PDA

View Full Version : First time making a character, critique me!

Beige Dragon
2013-10-31, 11:04 PM
So, i've been wanting to play dnd for quite awhile, and finally made a character for it, using the 3.5e player's handbook. I didn't use any particular format, just went along with what the book provided, and here's what I came up with. Please critique my character, suggest changes, and tell me what I missed! Thanks, and I accept all constructive criticism, so feel free to be a bit blunt!

INT15 CHA9 CON13 STR10 WIS13 DEX10

Desc: 5'3, 96 pounds, deep green eyes, pale skinned, black short hair.
Male, a averaging looking, and relativley thin.
Aged 140
Aramil Siannodel (Alias: Aran Moonbrook)
Align: Neutral Good
Left his home to adventure in other lands, hoping to learn new spells, and discover ancient arcane knowledge.
He studied for many years for his magical talent, and now wishes to prove it to all.
Thinks highly of himself, a bit arrogant.
Class: Wizard
HP: 8
Worships: Boccob
Level 1 stuff: o attack bonus, 0 fortitude save, 0 reflex save, +2 will save
Feat: Summon familiar, scribe scroll, maximize spell
Spells: lvl 0-3 lvl 1-2 lvl 2-1
Profeciencies: proficient with the club,
dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow,
and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield.
Armor of any type interferes with a wizard’s movements,
which can cause her spells with somatic components to fail.
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 4, Craft (Painting) 4, Profession (Apothecary) 4,
Spellcraft 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4
Launguages: Common, Elven, Draconic
Familiar: Toad (+3 hitpoints) (Not quite sure on Toad's stats)
Spells known: Ray of frost, Presdistigation, Disrupt undead(<Lvl 0)
Disguise self, Enlarge person
Summon monster II
Items: Explorer's outfit(Worn), Masterwork Artisian's tools, Spellbook, Spell componet pouch,
1-oz of ink, 9 1-square yard canvas', inkpen, 2 baskets

GoblinArchmage
2013-10-31, 11:09 PM
What race is he?

Edit: By the way, at level 1 you can't cast second level spells.

OldTrees1
2013-10-31, 11:41 PM
What race is he?

Well, it is possible with the Precocious Apprentice feat. However he does not have that feat.
Perhaps it is a human and "Summon Familiar" is a typo in the feat line? (Since summon familiar is a class feature and not a feat)

I want know more about this character than
1) Wants to prove himself
2) Wants to get more powerful

AMFV
2013-11-01, 12:08 AM
So, i've been wanting to play dnd for quite awhile, and finally made a character for it, using the 3.5e player's handbook. I didn't use any particular format, just went along with what the book provided, and here's what I came up with. Please critique my character, suggest changes, and tell me what I missed! Thanks, and I accept all constructive criticism, so feel free to be a bit blunt!

INT15 CHA9 CON13 STR10 WIS13 DEX10

Have you asked your DM if you can move a couple of stat points around, 15 Int as a wizard is pretty rough, if you could move 2 or 3 points from wisdom to int you'd be sitting much prettier.

Desc: 5'3, 96 pounds, deep green eyes, pale skinned, black short hair.
Aged 140
Left his home to adventure in other lands, hoping to learn new spells, and discover ancient arcane knowledge.
He studied for many years for his magical talent, and now wishes to prove it to all.
Thinks highly of himself, a bit arrogant.
HP: 8
Feat: Summon familiar, scribe scroll, maximize spell

I would use Empower rather than Maximize as it tends to be easier at lower levels. I would honestly drop it at this point though, as you won't see much use out of it till you can get higher level spells.

Do you intend to be blasting or not, if battlefield control is your game then Maximize is absolutely worthless (well generally not absolutely but very nearly)

Spells: lvl 0-3 lvl 1-2 lvl 2-1

Several other folks have already pointed out the second level spell problem, have you figured this one out?

Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 4, Craft (Painting) 4, Profession (Apothecary) 4,

You definitely, definitely, definitely want to up concentration till you can make defensive casting checks, cause when you need to do that, hopefully never, failing will absolutely suck.

Familiar: Toad (+3 hitpoints) (Not quite sure on Toad's stats)

Toad is pretty valueless, it can't move fast, gives something that doesn't scale well and can't use spell trigger items. Raven is usually pretty much better in every way. Rats have more skills and the like.

Spells known: Ray of frost, Presdistigation, Disrupt undead(<Lvl 0)
Disguise self, Enlarge person
Summon monster II

You have a lot less spells than you should see:

A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own.

You should have at least five first level spells. I would take Color Spray, at low levels it's pretty amazing, there are many other good options as well.

