sure I would know which to take higher. I think both would need a substantial more than the other. 2 monk would be nice for the evasion, but then you can flurry smites. But not enough levels in paladin means not much damage from smite.

Also all of this discussion has kinda left me back at the oracle or oracle/paladin. I mean, we do need a healer. And I kind of want to be in the front line. A bonus plus is I think its probably more interesting, and something I am more familiar with than either cleric or druid.

Can one character have multiple lifelinks? ie one character healing 15hp/rd if they are injured for that much?

I also do not know which curse I would take. Perhaps haunted?

JHShadon
2013-10-31, 05:42 AM
Here's a fun idea; Greatsword Monk, start as a Crusader Cleric (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/crusader) of Gorum and use your bonus feat to get Weapon Focus(Greatsword), then go monk for the rest of your levels and for level 3 get Crusader's Flurry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/crusader-s-flurry) so you can flurry with your greatsword.

Feint's End
2013-10-31, 06:35 AM
I don't know PF, but with an array like that I'd be tempted to do things like OA Samurai into Iajutsu Master myself. Not going to be awe inspiring game breaking but can be fun, throw in a lot of damage dice, and be a warrior who isn't just "Hulk smash!" and "Hulk trip!", but can do some other stuff for a change with a decent skill list and skill points.

Actually seconding this ... with your stats you could do some fun things like dipping into Battledance and Monk and otherwise going Samurai to Iajutsu Master .... you now got Dex, Int, Wis and Cha to AC :smallcool: + you are a swordmonster

Spore
2013-10-31, 07:41 AM
Synthisist Summoner

Str 15
Dex 19
Con 21
Int 20
Wis 20
Cha 21

Just a thought.

Only if you WANT to overshadow all other PCs by soloing the fights.

Metahuman1
2013-10-31, 09:14 AM
Only if you WANT to overshadow all other PCs by soloing the fights.

He said he wanted to front line. This front lines. It also heals via summonings and contributes out of combat via spells and maybe careful skill investment.

If you go Auradin, I'd advise the following.

Small Race.

Str 21
Dex 20
Con 20
Int 19
Wis 15
Cha 21

Favor a lance as your weapon and once you've gotten your healing work attended too, pick up mounted combat feats, and stuff that boosts your mount. Then get a really powerful medium mount. Combat reflexes would not go amiss either, puts that dex to work for best effect.

You can be a good party face, the healer, and a solid melee asset.

Edit: Here's a link to the Oradin Build, in case it's helpful.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365&page=3

Coidzor
2013-10-31, 01:10 PM
Synthisist Summoner

Str 15
Dex 19
Con 21
Int 20
Wis 20
Cha 21

Just a thought.

Has the physical ability scores mostly go to waste though, doesn't it?

iTookUrNick
2013-10-31, 02:57 PM
I second (third?) the Druid. In PF they are quite MAD and usually need to specialize, but at the same time they would greatly benefit from the stats you mentioned.

Feat-wise, a few nice ones are powerful shape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/powerful-shape) and Planar Wild Shape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/planar-wild-shape), improving your melee capabilities. Augment Summoning can be really nice if you can find a way to summon as a standard action or less, such as if using the Saurian Shaman archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/saurian-shaman) or similar. Natural spell is a must, of course.
Later on, Divine Interference (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/divine-interference) is golden.

The animal companion is supposedly a better choice due to action-economy concerns, but if you'd rather not bother a few good domains for melee druids include Strength (Ferocity), War (Tactics) and Plant (Growth).

Handy guide link (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Y_uvQ0fgmLR9aW-OoAD_rbI-3iMJVQmxifLpA1s5EXg).

Stats: Str 21 Dex 20 Con 20 Int 19 Wis 21 Cha 15

Metahuman1
2013-10-31, 04:25 PM
Has the physical ability scores mostly go to waste though, doesn't it?

Yes, the Str is basically useless except for carrying capacity, so that's the lowest stat.

Dex and Con are only contingencies, which is why Dex is only 1 up form the bottom. That said, when he needs them, he REALLY needs them.

Wis and Int, hey, there not a big deal, but there slightly more useful a bit more of the time, with int governing skills points and Wis governing Will Saves, so they got better treatment then Dex and Str but worse then Con and Cha.

And Cha got top billing cause really useful.

Eldariel
2013-10-31, 06:24 PM
Yes, the Str is basically useless except for carrying capacity, so that's the lowest stat.

Dex and Con are only contingencies, which is why Dex is only 1 up form the bottom. That said, when he needs them, he REALLY needs them.

Wis and Int, hey, there not a big deal, but there slightly more useful a bit more of the time, with int governing skills points and Wis governing Will Saves, so they got better treatment then Dex and Str but worse then Con and Cha.

And Cha got top billing cause really useful.

I'm fairly certain a Cleric or a Druid outfights a Synthetist with those scores TBH. Hell, a normal Summoner would be significantly superior with the eidolon for action advantage plus the Summoner itself.

Scow2
2013-10-31, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure a Synthesist Summoner's ability scores would be a downgrade from what he has.

I say Druid - Being as MAG as you are, you can be an awesome caster AND beast-battler as well. In fact, better than the average 3.5 druid even, because your boosted stats are better than 3.5's fixed stats.