PDA

View Full Version : Jumper

Goblin Music
2007-01-06, 02:48 PM
The Jumper
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special |Jump Distance

1st|
+0
|
+0
|
+2
|
+0
|
Jump
|
5 ft.

2nd|
+1
|
+0
|
+3
|
+0
| |
10 ft.

3rd|
+2
|
+1
|
+3
|
+1
| |
15 ft.

4th|
+3
|
+1
|
+4
|
+1
| |
20 ft.

5th|
+4
|
+2
|
+4
|
+2
|
Blade Whirl
|
25 ft.

6th|
+5
|
+2
|
+5
|
+2
| |
30 ft.

7th|
+6/+1
|
+3
|
+5
|
+3
| |
35 ft.

8th|
+6/+1
|
+3
|
+6
|
+3
||
40 ft.

9th|
+7/+2
|
+4
|
+6
|
+4
||
45 ft.

10th|
+7/+2
|
+4
|
+7
|
+4
|
Evasion
|
50 ft.

11th|
+8/+3
|
+5
|
+7
|
+5
||
55 ft.

12th|
+8/+3
|
+5
|
+8
|
+5
||
60 ft.

13th|
+9/+4
|
+6
|
+8
|
+6
||
65 ft.

14th|
+9/+4
|
+6
|
+9
|
+6
||
70 ft.

15th|
+10/+5
|
+7
|
+9
|
+7
|
Stealthy Jump
|
75 ft.

16th|
+10/+5
|
+7
|
+10
|
+7
||
80 ft.

17th|
+11/+6/+1
|
+8
|
+10
|
+8
||
85 ft.

18th|
+11/+6/+1
|
+8
|
+11
|
+8
||
90 ft.

19th|
+12/+7/+2
|
+9
|
+11
|
+9
||
95 ft.

20th|
+13/+8/+3
|
+9
|
+12
|
+9
|
Plane Jump
|
100 ft.
[/table]

The Jumper's skills are Craft, Disguise, Escape artist, Hide, Listen, Move silently, Search, Sleight of hand, and Spot.
Armor/ weapon proficiencies The Jumper is not proficient with any armor. The Jumper is proficient with all simple weapons plus the rapier, longsword, whip, and all bows.
H.D. D6

Con. improves the Jumper's Hp and Dex. makes him harder to hit.

Jump: at 1st level The Jumper can teleport 5 feet at will. this distance increases 5 feet every level thereafter (10' at 2nd, 15' at 3rd...).
Blade Whirl: during a jump the Jumper can attack once.
Evasion: this works like the rouge's class ability.
Stealthy Jump: when the Jumper Jumps he can use his hide skill to vanish with out being noticed.
Plane Jump: Using 10 ' of the Jumper's Jump class ability, he can jump between planes.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-06, 03:19 PM
Er, you might need to flesh out the class abilities a bit. What do you mean by attacking during a jump? Does that work sort of like fly-by attack? Can jumps be aimed in any directions? Must you see where you're jumping? Also, what kind of action is a jump? I think a standard action might work, but at will is a bit much.

Also, Stealthy jump needs some serious clearing up. Since a Jump is a teleport, why would you be noticed? What do you mean by vanish without being seen?

Also, the BAB needs to be changed. There's only two progressions that I am aware of, the 3/4 level progression (Given to monks, clerics, rogues, casters and other classes that aren't primarily front-line fighters) and the full progression (given to fighters, paladins, rangers and other such combat-oriented classes). The Jumper as you've built it here is severely underpowered, since it has low hit dice, no armor proficiency, little ability to do damage, limited skills and class abilities that all add up to "Being able to get somewhere, fast." Combining a jump with some aerial maneuvers, such as teleporting forty feet into the air and then skewering someone from above would be pretty cool, but needs to be ruled up and statted out.

This, as a base class, would never survive to fifth level. The only thing the class gets until fifth is a few extra feet on its speed. The problem that seems to be behind all this is noticeable absence of any fluff on the Jumper. What's the inspiration? How are they trained? Get that down and we can start adding class abilities and balancing it a bit.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-06, 03:38 PM
It might work better as a PrC in that case, but I think it could be cleaned up to be an interesting base class.

There are some things I'd still like to know, such as does jumping provoke an attack of opportunity? Can he prevent that with a successful stealthy jump?