Items: Explorer's outfit(Worn), Masterwork Artisian's tools, Spellbook, Spell componet pouch,
1-oz of ink, 9 1-square yard canvas', inkpen, 2 baskets

Always have at least three spell component pouches in different spots on your person, no point in having those get snagged or lost or damaged.

The Blackbird
2013-11-01, 01:44 AM
What race is he?

What I think he did was add his 2nd level bonus spell.

In case I am correct Beige Dragon, you're not supposed to add your bonus level spell until you can actually cast spells of that level.

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-01, 01:52 AM
Have you asked your DM if you can move a couple of stat points around, 15 Int as a wizard is pretty rough, if you could move 2 or 3 points from wisdom to int you'd be sitting much prettier.

Definately do this.

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-01, 03:00 AM
List your race, please!
I want to take a guess at either Dwarf or Elf, based on your age of 140.
Leaning toward Elf due to his personality, appearance, and Alignment, which would imply that you originally put a 15 in Con and an 8 in Dex...Owch.

The advice given before me is exactly what I would tell you.

The only things I would touch upon are your skills and equipment. I'd drop those four ranks in Painting (You can earn money with your profession skill), which would allow you to return those 55gp Masterwork Tools and canvas (Keep the writing implements. I've DM'd many encounters where nobody had things to write on and it can come to haunt you. Zone of Silence has nothing on my pen and paper).
That 55gp could come a long way at lv1.

Slap those 4 skills points into Concentration.

And remember, Clubs are free.
Your only offensive spells is a ray (Which uses a touch attack, so you might wanna finagle with that Dex), and sometimes it's safe for a Wizard to flank, or even attempt to attack, a weak enemy that's distracted by an ally. It's a bit of a risk, but at low level that +2 for you Fighter is a big help, and allows your Rogue to get his Sneak Attack damage.

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-01, 03:22 AM
List your race, please!
I want to take a guess at either Dwarf or Elf, based on your age of 140.
Leaning toward Elf due to his personality, appearance, and Alignment, which would imply that you originally put a 15 in Con and an 8 in Dex...Owch.

If you are an Elf, consider being a Gray Elf, from the Monster Manual. They are completely identical to regular Elves in every way, but, in addition, they get a +2 to Intelligence (which is important for Wizards) at the cost of a -2 to Strength (which is fairly worthless for Wizards).

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 05:07 PM
The race was elf, I forget to type it down. The reason I picked the frog for my familiar, is that the handbook didn't go into much detail at all about familiars, nor did it provide stats for each animal I could choose, so I just picked the frog for the +3 health and planned on maybe eating him as emergency rations. The reason I had a bonus lvl 1 and lvl 2 spell, was because on page 8, the handbook has a table titled "abillity modifiers and bonus spells". It shows on the line for 15 abillity score, that you gain a bonus level 1 spell, and a bonus level 2 spell. I presume im not understanding that correctly, and if everyone thinks my rolls are so bad, i'll just reroll them, as I have yet to submit the sheet. Im not sure about switching to grey elf, as im trying to keep it simple and relativley not over-optimized, and keeping to the players handbook. I'll repick my spells then, so as I understand it, I get all the level 0 spells, and 3 level 1 spells? Do I get the bonus level 1 spells I would get from the bonus spell table? I plan on adding more to the backstory of him.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 05:21 PM
Alright, here goes

You sir/madam (remove inappropriate) are a terrible, terrible human being who bring shame to our entire specie. When people meet you in the street they start apologising to other bystanders for having witnessed your existence, you.....

Oh

wait...

You wanted a critique of the character didn't you ?

Ahem, here goes

You sir/madam (remove inappropriate) are a terrible, terrible (insert relevant race here) being who bring shame to y/our (use our only if human) entire specie. When people meet you in the street they start apologising to other bystanders for having witnessed your existence, you.....

Oh

Wait

You meant a critique of the build didn't you ?

Ahem, third time is the charm

You sir/madam (remove inappropriate) are a terrible, terrible builder who bring shame to this entire community. When people read your posts they start apologising to other forum goers for having witnessed your existence, you.....

oh

Wait

You wanted some constructive criticism didn't you ?

All joke asside (I'm really sorry I had to do it, it was too tempting to resist, I meant none of it)

You only get bonus spells from ability modifiers if your class grant you access to spells of that level normaly.

So even tough you have enough in your ability to cast 2nd level spell, wizard don't get access to those until 3rd level so you just ignore the bonus till then.

