PDA

View Full Version : Build advice sought

Ringadon
2013-10-30, 05:51 PM
Hello all,
I've been a long time lurker on these forums but have finally run into a question that I can't answer enough from my searches.

I'm working on a backup character build for a Gestalt campaign and have run into just a slight bit of a wall.

I'm working up a Human Woodling Druid/?? who will be going into Master of Many Forms (I know that plain old fashioned druid is better but this is a flavour inspired choice that is pretty much non-negotiable)

Build will be starting at 3 and proceeding into space with the entirety of the LVA paid off via houserule.

The main thing I need advice on is picking the second class. My current character is a Factotum/ranger who's filling the rogue slot for the party so trapfinding or some way of faking it would be good, also rounding out my saves to all strong would be a plus.

Other things I'm looking for would be good feats to invest in. (We get one every other level (a la pathfinder) with an additional one with ability bumps that must be thematically linked to the bump)

Available sources are pretty much anything officially published by Wizards or Paizo (yes we're allowing pathfinder materials here) pending GM approval of final build.

I greatly appreciate the help and am looking forward to wasting even more of my time here now that I've finally bit the bullet and registered :smalltongue:.

Ring

georgie_leech
2013-10-30, 05:58 PM
From what you've said you want, why not Rogue? A bunch of extra skill points, fills the hole in Druid base Saves, and you can add Sneak Attack to all those Natural Weapon attacks a Druid/MoMF has access to.

EDIT: You could even use this variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue) if you're attached to the outdoors-y fluff, even if those skills are already covered by Druid.

visigani
2013-10-30, 06:05 PM
I advocate Samurai... just because come on, why not, go crazy.

Something more practical would probably be barbarian since you would retain your extraordinary abilities (read: rage) while wildshaped (I think...) and that'd be kind of neat.

If you're looking for something more "castery" go with Warlock or Binder.

Also, I think you spelled advise wrong.

Urpriest
2013-10-30, 06:09 PM
Master of Many Forms is fine in Gestalt, you just put it on the opposite side from Druid.

Swordsage pairs well in gestalt with Druid, especially for a wild-shape focused character, and it helps you fill the skillmonkey role.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-30, 06:19 PM
Replace Druid with Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) to qualify for Master of Many Forms. You get more BAB, more skill points, fast movement in all forms, and you don't lose any wild shaping power. Wildshape Ranger 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Warshaper 4/ Nature's Warrior 1/ MoMF 3 is fairly standard. For feats I'd get Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape, Multiattack, Robilar's Gambit, and Defensive Sweep. Wear a Monk's Belt with a Wilding Clasp attached to add your Wis bonus to AC. Wild armor still melds with your form when you wild shape and you're no longer considered to be wearing armor, even though you still benefit from its AC bonus, so that Monk AC bonus will still apply. Prepare Rhino's Rush in all your spell slots and get some 1st level Pearls of Power to cast it more often.

Edit: I didn't even see that it's gestalt, put Swordsage 20 with that and you'll be awesome. Forget about the Monk's Belt, use Unarmed Swordsage for Monk unarmed strike damage. Another option would be Druid 20// Unarmed Swordsage 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Warshaper 4/ Swordsage 1/ MoMF 3.

Kennisiou
2013-10-30, 06:20 PM
You know, if you aren't going full levels in Druid it's probably better to go wildshape variant ranger into Master of many forms. A broader class skill list and more skill points helps, as does full base attack bonus. That said, you're gestalt, so if you can get skill points/class skills from your other half it's not as big a deal.

For other classes... If you go druid/rogue or druid/scout you'll get trapfinding and have a pretty solid skill list and amount of skill points as well as full saves for all saves. If you go WS Ranger/rogue or scout you get full BaB, a large skill list, and you can take a feat to combine ranger and scout levels so that you can keep progressing in skirmish and/or favored enemies as you prestige, all you lack is a strong will save.

You could also always go factotum again, since factotum is pretty boss as a gestalt class (every class in the game loves getting those extra standard actions).

Ringadon
2013-10-30, 06:41 PM
I'm liking the sound of Wild Shape Ranger but the srd is a little lacking in text explaining it. Any book references?

Kennisiou
2013-10-30, 06:56 PM
It's from unearthed arcana. You just take away ranger's combat style and replace it with wildshapes progression as a druid (only in terms of shapes/day, not forms accessible), and give them barbarian's fast movement at level 1. If you go with this build, understand that generally unshaped and early levels you're pretty weak, so kiting for days with fast movement and a bow is often not a bad strategy; although, this all depends on how your stats go and what your other class is. If you go scout/rogue and don't pick much dex/str under the assumption that wildshapes will cover it you'll have a bit of a rough time early on. If you pick more dex/str early you'll probably find you're less useful later levels. Swordsage, warblade, and factotum will all give you a lot more action early on and can give you reasons not to pick heavily in str or dex. Really, your build all depends on what you want to do. There's lots of ways to gestalt to cover up the WS ranger's weaknesses or to just give them even more late game strengths so the early level weaknesses are paid off even more.

Feint's End
2013-10-30, 07:05 PM
Second Swordsage .... you can even take the unarmed variant (because you won't be wearing armor anyways) and take Beast Strike as a feat to add your natural weapon damage to unarmed strikes damage. Would be some nice dps you had there ... also you can call yourself Kung Fu *insert animal of your choice*