PDA

View Full Version : How does the Playground handle sustenance?

G.Cube
2013-10-30, 01:58 PM
I know there are a lot of different ways out there to make hunger and thirst a forgotton problem, and I have a hunch on what might be the most popular, but Im curious to know how the playgrounders handle aquiring sustenance.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-30, 02:24 PM
If nothing else just throw a Ring of Sustenance onto one of your normal rings for a measly 3,750 GP.

Elan's can just spend a PP per day (or a feat). Any creature with access to 2nd level Psionic powers can get the power Sustenance and be done with it.

Crystal Master 10can also remove the need to eat, drink, or sleep ever again.

Necropolitan's need never eat again.

Anything that makes you an Outsider eliminates the need. As does True Mind switching with a Shadesteel Golem.

Story
2013-10-30, 02:25 PM
I just ignore it. It's too much working keeping track of and not a real issue part low levels.

Snowbluff
2013-10-30, 02:27 PM
Polymorph any Object anything into something edible.

As does True Mind switching with a Shadesteel Golem.

What problems doesn't this solve? :smalltongue:

Kazyan
2013-10-30, 02:27 PM
I sometimes use mid-OP tools but don't really understand to "play the game". My groups like Everlasting Rations or just buy rations conventionally.

Trasilor
2013-10-30, 02:31 PM
The only time I ever bring it up is when the environment itself is the enemy

stack
2013-10-30, 02:33 PM
Pretty much a non-issue after the earliest levels. A handy haversack, everlasting rations, whatever. Its just not worth worrying about once the weight becomes trivial (level 1 for a high strength PC). The cost is almost never significant, even with starting wealth unless you start your first adventure with no resupply for a long time.

evisiron
2013-10-30, 02:36 PM
Last campaign I ran, literally every player bought a ring of sustenance!

Otherwise I tend to just role play it, make mention of empty stomachs and rumbling tummies when they go a while without food.

If they go extreme lengths, I'll warn them that if they don't eat soon their bodies will start to fail them. Each morning after that have them take a level appropriate fort save, first for fatigue, then when Fatigued, checks become whether they become exhausted.

After that, fort save with every Standard or Full Round action, fail the save and lose that action.

qwertyu63
2013-10-30, 02:39 PM
Personally, buy a set of Everlasting rations (350 gp) and an Everful mug (200 gp) [both from the MiC, page 160]. Total cost 550 gp. Never buy food/water again.

Spore
2013-10-30, 03:07 PM
We subsume this towards the rules for fatigue. An adventurer is a hardy bunch and they only eat once a day.

Psyren
2013-10-30, 03:34 PM
We don't track them. There's really no point. Buy the starting kit for your class (includes rations) and move along.

Druids can ignore the problem as early as level 1.

SinsI
2013-10-30, 03:37 PM
Custom magic item that casts Heroes' Feast 2 times a day solves all your sustenance problems with an added hitpoint/morale bonus.

Diarmuid
2013-10-30, 03:40 PM
Anything that makes you an Outsider eliminates the need. As does True Mind switching with a Shadesteel Golem.

Does this apply to Native Outsiders as well? Is this documented anywhere?

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-30, 03:41 PM
Does this apply to Native Outsiders as well? Is this documented anywhere?

Doesn't apply to Native Outsiders. Last line of the entry.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType

Talya
2013-10-30, 03:55 PM
I know there are a lot of different ways out there to make hunger and thirst a forgotton problem, and I have a hunch on what might be the most popular, but Im curious to know how the playgrounders handle aquiring sustenance.

Generally i keep my refrigerator well stocked by visiting a nearby grocery store. Of prime importance is ensuring there are both caffeinated beverages available for consumption at dawn, and alcohol-based libations available for consumption after finishing my daily employment tasks, but between these times, I like to keep a good supply of various sources of nutritional goodness.

Kennisiou
2013-10-30, 03:58 PM
Surprisingly I've never needed magical gear for this. We've always been able to make survival checks to get the food and water we'd need.

ArqArturo
2013-10-30, 03:59 PM
In the campaign I'm running, my players are trying to stop the Four Horsemen.

Guess which champion are they facing now :smallcool:. Ordinary hunger is not a problem in my games, because at least one of the players has ranks in survival or is a ranger/Druid.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-30, 04:09 PM
I usually throw a pizza in the oven, or a frozen TV dinner in the microwave. Sometimes I make a sandwich. Soft drinks, hard liquor, and Gatorade are a must, as well as some kind of chips for snacking.

