PDA

View Full Version : [PF Archetype] Warmagus - Dragon Age 2 Mages in PF - Peach

CinuzIta
2013-10-31, 09:07 PM
Hello! As usual I come here with an homebrew, looking for some peaches before using it!

Here's the point: I'm going to start a PF's campaign next week and I really think I'm going to play a Magus. While reading through the class' abilities, I thought that the class itself is a great starting point to re-create the Mage from Dragon Age 2. So I created this archetype, hoping it would be useful and not overpowered at once.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

A warmagus is proficient with simple weapons and the two-bladed sword. He can cast magus spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, a magus wearing medium armor or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component. A multiclass magus still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

This replaces the normal magus weapon and armor proficiency feature.

Somatic Weaponry (Ex)

At 1st level, when holding a quarterstaff (or a two-bladed sword) in one or both hands, the Warmagus can use that item to trace the somatic component of a spell, rather than using his fingers. This allows the Warmagus to cast spells with somatic components even while his hands are full or occupied, as long as at least one hand is holding an item of the proper size.

This ability doesn't allow the Warmagus to use somatic components while grappling, regardless of the size of his foe. A multiclass magus still can't cast spells while his hands are full for arcane spells received from other classes.

that's it, this should make the magus being able to use staves as double weapons and still being able to cast spells, just like Dragon Age 2's mages

Double Weapon Spell Combat (Ex)

At 7th level, when using Spell Combat the Warmagus can chose to make an additional attack with his off hand while fighting with a quarterstaff (or with a two-bladed sword), at maximum bab, as if he was using it as a double weapon by taking a -2 penalty on all attack rolls made during that round, as usual per Spell Combat.

This ability replaces Knowledge Pool.

A free attack, stackable with two weapon fighting

Arcane Blast (Ex)

At 10th level, the Warmagus learns to channel his arcane power through weapons. When using a quarterstaff or a two-bladed sword, the Magus can create a lance of magical energy that strikes his enemies from the distance.

An Arcane Blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An Arcane Blast deals 1d6 points of damage/4 Magus levels +Magus' Intelligence modifier, to a maximum of 5d6+Int at 20th level. An Arcane Blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the Magus’ class level (round down).
An Arcane Blast is subject to spell resistance, although the Spell Penetration feat and other effects that improve caster level checks to overcome spell resistance also apply to Arcane Blast. An Arcane Blast deals half damage to objects. Using the Arcane Blast is an attack action, and can be used to make iterative attacks. The feat Ability Focus (Arcane Blast) increases the DC for all saving throws (if any) associated with a Magus' Arcane Blast by 2.

This ability replaces Fighter Training class ability.

when not in melee, DA2's mages shots arcane lances to enemies without wasting any mana...warlock's bread and butter, so I imported the eldritch blast and changed it a little so that it dealt less damages at maximum level but it can be used with iterative attacks.

Staff Defense (Ex)

At 13th level, while wielding a quarterstaff, the staff magus gains a shield bonus to his Armor Class equal to the enhancement bonus of the quarterstaff or two-bladed sword he is wielding, including any enhancement bonus on that staff from his arcane pool class feature.

This ability replaces Heavy armor class ability.

all in all, in DA2 mages are not tanks, so I imported this ability from the Staff Magus

---

I was also considering adding another alternative class feature (wich is some kind of downside in opposition to the other abilities the magus gets) but I'm still not convinced.

Blood Magic (Su)

At 11th level, the Warmagus’s ability to cast spells becomes more visceral. His power comes from his very blood, temporarily draining his life force but allowing him to cast spells almost without any arcane effort. As a move action, the Warmagus can take advantage of his wounds and gain power from the blood flowing away from him. He accelerates its bleeding, taking a -10 penalty to Constitution. While the penalty is active, he can cast any spell he has prepared without wasting any spell slot. The penalty lasts for 15 - New Con modifier rounds, or until the magus dismiss it, using a complete round action.

hope this makes any sense: the magus becomes very frail for the duration of blood magic, but substantially he can start spamming spells without any fear of running out of spells' slots.

What do you guys think? :)

Arkwright
2013-11-02, 06:43 AM
-Somatic weaponry; is this intended to apply if the Warmagus multi-classes and casts spells from another class?

-Double Weapon Spell Combat; does this -2 stack with the -2 penalty from Spell Combat?

-Arcane Blast; is that a range of 60ft or a range increment of 60ft, like with a bow?

-Hitpoints are so much cheaper than arcane pool points, this ability is extremely overpowered. Let them trade in Constitution in the form of temporary Con damage instead of hitpoints.

CinuzIta
2013-11-02, 08:32 AM
- Somatic weaponry is supposed to work only with magus spells! I'm going to specify it in the description!
- No, they doesn't stack..they are the same penalty, simply the magus is now able to make an extra attack
- That is a range!
- Don't know, I got to think about it: while is surely a better solution, I've never liked abilities that work via ability damage!

CinuzIta
2013-11-03, 10:14 AM
Bumped and Updated.

I've reworded some abilities and changed Blood Magic completely.

ngilop
2013-11-04, 07:59 PM
blood magic is a bit.. crazy you need to pecify that it work for magus only spells. but even then I just feel that unlimited spells is a bit over the top. id agree with taking actual CON damage to cast spells without loss o spell slot. that way it actually matters.

other than that ability. it looks really neat its def an interesting take.

CinuzIta
2013-11-05, 06:03 AM
well blood magic is not really a priority: as I've written that's probably not going to be in the archetype, I just wanted to create Blood Magic for fun..what if beside the Con penalty they also have to pay half the spell level in HP when casting it?