PDA

View Full Version : A Weird New Idea For a Campaign

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-01-06, 06:22 PM
Ok, I had an idea that a cleric in my campaign somehow learns that he is really a game piece of the "gods" (Players and the DM) and his fate is but a die roll to them. So he vows to learn all he can to escape from his fate of being the god's plaything. What do you all think of this?

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-06, 08:15 PM
Gives a whole new meaning the word "metagaming"...
(That would be funny to a Lit major)

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-01-06, 10:03 PM
So do you think it's a good idea or a bad one?

mikeejimbo
2007-01-07, 12:51 AM
I think it's crazy. That's, of course, neither good nor bad in itself. It does, however, sound difficult to play or run.

On another note, have you heard of Discworld? In those books, the lives of people are often shown to be just a game of the gods.

Beelzebub1111
2007-01-07, 12:55 AM
Well, it seems like an interesting concept. Tell me, are the players in on that they are the gods? or will you let them figure it out for themselves?

Jack_of_Spades
2007-01-07, 04:16 AM
Sounds confusing to roleplay!

I hate them! Curses! They control my own hatred of them!

averagejoe
2007-01-07, 05:36 AM
Gives a whole new meaning the word "metagaming"...
(That would be funny to a Lit major)

I found it hilarious. Then again, I guess I'm almost a lit major...

It sounds like an interesting idea. I can't say whether it would be good, because the whole concept of a character who realizes he's in a game both confounds the mind and tickles every post-modernist bone in my body. I would probably have him, every so often (say, every time someone fumbles), nod sagely and say something like, "Alas, the gods were not with him, for he rolled as the dice roll in the depths of hell themselves." Either that or be some conspiracy nut. Say things like, "Look, man, haven't you seen it. Everything happens in twenties. Look, hit that post with your sword twenty times. I bet you'll miss once."

Maglor_Grubb
2007-01-07, 01:16 PM
Hmm, I guess the dude rolepleying me had the same idea you had...

Jewel Thief
2007-01-07, 01:39 PM
He'd realize after awhile that if he doesn't see treasure while scanning a dungeon floor, all he'll have to do is look again a few more times (re-roll), and it'll be a completely different scene.

:belkar: "I think I just failed a Spot Check."

Peregrine
2007-01-07, 01:50 PM
I quite like the idea, but it would be a) humorous and b) challenging to roleplay. If that sounds like the sort of game you want, go for it. See if the other players start playing along, one of them being sceptical, another taking the idea and running with it... heh, am I outing myself as a closet lit major too? :smallredface:

"Look, man, haven't you seen it. Everything happens in twenties. Look, hit that post with your sword twenty times. I bet you'll miss once."

Well, that's not guaranteed. But it's a pretty good bet regardless: assuming he only misses the post on a 1, that's a 64% chance of missing at least once over 20 rolls. If you're after exactly one miss, it's less happy-looking, only a 37.4% chance... (Okay, lit/maths double major?)

Roderick_BR
2007-01-07, 02:40 PM
Hmm.. I'll use some examples used on a gaming magazine here.
He could start to get crazy, and talk only in game terms, like the OOTS does, but only he'll understand it.
Or he could become angst, knowing he's just part of a game, always talking weird things from time to time, like "if the gods want it", as in, not talking about fate, but REALLY knowing that the gods control everything.

Iituem
2007-01-07, 03:18 PM
Off a napkin feat, although I should try and find my old 'Twink' class based off Red Mage for this...

Fourth Wall [Feat] - Prerequisites: Cha 18+, must have some realisation that the world is not real. Benefit: Once per hour, or once per encounter (whichever is smaller), the character can roll a charisma check against DC 20. If he succeeds, he can directly confront the 'audience' (the players) and either ask them a question (pantomime style), make a witty remark or short soliloquy on the matter, or deduce what is probably going to happen based on literary probability rather than logical thought. If he asks the players a question, it is up to the players as to whether they want to answer, but are encouraged to. Other characters must attempt the same charisma check to realise what he is doing, otherwise they believe he is talking to a blank wall.

Character: "So, boys and girls. Where is the Invisible Stalker?"
Players (in chorus): "He's behiiind you!"
Character: *stabs backwards*
Invisible Stalker: *falls over*
Character: "About bloody time."

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-01-07, 04:32 PM
I think it's crazy. That's, of course, neither good nor bad in itself. It does, however, sound difficult to play or run.

On another note, have you heard of Discworld? In those books, the lives of people are often shown to be just a game of the gods.
I've heard of it but never read it.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-07, 04:34 PM
That. Is. Awesome. My campaigns generally aren't humorous enough for that, but I love the idea.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-01-07, 04:39 PM
I'm glad you like it so much. I think the really funny thing though, is to portray it as though the cleric hates it. It's gonna be fun.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-07, 04:51 PM
Er, I was actually referring to Iituem's feat idea, sorry; you simue'd me on the post. However, your idea is a fairly good one as well, Wizard; but really depends on the players' maturity to make as fun as it can be, otherwise it'll just be confusing and annoying.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-01-07, 05:06 PM
I once knew about someone playing a game where his character was themed as a Gamer and his highest level ability was called "Metagame: All out of character knowledge is in-character knowledge."