Or wait, are we talking about our characters? Just buy trail rations at the beginning of the game. Those things never run out!

ArqArturo
2013-10-31, 03:02 PM
I usually throw a pizza in the oven, or a frozen TV dinner in the microwave. Sometimes I make a sandwich. Soft drinks, hard liquor, and Gatorade are a must, as well as some kind of chips for snacking.

Or wait, are we talking about our characters? Just buy trail rations at the beginning of the game. Those things never run out!

I just bring a six pack of lager and Doritos and feel accomplished XD.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-31, 05:30 PM
I just bring a six pack of lager and Doritos and feel accomplished XD.

Unfortunately, beer and wine don't really do much for me. Although I will enjoy a nice Guinness from time to time.

ArqArturo
2013-10-31, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately, beer and wine don't really do much for me. Although I will enjoy a nice Guinness from time to time.

I've sort of become a beer connoisseur ever since I was in the last stages of college, wine while great, it's still mystery to me. Strangely enough we usually drink booze after the game, mostly because while gaming, we're up our eyeballs in caffeine and cheese puffs (soda for most, coffee for me since I have about three years since I stopped drinking soda), or some heavier fare every once in a while.

I don't really miss the days of soda and ramen, but I do miss the time availability to play D&D. And not pay taxes, but that's another rant :smalltongue:.

herrhauptmann
2013-10-31, 06:09 PM

There are much better dark beers out on the market for not much more in price.
If in the USA, try Southern Tier's Pumking, (don't frost edge of glass in cinnamon+brown sugar, it's terrible and sticky) or Ommegang's Take the Black Stout.

kabreras
2013-10-31, 07:26 PM
If you feed your DM right, your character never have to worry about hunger !

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-31, 09:03 PM
There are much better dark beers out on the market for not much more in price.
If in the USA, try Southern Tier's Pumking, (don't frost edge of glass in cinnamon+brown sugar, it's terrible and sticky) or Ommegang's Take the Black Stout.

I've never heard of either of those. I don't really go to bars or pubs or specialized beer places. I just get what I can find at the grocery store or, sometimes, a liquor store.

CRtwenty
2013-10-31, 09:42 PM
The only time I ever bring it up is when the environment itself is the enemy

This. I usually make a point at the beginning of each campaign to figure out what my party's usual method of getting food is. I then ignore it until they reach a point where that method no longer works. Spending a few SP each day at Inns while traveling the kingdom or hunting wild game with your survival skill is fine until you find yourself stranded in the Desert of Desolation.

herrhauptmann
2013-10-31, 09:49 PM
I've never heard of either of those. I don't really go to bars or pubs or specialized beer places. I just get what I can find at the grocery store or, sometimes, a liquor store.

Both breweries are in New York I believe, so you might have a hard time finding them depending on your location.
Since you can buy beer at a grocery store, I KNOW you're not in Pennsylvania.

Try a 1:1 mix of lindemanns raspberry framboise, and woodchuck amber cider.
Both get wider distributions.

Yukitsu
2013-10-31, 10:43 PM
I'm a foodie, so I just track it all. I'm also a tremendous Tolkien nerd, so being able to describe a stew in great detail is enjoyable to me.

Adverb
2013-10-31, 11:27 PM
Custom magic item that casts Heroes' Feast 2 times a day solves all your sustenance problems with an added hitpoint/morale bonus.

This is a pretty expensive option, but there's nothing custom about it - the Horn of Plenty, in the MiC, does this once a day as a slotless for 12k.

Expensive for food, but for partywide immunity to fear and poison it's a good deal.

Keneth
2013-11-01, 07:35 AM
Waterskin of quenching for water and at least one meal per day. Meal is usually subsumed in the cost of lodging, but if the group heads out of town for an extended period of time, they buy food in advance or use Survival to forage and hunt (it's a DC 10 Wis check without ranks and you can take 10).

