PDA

View Full Version : The (Samaran) Doctor Question.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-10-31, 11:54 AM
Hello Ladies and Gents of the Playground,

I am interested in playing a character in an upcoming Pathfinder game based loosely on Doctor Who. I figured the Samsaran would fit the kind of feel I wanted to use, the reincarnation aspect is a neat bit of fluff to play with.

But what class to play as? I am not very familiar with Pathfinder's classes. I also have no idea how to optimize, normally I just play as I want RP wise and ignore mechanics but lately this has been causing me to always fall behind.

So in short for those who do not want to read the above
1. I am playing a Samsaran character, but what class would suit the Doctor?
2. How best to optimize that class to fit a bit of moderate optimization, I don't need to make it the most powerful being in the world, just effective and fun.
3. What advice would you recommend for the playing of this character to fit his class a bit better.

Benthesquid
2013-10-31, 11:59 AM
I'd say, broadly, and without much optimization, you'd want a high intelligence bard.

The Doctor:
Has amazing knowledge bonuses.
Generally relies on talking his way into and out of a lot of problems.
Run!

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-31, 12:00 PM
If you can get permission to use 3.5 content, the Factotum is pretty good for the Doctor. Or an Artificer, perhaps. I don't know if either of those have been officially ported...

For Pathfinder stuff... Bard with the Archaeologist archetype? Or a Mindchemist Alchemist?

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-10-31, 12:03 PM
The bard would be nice, but if I want to keep playing you know without the table fleeing in terror I best not be singing.

Factotum is a clever sort and I wouldn't mind that one either. I will have to see if it would be allowed.
The Archaeolgist you say? I will have to give it a look.

Anyone else?

edit:
I found this class on the 3rd party class pages
Warlord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/tos---warlord) from Adamant Entertainment. Seems like a bit of fun there for inspiring the group and the Doctor does do that making people perform better and try harder just for being there. The Temporary HP ability is also useful without the doctor style.

So question is are there feats or traits I can take to get Bardic Knowledge or something very close?

nolongerchaos
2013-10-31, 01:02 PM
The Oracle has a reincarnated racial archetype that fluffwise should work okay, but I like pure Time mystery a little better mechanically.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-10-31, 02:05 PM
I like the Oracle and it would work for another idea I am having but not for the Doctor, the divine spells are not the type I was looking for, as well as the curse doesn't fit my feel.
But thank you.

I am seriously considering the Alchemist (Mindchemist) and the Bard (Archaeologist)

But I found the following as 3rd Party classes that might fit. Can I get input on these from my pals on the Playground?

Warlord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/tos---warlord)
Scholar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/tripod-machine/scholar')

Psyren
2013-10-31, 02:14 PM
Factotum, Bard, Rogue, Expert or Savant - basically anyone that can be clever, talky, and rely more on knowledge + tools than innate powers - would represent him well.

And now you've given me a nice idea about making Samsarans into fantasy Time Lords :smallbiggrin:

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-10-31, 02:27 PM
The Savant? I don't know that class. The Expert is a Generic right? Or are you talking about the NPC?

Spore
2013-10-31, 02:28 PM
Archaeologist (Bard kit), detective or archivist really.

Psyren
2013-10-31, 02:43 PM
The Savant? I don't know that class. The Expert is a Generic right? Or are you talking about the NPC?

Yes, by Expert I mean the NPC class. The point is that the Doctor's strength comes more from being a know-it-all than having innate powers (well, aside from the regeneration thing, but that's more of a racial ability.)

Savant is from Dragon Compendium, it's basically the Factotum prototype.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-10-31, 04:07 PM
The Expert doesn't have anything to aid in a skill focused character.

Unless I found the wrong Expert online.

Thanks for the help by the way. This should be very interesting a build.
The Factotum seems to be very good since some of what the doctor does is just magical.

I am curious the Artificer might replicate a sonic screwdriver style doctor who focused on performing weird magics like the Sonic does.