PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Homebrew Firearms and Gunpowder

SethoMarkus
2013-10-31, 01:27 PM
Hello all!

First, please let me know if I should put this in the Homebrew section. I wasn't certain since this was designed for 3.5 specifically.

This is an older homebrew I made up with the help of a friend a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of picking back up the mantle of DM for the continuation of a campaign set in a world that my friend made, and I wanted to check and see what the Playground thinks of these rules for firearms, gunpowder (blackpowder), and explosives.

We also designed a homebrew class to go along with these weapons, but assume that all firearms are "Exotic Weapons" for all intents and purposes. Certain classes and races gain proficiency with one or several of these weapons within the homebrew world, however (such as Rangers and Fighters gaining proficiency with flint-trigger pistols).

So, without further ado, the homebrew:

Flashpowder:
While flashpowder burns (1 ounce consumes itself in 1 round and illuminates like a sunrod) or even explodes in the right conditions, it is chiefly used to propel a bullet out of the barrel of a pistol or a rifle, or it is formed into a bomb (see below). An ounce of flashpowder is needed to propel a bullet. 6 ounces of flashpowder is needed to fire a canon. Flashpowder is sold in small kegs (15-pound capacity, 20 pounds total weight, 7.2 gp each) and in water-resistant powder horn (2-pound capacity and total weight, 9.6 sp for a full powder horn). A keg of flashpowder can be reinforced in metal casing adding 2 gp and 5 lbs to the total weight of the keg (15 lb of powder, 25 lb total weight of item). If flashpowder gets wet, it cannot be used to fire a bullet.

Ammunition:
Bullets: These round, lead projectiles are sold in bags of 10 for 1 sp. A bag of bullets weighs 1 pound. Made to be fired from a sling, these bullets impose a -2 attack roll penalty when fired from a firearm.

Slugs: These sleek, metal projectiles were specially designed to be fired from a firearm and end in a rounded cone-shaped tip. These projectiles are sold in bags of 10 for 1 gp. A bag of slugs weighs 1 pound.

Canonballs: These large, round, stone or metal projectiles are designed to be fired from a canon and are sold in cases of 10 balls for 1 gp. A case of canonballs weighs 15 pounds, and an individual ball weighs 1 pound.

Missile: These large, sleek, metal projectiles look much like a larger version of the slug. These heavy projectiles are sold in large wooden cases of 25 for 10 gp. Each projectile weighs 1.5 pounds and a case weighs 45 pounds. Designed to be especially deadly, a missile gains a +2 on attack rolls and an extra 1d4 of damage.

Grapeshot: Grapeshot is a group of 100 small metal pellets tightly bound in a paper package. Grapeshot is sold in individual packages for 5 sp and weigh 1 pound each. Rather than focus on accuracy, grapeshot shoots pellets in a cone shaped spread, dealing 1d6 damage to all creatures and objects within the cone. A character caught in the spread can make a DC 15 reflex save for half damage.

Explosive Shell: These dangerous projectiles resemble a missile, but are made of a softer material and filled with flashpowder. These shells are sold individually for 10 gp and weigh 1 pound each. Upon impact, these shells deal an additional 1d6 force damage and 2d4 shrapnel damage within 5 ft of the impact. Explosive shells are exceptionally effective against walls and other objects, and the bonus damage associated with the shell ignores an object‘s hardness.

Firearms and Artillery:
Flint-trigger Pistol: The flint-trigger pistol is a hand-held gun that can be loaded and fired in a single turn. Pistols require 1 ounce of flashpowder to fire a projectile.

Musket: The musket is a two-handed gun held at the shoulder and fired while taking sight down the long metal barrel. The musket also uses flint-trigger technology and is merely a larger, more accurate though more cumbersome variant of the hand-held pistol. Muskets require 1 ounce of flashpowder to fire a projectile.

Coal Rifle: Utilizing a coal burning pressure chamber, this unique rifle is considered to be the safest of its type. Rather than requiring flashpowder to fire, the coal rifle must be refilled with hot coals every 30 shots. A coal rifle can also be attached to a large furnace with a sturdy cord-like tube, effectively enabling the rifle to fire indefinitely. The coal rifle has the benefit of being the only firearm able to be effectively fired in wet environments, due to its air-tight pressure chamber and lack of flashpowder.

Cast-iron Blaster: This massive gun straps to its wielder at the hip, using its wielder as a brace in order to aim and fire. A blaster requires 6 ounces of flaspowder to fire a projectile.

Cannon: The cannon is a large, stationary weapon designed as a siege weapon. A cannon is used primarily to destroy obstacles and objects on the battlefield, and as such has poor accuracy and high damage to objects such as stone walls or buildings. It takes two rounds to fire a cannon; the first round to aim the weapon, and a second round to fire. If the target moves between these two rounds, the cannon suffers a -6 penalty to its attack roll. Against stationary targets, with each consecutive miss against the same target a cannon gains a +2 bonus to its attack roll against that target for as long as the target remains stationary.

