PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play Legend?

SouthpawSoldier
2013-10-31, 03:23 PM
I just learned about this game last week after seeing it mentioned in another thread. Visited ruleofcool, downloaded the PHB....now what? I see from blog posts that there's reflavorings of different aspects, there's forum mentions of games, but I feel underequipped to set a game up. No book of baddies, the item section seems a little empty, etc.

Do people just adapt the system or use it to reflavor other games? It seems a lot of work for the DM to go through and create individual items, animals, etc.

stack
2013-10-31, 08:03 PM
A monster book and setting books are in the works. (Also the name is Legend, not Legendary). I love the system, but it can be hard to find a game given its limited exposure.

avr
2013-10-31, 08:14 PM
Judging by the number of posts on their games' forums, very few people play Legend. It looks like a decent reinterpretation of 3.5 but not similar enough for the D&D enthusiasts or different enough for the novelty-seekers I know.

SouthpawSoldier
2013-10-31, 09:44 PM
Thanks for that; I'd just read a thread about Legen...wait for it....dary character/settings, so I was susceptible to Spoonerism.

I love what I've read so far, though some things leave me with questions. It seems possible to make your own monsters/items, but that sounds like a lot of work for the DM. Digging the useful Monk. It seems like there's lots of potential there.

Just to Browse
2013-10-31, 10:51 PM
Afroakuma, who I think is the head of the project right now(?), is on here. I don't see the game played much, which is probably because there isn't a monster handbook out. Legend has been very slow to develop for a while now, so I'm not expecting the monster book or campaign setting (and thus a surge in popularity) for maybe 1 year or more. Part of me worries Legend is going to become e20.

Yes, monsters are a huge pain in the butt to make. You can use minions instead, or just keep waiting for the monster book to come out.

Fable Wright
2013-11-01, 12:04 AM
I am currently running a Legend game, though it's slow going. Personally, I wind up making my own settings for the system with a fair bit of crunch/fluff overlay, though monsters are a pain to make. I've heard recommendations to make monsters out of the box by just taking Mook stats and adding a few signature tracks, a la the Operative rules. The items are limited, but there's enough armor/weapon customizability to cover a fair amount of that, and the rest are support-type items.

I also started a thread (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,998.msg18747.html#msg18747) over on the official Legend forums to give people a few out of the box monster stats. It's nowhere near a full monster manual, but it's something with encounters ranging from levels 1 to 20. (Though we're missing levels 16-19 monsters.) It's also fallen into disuse a bit after school picked up for me, but there's plenty of stuff there to help you get started.