Goblin Music
2007-01-06, 03:51 PM
at will is a bit much.
it is powered down for a reason
fly by attack yes
attack of opportunity yes (to both)
aim a jump yes but just general knoleage of where (say behind a door)
some one will notice you popping off some where
fast B.a.b. rise will keep him alive to 5th

Iituem
2007-01-06, 04:55 PM
The BAB is a touch confusing. Standard BABs run at BAB = 1/2 level (as wizards), BAB = 3/4 level (as clerics) and BAB = level (as fighters) depending on the combat readiness of the character. By the looks of it, you've given it fighter progression from 2nd-6th level, then used wizard progression from there on. The BAB of the jumper at 20th level is thus slightly more powerful than a 20th level commoner, but not really up to the BAB of rogues or clerics. I would suggest using the rogue/cleric progression of BAB for this class. It also needs a fair bit of heavy fleshing out, as right now it has the same power and versatility as a commoner with 3 levels in fighter.

In addition, the 20th level ability of plane jump seems a touch overpowered. Even though it appears to be a self-only effect, there does not seem to be any limitation on its use. Given the level of plane shift as a spell (level 7 for wizards, requiring a level 13 caster), you might get away with 3/day. On the other hand, if there is no chance of error in your jump between planes (you always reach the intended plane and at exactly the right place) it is more akin to the gate spell and 1/day would be more appropriate.

How often in a day can a character jump? If the jump ability can be used at will without any maximum distance that can be jumped in a day, then by 9th level the jumper can effectively travel faster than a horse, jumping 65ft at a time each round (45ft jump, 20ft walk) until he feels like going to sleep. Such men would probably make a fortune as messengers. I would suggest looking at the shadowdancer stats to help balancing this, which can be found at http://www.d20srd.com .

Goblin Music
2007-01-06, 05:58 PM
the 5+ feet is a daily total

jlousivy
2007-01-06, 09:15 PM
Jumper
Hit Die : D8
BaB: 3/4
skills: ???
saves: good fort, good reflex, poor will
proficient with light armours, no shields and all simple and martial weapons
lvl1 : JUMP!- as a full round action, the Jumper may move up to his movement speed as a jump, this effect may be treated as a short range teleport that provokes attacks of opportunity.
lvl 5 Improved JUMP!- as a standard action the jumper may do JUMP! and complete an attack.
lvl 8 Powerful JUMP!- when using JUMP! the jumper may apply 2x his strength modifier on the jump,(in the case of a 2 handed weapon 3x)
lvl 10 Safe JUMP!- JUMP! no longer provokes attacks of opportunity
lvl 12 evasion - as the rogue ability
lvl 15 hidden JUMP!- as a standard action the jumper may jump into an extradimentional space for 1d4+1 rounds, the jumper may choose to get out of this as a standard action or simply wait for the effect to disapate. 1+wis mod / day.
lvl 20 Plane JUMP!- 3/day the Jumper may jump to another plane as the spell plane shift

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-06, 10:25 PM
...That's even less helpful. Goblin, I highly suggest that you add the answers to these things we're asking in the original post; since that is after all the whole point of putting something up here on the forums: to show others so we can help you improve the idea. I'll send you the code for what you have so far in a PM.

Peregrine
2007-01-07, 12:38 PM
Your table broke; you have a line break in "Base Attack Bonus". Get rid of that and all will be well again. :smallsmile:

It's an interesting idea, but needs to be fleshed out more to work as a base class. What does a jumper do with this ability? As it stands, it's barely even enough material for a 5-level prestige class. You jump... you jump some more... this is more like a class feature or spell than a whole class.

(And Seraph, as Iituem mentions, there's also a 1/2 level BAB progression, as per sor/wiz.)

Goblin Music
2007-01-07, 09:22 PM
it is fixed thanks to Eighth_Seraph!!!

class ability.

jlousivy
2007-01-07, 11:53 PM
I'd recommend adding light armour to the proficiencys, and making the BaB full or 3/4.
the save progression seems wierd, i'd give it the standard poor/good/poor
you could give him D8 HD and be fine
skills / level?
also.... it would make alot of sense to give him Jump as a class ability, and probably swim or tumble.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-08, 01:40 AM
I agree with all the points made above. Both Jump and Tumble are obvious choices for skills, but Swim depends on the flavor you want to give this class. On that subject, there really is no flavor for this class at all so far. All that's shown is the basic class block, but nothing to demonstrate what kind of people would be in this class, how they achieve these skills, whether they're specialized mages, specially gifted individuals or anything. If you want some examples, I know the 3rd edition Player's Handbook give thorough descriptions of each class, and I must assume that other editions do as well. The SRD, unfortunately, does not have the flavor included for each class, so you're going to have to go blindly like me if you're book-less. If you want to see an example of what flavor can be like for a core class, you might want to take a look at the ' Chaotic monks' thread, and look at my post with the class block. Not meaning to be conceited; but it's really late here on the east coast and it's the first thing that came to mind.