PDA

View Full Version : Incarnum meets Undead question

OldTrees1
2013-10-30, 10:42 PM
A Rogue 5 meets the 1 essentia prerequisite of Umbral Disciple via Midnight Dodge. This Rogue then becomes a Ghost.

The Midnight Dodge feat has a 13Con Prerequisite. What happens when the Rogue becomes undead?

Coidzor
2013-10-30, 10:43 PM
The player hopes that the DM is willing to play ball.

Otherwise they lose (use of) the feat, and if it's a prerequisite for the PrC, unless they restrict the rule to just Complete Warrior PrCs, lose the benefits of the PrC except for the BAB, Saves, Skill points, and HD, IIRC.

OldTrees1
2013-10-30, 10:48 PM
The player hopes that the DM is willing to play ball.

Otherwise they lose (use of) the feat, and if it's a prerequisite for the PrC, unless they restrict the rule to just Complete Warrior PrCs, lose the benefits of the PrC except for the BAB, Saves, Skill points, and HD, IIRC.

The prestige class provides essentia to cover its prereq.

What happens when you lose (use of) the feat?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-30, 10:50 PM
I was going to suggest the Undead Meldshaper feat, until I realised thatit only applied to amount shaped (and save DCs), not for the purposes of fulfilling feat prerequisites.

Coidzor
2013-10-30, 10:52 PM

If the feat isn't required for the class then you should be OK then, IIRC.

You can't use it, you lose any passive benefits it conferred, you can't use it to qualify for things like Prestige Classes or other Feats, and any feats that use it as a prerequisite that you had are also similarly no longer accessible to your character.

Retrain, Dark Chaos Shuffle, or Psychic Reformation away ASAP.

I was going to suggest the Undead Meldshaper feat, until I realised thatit only applied to amount shaped (and save DCs), not for the purposes of fulfilling feat prerequisites.

Seems like a good thing to houserule it to do though. Letting one bypass the Constittuion requirement on incarnum-related feats and the like.

SiuiS
2013-10-30, 10:54 PM

Exactly that. You basically lose the feat slot, any benefits of the feat, and anything and everything that requires that feat as a prereq to function. You'll probably want to retrain it at the nearest opportunity.

Alternately, you retrain something else for the undead meld shaper feat.
E: huh, that's weird. It doesn't, does it?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-30, 10:55 PM
Seems like a good thing to houserule it to do though. Letting one bypass the Constittuion requirement on incarnum-related feats and the like.

That, or more likely just require a Wisdom score equivalent to the necessary Constitution score (Wisdom 13, in this case). TBH, that's actually what I thought that it said, for some reason.:smallredface:

OldTrees1
2013-10-30, 11:02 PM
I do have another prestige class that requires dodge. I guess I should just pick up the vanilla Dodge feat in preparation for becoming a Ghost (thus inactivating the Midnight Dodge feat).

I have feat slots to spare so it is not a big deal.

Thank you to all of you.

Chronos
2013-10-31, 07:44 AM
The rules are clear that you lose use of feats when you lose their prerequisites. They're less clear for what happens with prestige classes. Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane both have (slightly different) rules for what happens in that case, but the DMG (the primary source for rules governing PrCs in general) doesn't. And there are some prestige classes that just plain don't work at all if you try to apply a rule like that to them. The usual interpretation is that the rules in CW and CAr apply, respectively, to the prestige classes in those two books, but not to prestige classes in any other books, but ask your DM to be sure.