Really, as great an idea as this sounds at first, I think that it's too easy an idea.

You'll blow through the novelty of it after a few games and all of the sudden it will be a standard D&D Game that nods a little too excessively.

Remember, it's not about how cool the concept is, it's about how long or how deep you can carry the concept.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-07, 06:15 PM
I've heard of it but never read it.

I highly suggest you read "Interesting Times" in that case. The entire novel is more or less based off a game the gods are playing.

averagejoe
2007-01-07, 06:37 PM
Well, that's not guaranteed. But it's a pretty good bet regardless: assuming he only misses the post on a 1, that's a 64% chance of missing at least once over 20 rolls. If you're after exactly one miss, it's less happy-looking, only a 37.4% chance... (Okay, lit/maths double major?)

Stats isn't real math, it has practical application :smallbiggrin: . I was giving a rough approximation, and I was assuming that a random cleric wouldn't have taken a stats class in college. Or even in high school. Clerics aren't usually good at maths, they're too intuitive. Come to think of it, this personality would go better for a wizard, or even a rogue, the guys who like intelligence.

The 8th Sin
2007-01-17, 05:14 PM

Thunder rolled.
It rolled a six.

Traveling_Angel
2007-01-17, 08:16 PM
A cool idea for a horror campaign would give each player two PCs. One is a gamer asked by his DM to create a Fantasy version of him/herself. That creation is the other player character. The Fantasy characters precede to break the 4th wall, crossing dimensions or some such. This not only results in the freedom of the "fictional" characters, but opens up a tiny hole between the universes, at first causing minor effects (like magic slowly appearing in the real world, women rights marches in the fantasy world) and then the effects become pronounced. As Chaos ensures, the PCs must undo what they have done, maybe by time travel. How is this horror? Red Wizards with Nukes. 'Nuff said.

TheOneWhoWalks
2007-01-17, 09:04 PM
I'm glad you like it so much. I think the really funny thing though, is to portray it as though the cleric hates it. It's gonna be fun.

is the cleric an NPC, or is one of your players running him?

also, does his realization have an effect on his faith and/or cleric abilites themselves?

this idea soudns like a lot of fun, and I imagen difficult and hilarious to pull off. I likes it!

Altharis
2007-01-18, 08:59 AM
This reminds me of a BALANCED REASONABLE AND AS GOOD AS CORE red mage class. He believes in the "DM" and can metagame freely. He can twink his stats, and use magic swords and skills to almost equal effect.

This idea rocks! I'm going to use it........

Shazzbaa
2007-01-18, 02:56 PM
I'd see it strictly as the stuff of a sillier game. It's one thing to make "I think I failed a Spot Check" jokes. It's entirely another to come out and say, directly, that the character is beginning to see the workings of the game. To me, that spoils something about the realness of the characters... even in a silly game, I like keep the game and real life very separate so as to keep the game a real thing, a real thing that is removed from real life.

But that is just me. You may be running the sort of game where this would be very amusing and it might be great fun. But not for anything but a game where keeping a feeling of real-ness isn't a high priority.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-18, 03:55 PM
Thunder rolled.
It rolled a six.

You win.

As for the silliness, I don't think that's necessarily true. Being nothing but a pawn of a god, unable to control your own fate? Hardly silly.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-01-18, 05:47 PM
You win.

As for the silliness, I don't think that's necessarily true. Being nothing but a pawn of a god, unable to control your own fate? Hardly silly.

Agreed. The cleric, he'll most likely be an NPC.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-18, 07:00 PM
And it could be both, even. Darkly Silly. Not just Dark Humor, Dark Silliness.

My RPG group did something like that for Halloween. It was a one shot adventure the GM called "Cthulhu wants Candy"

GuesssWho
2007-01-22, 05:42 PM
I found it hilarious. Then again, I guess I'm almost a lit major...

It sounds like an interesting idea. I can't say whether it would be good, because the whole concept of a character who realizes he's in a game both confounds the mind and tickles every post-modernist bone in my body. I would probably have him, every so often (say, every time someone fumbles), nod sagely and say something like, "Alas, the gods were not with him, for he rolled as the dice roll in the depths of hell themselves." Either that or be some conspiracy nut. Say things like, "Look, man, haven't you seen it. Everything happens in twenties. Look, hit that post with your sword twenty times. I bet you'll miss once."

Break the 4th Wall, people!
I love it . . . paranoid, but he's RIGHT! Like guys who say the CIA killed Kennedy . . .

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 05:52 PM
Yeah, like the old thing my History teacher would say. "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

blackout
2007-01-22, 06:07 PM
"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

It's true, y'know. :)