AMFV
2013-11-01, 05:30 PM
The race was elf, I forget to type it down. The reason I picked the frog for my familiar, is that the handbook didn't go into much detail at all about familiars, nor did it provide stats for each animal I could choose, so I just picked the frog for the +3 health and planned on maybe eating him as emergency rations. The reason I had a bonus lvl 1 and lvl 2 spell, was because on page 8, the handbook has a table titled "abillity modifiers and bonus spells". It shows on the line for 15 abillity score, that you gain a bonus level 1 spell, and a bonus level 2 spell. I presume im not understanding that correctly, and if everyone thinks my rolls are so bad, i'll just reroll them, as I have yet to submit the sheet. Im not sure about switching to grey elf, as im trying to keep it simple and relativley not over-optimized, and keeping to the players handbook. I'll repick my spells then, so as I understand it, I get all the level 0 spells, and 3 level 1 spells? Do I get the bonus level 1 spells I would get from the bonus spell table? I plan on adding more to the backstory of him.

Definitely switch to Grey (sp. I can never remember which things get British spelling) Elf, then you'll have a 17 intelligence which is much much much more workable.

Also look up "Being Batman: LogicNinja's Guide To Wizards", and "Treantmonks Guide To Being God." Those are both exceptional guides while I don't agree with everything in them I use them as resources often.

Daftendirekt
2013-11-01, 05:44 PM
96 pounds? Even at 5'3'' that's really light.

Runeclaw
2013-11-01, 05:58 PM
At low levels, even a wizard should have weapons. Get yourself a quarterstaff and a crossbow. You may not be highly dangerous with them, but when those few spell slots are used up, it will give you something to do in combat. And keeping a weapon in your hand will allow you to take free shots on foes if they happen to trigger an attack of opportunity.

Are you using randomly rolled stats? And rolled unwitnessed? That's a terrible system of stat generation, but...yeah, see if you can't raise that Int somehow. A 16, at least, would be good. 18 is (obviously) better. I'd probably rank Dex above Wis. It will give you some AC, ranged attack bonus, and Reflex save vs. just Will save. You're going to need the AC especially at low levels, and the ranged attack will help with rays and when you resort to plinking with your crossbow.

Also, you have, in my opinion, way too many "fluff" concept skills. And not enough crunchy useful skills. The Wizard list is pretty terrible, but get Concentration, keep Spellcraft. Ditch the Craft and Profession unless it's for a specific purpose, and I'd lose the Religion (let your Cleric handle that). Go cross-class for useful things like Spot/Listen, Ride (just 1 rank), Heal (it's nice to be able to try for First Aid), Use Magical Device (not a Wizard skill but feels like it should be), or stuff like that. Better to get ranks in a useful cross-class skill than ranks in a useless class skill.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 06:04 PM
I've attempted to make my character BETTER! Because, I mean, he was so great last time! I know, i know, you doubted it could be possible, but he is, infact, a better wizard now. Maybe. Possibly. I'm not sure, im not very good at this whole "character making" thing. Some questions: Where can I find stats for familiars? On the bonus spell table, does that mean I get bonus spells, or bonus spell SLOTS? How does one get more slots? I know each level you get 2 new spells to chose from, and they can be of any spell level you can cast, but im a bit fuzzy on how I get more slots. Anyways, heres the sheet so far.

Dex16(14+2) Str10(12-2) Int18(16+2) Wis15 Con14(16-2) Cha13

Desc: 6'3, 114 pounds, deep amber eyes, pale skinned, silver long hair.
Aged 140
Race: Elf
Born to a very wealthy family, Aramil excelled in wizardry all his life.
Even at a young age, he was arrogant about it.
He would always show off his skills in wizardry to all who would entertain him, laughing in their faces.
But one day, when he was nearing adulthood,
his families entire estate was repossessed, for his family had not made their riches by legitimate means.
Indeed, they had taken multiple deals with outsiders to gain this wealth,
and they had come to collect, sending his family into hiding.
Humbled by having to spend most of the rest of his life in the slums,
Aramil hopes to one day earn enough money to regain all his parents owned,
and find where they had fled from the debt collectors.
HP: 7
Feat: Summon familiar, scribe scroll, Spell focus (Conjuration)
Spells: lvl 0-all lvl 1-3 lvl 2-0
Skills: Concentration 4, Craft (Painting) 4, Profession (Apothecary) 4,
Familiar: Raven
Spells known: All level 0
Color spray, summon monster I, Magic missile, (If I get a 4th level 1 spell from int bonus) Obscuring mist

Items: Explorer's outfit(Worn), Masterwork Artisian's tools, Spellbook,
spell componet pouch, spell componet pouch, spell componet pouch,
Club (I was told it was free)

Runeclaw
2013-11-01, 06:07 PM
Well, those stats are certainly better. I mean, not just better arranged, but flat-out better.

