PDA

View Full Version : Strong 5th level Sorcerer Spells

Vash9177
2013-10-30, 02:41 PM
I'm currently playing in a gestalt campaign set in the 9 Layers of Hell, so devils running around everywhere. The character I'm playing is a
Human with a modified Blue Dragonspawn Template
Dragonfire Adept 10 // Sorcerer 6 / Stormcaster 5 who specializes in battlefield control.

So given that we fight mostly devils, that have spell resistance and greater teleport at will, what spells would you recommend?

fishyfishyfishy
2013-10-30, 02:50 PM
To address two things you mentioned: anticipate teleportation and assay spell resistance will help a great deal. Other spells that will come in handy are staples like mage armor, shield, mirror image, invisibility, polymorph and fly. And that's just a few core spells that are good. There are lots of guides out there for spell selection. Most of then were written with wizards in mind, but their advice can still be useful.

Captnq
2013-10-30, 02:53 PM
Do you have the option to custom research? Because I'd make a higher level hail of stone. No save, No SR. Sculpt that puppy and you got auto 5d4 damage AoE. Custom it into a 5th level spell to focus on one critter and or up the damage.

You could look at my sig, check out the spell handbook, and just search for

"Saving Throw: None^pSpell Resistance: No"

That should turn up useful stuff.

Ice Darts can do up to 2d4 x 5 damage, no save no SR, but it';s multiple to hit rolls. Better off just stick with the Conjuration Orb-of-series.

Otherwise stick with buff/de-buff/chessboard spells.

Raezeman
2013-10-30, 03:06 PM
arcane fusion, combine it with true casting and a electricity spell, since with thunderbolt class ability, you can stun those things (they are not immune to stunning, right?) and otherwise, if you have an orb of [energy type] spell, those don't care about spell resistance if I recall correctly, so you can use arcane fusion to combine true strike with an orb, preferentially orb of electricity due to the thunderbolt ability again.
This of course is only possible if you have all these spells already.

Vash9177
2013-10-30, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :smallsmile:

I guess it would've helped some to post my current spell list. I don't have it in front of me atm but here are the ones I do remember.

1st
Mage Armor, Hoard Gullet, Silent Image
2nd
Heart of Air, Gust of Wind, Wings of cover, Entiche Gift
3rd
Lightning Bolt, Heart of Water, Blinding Breath
4th
Orb of Fire, Wings of Flurry
5th
Arc Lightning

A few quick notes:
We are actually using the pathfinder version of the Sorcerer and I have the Air Elemental Bloodline, so I can change energy spells to be electricity.
Also we are using the Draconomicon instead of the Spell Compendium for metabreath spells
The template I was allowed to use gave me +4 con, +4 cha, +7 natural armor, a fly speed of 2X land speed and a 4d8 lightning breath weapon with a cool down of 2d4 rounds

@fishyfishyfishy I think anticipate teleportation greater will be my first 6th level spell. As for assay spell resistance I will probably take it next level, does seem like it would help a lot. Polymorph is really good but I am avoiding it for being to good.

@Captnq Custom research would be helpful but DM isn't super fond of it. Also I think for now I have enough damage dealing spells

@Raezeman arcane fusion seems really good with true casting. I'll have to retrain a level one spell for it.

Raezeman
2013-10-30, 04:26 PM
Also, the thunderhead spell might be an idea (spell compendium i think). It could be up for interpretation, but it can force a reflex + fortitude save every round or be stunned. If you have heighten spell, this could prove useful. (I'm playing a raptoran sorcerer that will go stormcaster in 2 levels, so i have thought about the thunderbolt ability's options)

Vash9177
2013-10-30, 04:50 PM
Thats seems pretty good, I'll run it by my DM and see what he thinks.