PDA

View Full Version : Imagine a homebrew only pbp...

gooddragon1
2013-10-31, 03:21 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Callin
2013-10-31, 03:23 PM
It would be very very interesting...

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-31, 03:24 PM
I don't think that it'd be all that crazy, actually.

GitP's got a fairly good community that looks at balance, so as long as the DM made a token effort to watch over for over-powered things, they'll be fine.

That, and you know, there's the class discussions below the class, and there's likely been multiple revisions made on each class after feedback (something that's lacking from the Official classes).

Of course, if we open this up to dandwiki....

Callin
2013-10-31, 03:29 PM
I don't think that it'd be all that crazy, actually.

GitP's got a fairly good community that looks at balance, so as long as the DM made a token effort to watch over for over-powered things, they'll be fine.

That, and you know, there's the class discussions below the class, and there's likely been multiple revisions made on each class after feedback (something that's lacking from the Official classes).

Of course, if we open this up to dandwiki....

LOL.. yea that place is insane

D20ragon
2013-10-31, 03:36 PM
Yeah...used to frequent that place till the lack of balance drove me crazier than a Derro on hallucinogens.:smallbiggrin:

Kazyan
2013-10-31, 03:43 PM
There would be much more RAI due to respecting others' homebrews, but the power creep would be ridiculously intense despite the homebrew forum trying to control itself. When you ask for anything, of course you're not going to ask for Barbarian; you'll ask for Factotum.

gooddragon1
2013-10-31, 03:44 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

dascarletm
2013-10-31, 03:46 PM
Would that include fixes for already published classes as well?

D20ragon
2013-10-31, 03:48 PM
*Sweeps homebrew hexer base class under the rug* (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hexer_%28gd1%29%283.5e_Class%29)

Yeah, what he said!

Actually that class looks pretty cool! Don't know if it's balanced,but cool.

gooddragon1
2013-10-31, 03:55 PM
Would that include fixes for already published classes as well?

Probably not.

Actually that class looks pretty cool! Don't know if it's balanced,but cool.

Ha! My shameless promotion tactics have worked!

But I actually posted it on these forums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311375) to get reviews. I've got other stuff on there too but I can't remember all of it.

ShadowFireLance
2013-10-31, 03:58 PM
SO like no base classes, No PrC's, no Magic, No skills, No feats, and no Items?
Or just no Classes/races?

I'd play.

We have at least 10 finished Subsystems (Ozodrin, Evolutionist, Gramarist, Xenothurgy, Xenoalchemy, and others i'm forgetting)
and some amazing design ideas, This would be the most amazing game.

Anyone want to try it?

It'd have to be higher than level 1, but lower than 15.

How about 10?

dascarletm
2013-10-31, 03:58 PM
I would imagine a game like that would have a very mixed crew, that is, you would have an avatar style bender, a steampunk gunsmith, a tentacle'd cat-thrower monster, and an average joe that gets really lucky. Since everyone would be grabbing every interesting hombrew they've always wanted to see but couldn't try. Might be really cool.

PS: I'd be down if you'd have me and my schedule worked.

ddude987
2013-10-31, 03:59 PM
It seems like it would work fine as long as everything met DM approval. The only thing is being pbp it seems like it would take a while to get characters made, approved, finalized, or leveled up.

D20ragon
2013-10-31, 04:02 PM
I'd play. Grammarie,yay!

gooddragon1
2013-10-31, 04:05 PM

I'd play.

We have at least 10 finished Subsystems (Ozodrin, Evolutionist, Gramarist, Xenothurgy, Xenoalchemy, and others i'm forgetting)

Anyone want to try it?

How about 10?

Probably the second one + no PrCs

But I'm not qualified to be a DM owing to the fact that while I know the system decently I've never really got a good approximation of how things are balanced in 3.5 other than "fear the druid for he is mighty" (perhaps not as mighty as a cheesy wizard though...). Also, I don't exactly do fluff... like at all. I think I have a grand total of 30 hours of DM experience (funny stuff... for an on campus club).

a tentacle'd cat-thrower monster

Why does this mysteriously sound like one of Bhu's homebrew projects?

SamBurke
2013-10-31, 04:09 PM

Anyone want to try it?

How about 10?

And those are just the FAMOUS ones. If you go back to the old days, there's two that Welknair did (Blood King and something I forget), MiloV3's Binder book, and the Spellshape Codexes, plus a few Tome of X's running around. Plus, oh... 30-40 old mega-classes, which include their own pseudo-subsystems. If you count the 3.5/PF class design contests, that's an additional 1-3 per month, minimum. This forum is unbelievably prolific. :smalleek:

I would so be in. SO. SO. Be in. Probably with my own Deepcaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283372), if we could find a DM.

That said, someone should probably flag this and move it to recruitment?

gooddragon1
2013-10-31, 04:12 PM
And those are just the FAMOUS ones. If you go back to the old days, there's two that Welknair did (Blood King and something I forget), MiloV3's Binder book, and the Spellshape Codexes, plus a few Tome of X's running around. Plus, oh... 30-40 old mega-classes, which include their own pseudo-subsystems. If you count the 3.5/PF class design contests, that's an additional 1-3 per month, minimum. This forum is unbelievably prolific. :smalleek:

I would so be in. SO. SO. Be in. Probably with my own Deepcaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283372), if we could find a DM.

That said, someone should probably flag this and move it to recruitment?

What have I done.

Jormengand
2013-10-31, 04:13 PM
What have I done.

Something that's been done before, albeit not PbP - It was a Skype game. Very fun, very fun indeed.