Tables:

Weapon ------------ Cost ---- Dmg1 --- Critical --- Range -------- Weight ----- Type ----- Reload ----- Misfire% - MisDmg2
Flit-trigger Pistol --- 75 gp --- 1d6 ------ x3 -------- 20ft (x5) ------ 3 lb ----- Piercing ----- Free -------- 10% ------ 1d3
Musket ------------- 125 gp -- 1d8 ------ x3 -------- 30ft (x10) ----- 6 lb ----- Piercing ----- Move ------- 10% ------ 1d3
Coal Rifle ---------- 200 gp -- 1d10 ----- x3 ------- 10-40ft (x10) -- 8 lb ----- Piercing ----- Move -------- 5% ------ 1d4
Cast-iron Blaster -- 175gp --- 2d8 ----- 19-20x2 -- 30ft (x10) ----- 25 lb ---- Bludgeon --- Standard ------ 20% ------ 1d6
Cannon ------------ 250gp --- 4d6 ------ x2 -------- 50ft (x10) ---- 100lb ---- Bludgeon ---- Full --------- 20% ------ 2d4
1These weapons are manufactured the same for medium and small creatures and deal the same amount of damage. However, firearms designed for small creatures half the hardness and ¾ the hp of their full sized versions.
2Misfire damage is applied to the weapon first. This damage does not bypass hardness. If the damage from a misfire would destroy the weapon, any remaining damage affects the creature immediately behind the barrel of the weapon, usually the one wielding the weapon.

Flashpowder Items ----- Cost ----- Weight -- Hardness -- HP --- Break DC -- Ignites1 -- Dmg2 ----- Range
Powder Horn, 2 lb ----- 9.6 sp ------ 2 lb -------- 5 ------- 10 -------- 13 ------- 10 ------ 2d6 ----- 5ft burst
Powder Keg, 15 lb ----- 7.2 gp ----- 20 lb ------- 5 ------- 20 -------- 23 ------- 10 ------ 4d6 ----- 10ft burst
Reinforced Keg -------- 9.2 gp ------ 30 lb ------ 10 ------ 30 -------- 28 ------- 15 ------ 2d8 ----- 5ft burst
Bullets (10) ------------ 1 sp -------- 1 lb ------- 5 ------ 5 --------- X -------- X --------- X --------- X
Slugs (10) ------------- 1 gp -------- 1 lb ------- 5 ------ 10 -------- X -------- X --------- X --------- X
Cannonballs (10) ------- 1 gp ------- 15 lb ------ 10 ------- 10 -------- X -------- X --------- X --------- X
Missiles (25) ----------- 10 gp ------ 45 lb ------ 10 ------ 15 --------- X -------- X ------ +1d4 -------- X
Grapeshot ------------- 5 gp ------- 1 lb -------- 5 ------- 10 -------- 13 ------- X ------- 2d6 -------- cone
Explosive Shell -------- 10 gp ------ 1.5 lb ------ 10 ------ 15 -------- 23 ------- 10 ----- +2d6 force,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- +2d4 shrapnel -- 5 ft burst
Bomb --------------------- 2 sp ----- 1/2 lb ------ 5 -------- 5 -------- 13 --------- 5 ------ 2d6 ------- 5ft burst
Smoke Bomb ------------ 4 sp ----- ½ lb -------- 5 -------- 5 -------- 13 -------- 5 ------ 1d43 ------- See Text
Demolition Charge ------- 5 gp ----- 5 lb -------- 5 ------- 10 -------- 13 ------- 10 ------ 4d64 ----- 5ft +5ft per additional
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- charge (max 20ft)
1If any flashpowder item takes fire, acid, or sufficient blunt force damage, after taking into account for Hardness, it will ignite and explode, causing a set amount of damage.
2Damage caused by flashpowder items can be reduced by half with a successful DC 15 Reflex save. A character holding a flashpowder item as it ignites, or who is directly hit by a thrown or fired projectile, gets no save.
3Smoke Bomb damage only applies upon premature ignition caused by fire, acid, or blunt force damage.
4A Demolition Charge ignores 2 points of Hardness per charge.

Explosives:
Bomb: The round flashpowder bomb must be lit before it is thrown. Lighting a bomb is a move action. The explosive deals 2d6 points of fire damage. Anyone caught within the blast radius can make a DC 15 Reflex save to take half damage.

Smoke Bomb: This cylindrical bomb must be lit before it is thrown. Lighting it is a move action. Two rounds after it is lit, this nondamaging explosive emits a cloud of smoke (as a fog cloud spell) in a 20-foot-radius. A moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses the smoke in 4 rounds; a strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round.

Demolition Charge: This bundle of cylindrical explosives can be set next to a wall or other object to be destroyed. This explosive has a fuse that must be lit after it is set. Lighting a demolition charge is a move action, and the charge goes off in one round or up to several rounds later (depending on the length of the fuse). The explosive has a blast radius of 5 feet and deals 4d6 points of bludgeoning damage. Anyone caught within the blast radius can make a DC 15 Reflex save to take half damage.

