PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Wisdom tooth removal

Pigkappa
2013-10-30, 08:15 PM
Yes, i do realize how weird this subject is for this forum, but I'm going to try anyway.

I moved to the UK just 3 weeks ago and I started having an annoying toothace. I happily found out that in this country it doesn't take months to go to a dentist, so I booked a visit yesterday and went there today, with my still lame language skills (I speak poorly but I usually hear correctly, so I do think I understood all the dentist said).

The dentist looked at my mouth and soon said I had a terribly infected upper wisdom tooth and it had to be removed immediately. He said I was lucky it was one of the upper ones, as they are easy to extract: 5 minutes the extraction, 15-30 minutes of chewing a cotton thing, and that's it. Since it was so easy and if I did it immediately I would have had a huge discount doing it as an emergency procedure, I did it.

After 1 full hour from the operation I was still bleeding. I went back and he was quite worried and gave me some hemostatic stuff. He then checked that it was a little better but he had to close the office. He told me that if it didn't stop bleeding, even a little bit, 1 hour after that, I should have gone to the nearby hospital.

2 hours later, I was still bleeding. Not much, but a little bit definitely yes. i went to the nearby hospital to be told that it was closed after 8 pm and I had to call an ambulance or go to the other one (which is 3 miles away, in a nearby town).

Calling an ambulance for a little bleeding in my mouth seemed stupid and going to another town at night in a country where I can't even speak well wasn't something I really wanted to do. I went back home and talked to my Italian parents and started looking online.

There seems to be a quite general consensus that extracting wisdom teeth is always complicated, and many people bleed for a few days afterwards. I didn't find anyone saying that the upper ones cause less bleeding than the lower ones - they're just easier to extract but the complications are more or less the same.

What's your experience and knowledge about this?

TL;DR is it normal to go on bleeding for many hours or also a day after an upper wisdom tooth extraction?

Tebryn
2013-10-31, 03:54 AM
We're not allowed to give medical advice on the forums. Check with a doctor when you're able.

Pigkappa
2013-10-31, 04:23 AM
How is "your experience" medical advice?

RCgothic
2013-10-31, 04:36 AM
Because relaying positive experience might provide false reassurance to someone who actually needs to be in an emergency room, and relaying negative experience might incite hysteria over a minor condition.

Basically, it's just better to seek a professional medical opinion.

Tebryn
2013-10-31, 07:34 AM
How is "your experience" medical advice?

The above, also it's better to err on the safe side not just on medical issues but forum rules as well. The best advice anyone can give you anyway is to go to a doctor. Most here aren't doctors, any advice we could give you isn't -actually- going to help you. Go to a trained professional who can look at you in person.

noparlpf
2013-10-31, 09:53 AM
Yes, i do realize how weird this subject is for this forum, but I'm going to try anyway.

I moved to the UK just 3 weeks ago and I started having an annoying toothace. I happily found out that in this country it doesn't take months to go to a dentist, so I booked a visit yesterday and went there today, with my still lame language skills (I speak poorly but I usually hear correctly, so I do think I understood all the dentist said).

The dentist looked at my mouth and soon said I had a terribly infected upper wisdom tooth and it had to be removed immediately. He said I was lucky it was one of the upper ones, as they are easy to extract: 5 minutes the extraction, 15-30 minutes of chewing a cotton thing, and that's it. Since it was so easy and if I did it immediately I would have had a huge discount doing it as an emergency procedure, I did it.

After 1 full hour from the operation I was still bleeding. I went back and he was quite worried and gave me some hemostatic stuff. He then checked that it was a little better but he had to close the office. He told me that if it didn't stop bleeding, even a little bit, 1 hour after that, I should have gone to the nearby hospital.

2 hours later, I was still bleeding. Not much, but a little bit definitely yes. i went to the nearby hospital to be told that it was closed after 8 pm and I had to call an ambulance or go to the other one (which is 3 miles away, in a nearby town).

Calling an ambulance for a little bleeding in my mouth seemed stupid and going to another town at night in a country where I can't even speak well wasn't something I really wanted to do. I went back home and talked to my Italian parents and started looking online.

There seems to be a quite general consensus that extracting wisdom teeth is always complicated, and many people bleed for a few days afterwards. I didn't find anyone saying that the upper ones cause less bleeding than the lower ones - they're just easier to extract but the complications are more or less the same.

What's your experience and knowledge about this?

TL;DR is it normal to go on bleeding for many hours or also a day after an upper wisdom tooth extraction?

I can't give medical advice besides "listen to your doctor", but I think I can share my experience with wisdom tooth removal, right?
I had all four out a year or two back as they were beginning to erupt. It's a pretty standard procedure. The anaesthesia didn't entirely knock me out, and when they took it off I was up and walking on my own right away. My gums took until late that evening to clot and stop bleeding completely because I was talking the whole time and you're supposed to just bite down on the gauze until it clots.
But you should still probably see a real doctor if you bleed for more than a few hours without it stopping. That's generally a bad thing. Unless you're menstruating.

scurv
2013-11-01, 02:38 AM
Mine bleed for about two weeks.

noparlpf
2013-11-01, 05:02 AM
Mine bleed for about two weeks.

That might be the scurvy. :smalltongue:

Pigkappa
2013-11-01, 09:57 AM
I'm under the impression that many people in the anglophone world have all the wisdom teeth extracted at the same time, or at least they are told to consider doing it. Is it correct?

Deathkeeper
2013-11-01, 10:00 AM
When I had mine removed (three were impacted) they bled for a while, although the amount of bleeding went down sharply after a day. However, I ended up swallowing so much of my own blood I threw up at one point.

Elemental
2013-11-02, 12:40 AM
I'm under the impression that many people in the anglophone world have all the wisdom teeth extracted at the same time, or at least they are told to consider doing it. Is it correct?

In my experience, they're only removed if there's a reason to do so. I for one still have my wisdom teeth, and they show no sign of causing me issues, so they'll stay there.

Ifni
2013-11-02, 12:43 AM
Where I grew up (yes, anglophone) it was a pretty standard procedure to have done in your late teens / early 20s, as a preventative measure - it's fairly common for them to cause problems. I don't think I bled very much when I had mine out, although I was living on smoothies and painkillers for a few days. I think almost all my friends had theirs removed.

thubby
2013-11-02, 01:01 AM
let me get this straight.
you got instructions from a trained, licensed, medical professional, and you're asking random people on the internet if you should follow it?

go to the freaking hospital!

on tangent topic. it's fairly rare for any surgery to be done preemptively, but in general if they're going to extract 1 wisdom tooth, they pull them all.