Brookshw
2013-11-01, 08:25 AM
Infrequently to never. It's boring and wastes valuable play time.

vitkiraven
2013-11-01, 11:31 AM
Always, and I make sure that the players in the groups I DM know it before start of game. If they want to play a low strength character that can barely carry a staff along with a spell book, then it is up to them to figure out how to stay fed. I also take into account the types of food they eat. Subsisting on trail ration for long periods of time can be bad for your health. 2nd ed. had a rule for that. I also do grittier games though.
I mean, the human body needs a lot of water to survive, and clean water is a premium. Especially at 8 lbs. a gallon, and the cost for powdered water builds up over time.:smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2013-11-01, 11:59 AM
You know what's weird? For all of D&D's bizarre creatures and strange new worlds, there is hardly any description of exotic crops, fruits, or vegetables.

My groups honestly don't care (it's about as annoying as tracking encumbrance), except for when someone guilt-trips the players into having the PCs eat real food and sleep at inns once in a while instead of eating soggy ration-gruel in a tent. Then we usually give a brief description of the food before using it as a chance to develop in-character plans.

In terms of resources, we might stop in town and say "I spend 2 gold on rations". Even when we forget OOC, we figure that's something the characters would have done (since we aren't as acutely aware of our PCs' grumbling tummies as they are) and retcon it.

Red Fel
2013-11-01, 12:09 PM
Easy method? Travel cloak. Get rations 3/day, cool water or hot tea, and a tent every night. Plus it grants endure elements. Plus it's waterproof. Plus, and I can't emphasize this enough, long cloaks make adventurers look up to 70% more awesome.

ArqArturo
2013-11-01, 12:10 PM
You know what's weird? For all of D&D's bizarre creatures and strange new worlds, there is hardly any description of exotic crops, fruits, or vegetables.

I think in Eberron there are several descriptions of food from the Five Nations, including Goodberry Wine (It Nurtures AND Intoxicates at the same time :smallbiggrin:).

I usually try to incorporate that in my game, but my players kind of roll their eyes when I do... Maybe because I also like to describe the architecture :smallfrown:.

vitkiraven
2013-11-01, 12:19 PM
Easy method? Travel cloak. Get rations 3/day, cool water or hot tea, and a tent every night. Plus it grants endure elements. Plus it's waterproof. Plus, and I can't emphasize this enough, long cloaks make adventurers look up to 70% more awesome.

Can't tell you how many times this item has been a priority for my characters to either acquire in game, or buy before game starts.

vitkiraven
2013-11-01, 12:22 PM

Aurora's whole realms guide, second edition had some things, as did Goods and Gear from Kenzer. I think that Elminster's Ecologies and the Volo's guides from second edition had similar exotic stuff peppered into them too.

Red Fel
2013-11-01, 12:22 PM
Can't tell you how many times this item has been a priority for my characters to either acquire in game, or buy before game starts.

There's a reason it's part of the Type II of Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8235865), and stays around until Type IV.

Talya
2013-11-01, 12:32 PM
If you're playing in an evil campaign, ensure at least one party member plays a gnome.

Red Fel
2013-11-01, 12:40 PM
If you're playing in an evil campaign, ensure at least one party member plays a gnome.

We call our gnome Menchi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Excel_Saga_characters#Menchi).

ArqArturo
2013-11-01, 01:40 PM

There was a time when I started playing D&D that horses were emergency rations.

lytokk
2013-11-01, 02:16 PM
I usually just make sure someone in the party makes a survival check every day to find food to eat, when out in the wilds that is. In town, I figure how many days they've been in town or how long they're going to be, and tell them to subtract 5sp a day for basic food and lodging. Most of the time, my adventurers are travellers so I haven't had to worry about any of them buying property yet.

In the case of a particularly high survival roll, I say they've got enough leftover deer or whatever is appropriate to dry for jerky, and then have another survival role, and then give them X amounts of trail rations depending on the check. Yes I realize it takes more than meat to sustain a person, but the high survival check pretty well ensures they were able to find enough of other things to make meal replacement nourishment.

Terazul
2013-11-01, 02:59 PM
No game I've ever been in really payed attention to it too much, unless it was explicitly a "survival" style game. Otherwise, we're too busy building flying castles and whatnot to really consider that our characters wouldn't somehow feed themselves.

I do still have a tendency to pick up or tack on a Traveler's Cloak onto most characters; 1200 gp for a constant endure elements, never get wet from rain, trail rations 3/day, and two gallons of hot tea or cold water/day. Also turns into a one-person tent. It basically covers everything.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 03:01 PM
Tracking food is a lot like tracking weight for me, it's book keeping that detract from the fun of the game.

I handle both the same way, it only comes up as a plot point.