Epsilon Rose
2013-10-31, 04:21 PM
Heh, I'm always trying to get my players to use homebrew stuff, but they almost always stick to official... I also tend to have a bunch of homebrew system overhauls in place, which is something to consider. Replacing skills with Tome of prowess might be fun and, depending on the number of players, I'm always a fan of gestalt (which isn't actually homebrew).

If this was done over Skype, or something else real-time I'd definitely want to apply. I just can't do pbp games because I always lose track of them.

I'd play.

Anyone want to try it?

How about 10?

Don't forget spellshaping. Also, did xenothurgy ever actually get finished? The last time I looked at it, it still had a few things missing and a number of the murmurs(?) were scattered across the entire thread with no links to where they might be found.

Waker
2013-10-31, 04:28 PM
I thought I recall Morph Bark ran a rather homebrew heavy game, but it might have just been for NPCs. A DM running a game like that would be wise to rummage around for Bark's posts on testing various classes. And of course the most handsome and intelligent players would end up playing as the Chorister and Scholar in my signature.

SamBurke
2013-10-31, 04:29 PM
If this was done over Skype, or something else real-time I'd definitely want to apply. I just can't do pbp games because I always lose track of them.
I used to too, but Subscription is awesome. It keeps things pretty tidy for me, and makes PbP much easier.

Don't forget spellshaping. Also, did xenothurgy ever actually get finished? The last time I looked at it, it still had a few things missing and a number of the murmurs(?) were scattered across the entire thread with no links to where they might be found.
I did mention Spellshaping... and I don't know if it's "finished", but I'd say it's playable enough.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-10-31, 04:33 PM
I'd love to play! I'm just about done with my Temporalist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308549) (work is paused for college applications), but it would be interesting to see how other homebrew classes interact with small-scale time manipulation.

Epsilon Rose
2013-10-31, 04:36 PM
I used to too, but Subscription is awesome. It keeps things pretty tidy for me, and makes PbP much easier.
No, I meant that I lose track of them in real life. I'll get caught up on how to word something or I won't be able to get to it for a few days and I just sort of fall out of things. I have the same problem on myth weavers.

I did mention Spellshaping... and I don't know if it's "finished", but I'd say it's playable enough.

Not in the block of text I quoted, which is what counts. :smallbiggrin:

I must have missed that, sorry.

SamBurke
2013-10-31, 05:53 PM
No, I meant that I lose track of them in real life. I'll get caught up on how to word something or I won't be able to get to it for a few days and I just sort of fall out of things. I have the same problem on myth weavers.
[QUOTE] Ah. Yeah, I'm a bit of a ITP addict. :smallbiggrin:

[QUOTE]Not in the block of text I quoted, which is what counts. :smallbiggrin:

I must have missed that, sorry.

Which is because I'm someone different from whom thou quoted. :smalltongue:

ShadowFireLance
2013-10-31, 09:25 PM
Sadly I cannot do skype..
Anywho, Yeah, I was just mentioning the more famous ones.
Heck, I've got a thread around here that almost equaled the amount of PrC's that Gramarist has, with an entirely nonmagical subsystem.

Geeze, This forum is amazing.

137beth
2013-10-31, 09:57 PM
It could work pretty well. I'd even be up for playing in it (I don't have enough time to DM another game at the moment...)

Come to think of it, I think I recall a game on the pbp forums using only classes from Gnoman's E6 compendium. I didn't look at how it turned out, though.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-11-02, 09:50 PM
Gooddragon1, since you started this thread, do you want to make the inaugural post in the recruitment subforum and see if we can get a DM?

ben-zayb
2013-11-02, 10:29 PM
Sign me up! And this should thread should probably be moved. :smallwink:

Thiyr
2013-11-02, 11:14 PM
I'd play. Grammarie,yay!

Won't lie, my first thoughts were that and Xenoalchemy. I want my pack of genetically altered wardogs, blast it!

D20ragon
2013-11-02, 11:19 PM
I know. D&D=good. Spaceships=good
D&D+grammarie spaceships=awesome.

Kazyan
2013-11-02, 11:23 PM
Let's also try to branch out from the usual suspects.

Forrestfire
2013-11-02, 11:42 PM
I'm currently in a PbP game that's almost all homebrew/non-official 3.5 classes at least (Tome of Radiance magical girl class, a homebrewed shadowcaster/rogue hybrid, my own homebrew class (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306784), a PF soulknife, and a warlock).

So far, it's fairly fun, although we just started.

gooddragon1
2013-11-02, 11:51 PM
Gooddragon1, since you started this thread, do you want to make the inaugural post in the recruitment subforum and see if we can get a DM?

<--- too much of a chicken to do it.

Kazyan
2013-11-02, 11:59 PM
Then Ill do it. Hold up while I set up the thread.

ben-zayb
2013-11-03, 12:11 AM
Depending on Optimization level, I might apply with my Psychotherapist (check the sig, I know you want too! :smallwink:). Morph pegged it at T4, though, so there's not much to expect.

Zale
2013-11-03, 12:17 AM
Anything that could let me play as a Ozodrin would be something I'd attach myself to like a limpet with a billion arms and eyes that see sound and stare into the pit of the soul with a thousand screaming wonders!

Ozodrin. <3

SamBurke
2013-11-04, 05:09 PM
Then Ill do it. Hold up while I set up the thread.

Links, perhaps?

Kazyan
2013-11-04, 05:14 PM
Links, perhaps?

Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312492).

SamBurke
2013-11-05, 09:35 AM
Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312492).

Aaaaaaaand there are already a dozen people interested. o.0

AvalonŽ
2013-11-06, 12:07 AM
Recruitment thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312840) is up for those who haven't already seen it.