It's possible to bind together several demolition charges so they ignite and explode at the same time. Each additional charge increases the damage by 2d6 (maximum damage 10d6) and the burst radius by 5 feet (maximum burst radius 20 feet). Demolition charges ignore 2 points of Hardness per charge.

Firechanter
2013-11-01, 10:06 AM
And what are they for?

SethoMarkus
2013-11-01, 10:33 AM
The setting takes place during the onset of a steam-punk inspired industrial revolution. Firearms are a recent technological discovery, and are just beginning to be implemented in armies and militias. The firearms would be available for PCs and NPC specially trained soldiers, rare at the start of the campaign but progressively more common as the campaign progresses.

The information posted above would replace any publishes rules for explosives, gunpowder, and firearms (such as those found in the DMG, etc).

Mostly, I suppose I would just like a basic appraisal of what I've set up and whether there are any glaring issues that I should address. Firearms will most likely be the primary weapon for at least one PC, so I don't want to short-change anyone.

Firechanter
2013-11-01, 01:56 PM
And what are they for? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=t0jgZKV4N_A#t=80)

--

What I'm trying to get at is: so you are introducing weapons that deal the damage of a Simple Weapon, have the fire rate of a Simple Weapon, have a much worse range increment than any missile weapon, are totally unreliable because they mustn't get wet and can explode in your face, but cost an Exotic Proficiency feat. Why would anyone in their right mind invest in this? Your muskets are strictly inferior to even Light Crossbows, let alone Composite Longbows or Greatbows. Taking them doesn't make any sense.

The proficiency class in D&D is more about how difficult it is to effectively use a weapon, not how widespread it is or how complicated the construction. A crossbow is more complicated than a longbow and yet, look at the proficiencies. And that's exactly the reason why muskets historically displaced bows and crossbows: you just point them in the general direction of the enemy and pull the trigger. It doesn't get much simpler than that. Hence, Simple Weapon would be more fitting. The most complicated thing about them is how to load them, but you can learn that within one hour, and that's hardly worth a feat.

Moreover, I'd love to see firearm rules for D&D that don't result in people shooting fifty rounds a minute with a front-loading musket. It's already a strain with bows (though you can find videos on youtube of guys shooting 1 arrow per second or so, but with very short draws), but it's much worse with weapons with which realistically it is physically impossible to fire much more than four rounds a minute.
So, imho, the reload times should start out very long, and go down slightly with more skill but remain rather long, and in turn each single shot should be much more devastating. So even a 16th level musketeer would shoot at best one bullet per round (maybe even just 1 per 2 rounds), but this bullet would do the damage of a stack of arrows. That would make firearms actually, mechanically different and thus create a whole different feel in gameplay.

SethoMarkus
2013-11-01, 02:42 PM
So, imho, the reload times should start out very long, and go down slightly with more skill but remain rather long, and in turn each single shot should be much more devastating. So even a 16th level musketeer would shoot at best one bullet per round (maybe even just 1 per 2 rounds), but this bullet would do the damage of a stack of arrows. That would make firearms actually, mechanically different and thus create a whole different feel in gameplay.

Now this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I want to keep firearms limited and "special", but what I get from your post is to accomplish that purely through cost and material limitations. Simple Weapons, done and over with, but rare.

That would bee an interesting system to increase damage with the weapon with increased proficiency; perhaps something akin to the Fighter's Weapon Specialization tree, but specifically for firearms?

I knew that my homebrew wasn't polished, which is why I wanted to bring it here before putting it into play, but I didn't want to pick up someone else's homebrew unless I needed to (since they generally seem to assume that firearms are fairly accessible to the public).

I'll take some time to look into custom feat trees (and feats that are dyanmic and improve with the character as they level) and come back here with the corrections.

Firechanter
2013-11-01, 03:00 PM
I guess you could just convert iterative attacks to extra damage. just a pointer.

Anxe
2013-11-01, 03:09 PM
I've always felt that firearms in D&D should actually function as something like a death effect. You roll to hit and then go to a certain result based on how well you beat your target's AC. Then you get better and better results based on how much you won by.

0-5 = damage
6-10 = damage and penalties
11-15 = unconscious
16+ = dead

I like the iterative attacks into extra damage idea. Or for how fast it takes to reload. Like a musket takes 6 "attacks" to reload. Or it could work like the crafting rules where you have to roll your attack and get up to a certain amount to have the gun be reloaded.

Feats are definitely a good idea. I'd pull on rogue feats and the Assassin's death attack ability for what they should be like. Feats would basically be about hitting more vital points.

Brookshw
2013-11-01, 03:26 PM
I like it, fairly balanced though how to handle iterative attacks remains to be resolved.

Constructively: I'd up the prices for everything after musket. Lower the damage on the cast iron blaster a bit. Pricing on the slugs seemed a bit high but that's also sort of irrelevant. If you wanted more "real world" give penalties to hit with the musket. Grapeshot could use some work, did you have any range modifiers? For example half range increment and x5 increments max range.

Edit: have you checked the 2e firearms? I believe the aquebus (now I'm sure I misspelled that) did d10 damage.