You should get a total of 6 first level spells. 3 + 3 for your Intelligence bonus.

Spell slots are the sum of Spells per Day from the Wizard table plus the bonus from the Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters).

So your 1st level Wizard with an Int 18 gets 2 (1+1) first level spells per day. Hence the crossbow...

You gain slots both by leveling up and by increasing your Intelligence (but mostly by leveling up).

Elderand
2013-11-01, 06:08 PM
Familliars have the same stats as a normal member of their species unless noted otherwise, so you find those stats in the animal section of the monster manual.

You get bonus slots, not bonus spells.
Main way to get more slots is that you get more as you level and as you raise your ability score.

There are, I believe, feat to get more slots but they aren't really worth it.

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-01, 06:12 PM
so I just picked the frog for the +3 health and planned on maybe eating him as emergency rations.
I get all the level 0 spells, and 3 level 1 spells? Do I get the bonus level 1 spells I would get from the bonus spell table?
Cut down for main points.

That +3 hp scales terribly. In one level, you'll get more health than that frog gives. Not to mention that a frog is worthless in essentially all situations.
And do not eat your familiar as emergency rations. You can last a hell of a long time without food, and if your familiar dies you lose XP points, and cannot gain a new one for 366 days. Eat the hirelings and animal companions before you eat your familiar.

But, yes, you do get a bonus lv2 spell. BUT, you are not a high enough wizard to have 2nd level spell slots.
When you level enough to actually gain said spell slots (Wizard 4), then that bonus spell comes into play.

And again, that 55gp saved from not trying to be a painter (Skills like that are great for a campaign focused, or at least half-focused, on such things. Find that out. Plus you have a profession.) could go to a weapon. A club or quarterstaff is free, and 55gp buys a heavy crossbow (1d10 damage at a low level is enough to kill things like goblins in a single shot) and 50 bolts. But you could save and get a Light crossbow (1d8) for 35gp.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 06:15 PM
Well, those stats are certainly better. I mean, not just better arranged, but flat-out better.

You should get a total of 6 first level spells. 3 + 3 for your Intelligence bonus.

Spell slots are the sum of Spells per Day from the Wizard table plus the bonus from the Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters).

So your 1st level Wizard with an Int 18 gets 2 (1+1) first level spells per day. Hence the crossbow...

You gain slots both by leveling up and by increasing your Intelligence (but mostly by leveling up).

Yeah, I think I might've used the wrong dice or something the first time, plus grey elf helps with the intelligence alot (+2!) I'll add my spellslots to my sheet.

So, for spell slots. Is it like, say, I put summon monster I as one of my level 1 spells, for a level 1 spell slot. Then I can cast it once, and have to rest 8 hours to recover it? If so, sounds like my wizard is going to have a hard time. Might have to get rid of the masterwork artisan's tools, and grab a crossbow.

Icewraith
2013-11-01, 06:15 PM
Shouldn't you only have 6hp? max d4 (4) + con bonus (2) = 6?

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 06:20 PM
Shouldn't you only have 6hp? max d4 (4) + con bonus (2) = 6?

I think your right, I might've added the Constitution bonus before I swapped elf for grey elf.

---
Also, if anyones wondering, im kind of going for making minions to help out in fighting, along with a few spells to just help out or blast. Not too much focus on anything.

Icewraith
2013-11-01, 06:33 PM
Bog-standard elf still has a con penalty. You may have calculated your HP before remembering to apply the con penalty however.

If you're building really long term I'd suggest putting 15 in DEX and 14 in Wis instead of vice versa. If you find an odd-numbered tome or wish for stat ups at higher level an extra point of dex mod (armor class, reflex saves, touch attacks/AC will be more beneficial than shoring up your already good will save. Inherent bonuses max out at five, and there are by definition more odd numbered tomes than even numbered ones to acquire via random treasure.

This is a super long term minor fiddly tweak, but since it's the only difference between the value of a 14 and a 15 in a score you won't be boosting (aside from which type of stat-draining undead your DM eventually may throw at you), it's worth thinking about.

edit: if you plan on mostly summoning minions, (1) wait a few levels since at caster level 1 your summoned monsters will be around for one round, and (2) you may want to rethink spell focus:conjuration unless you already have a prestige class in mind.

If you plan on using things like grease, glitterdust, stinking cloud, and other save-inducing conjuration spells this can still be a solid choice. The orb spells typically used for blasting by conjuration-focused wizards are touch attacks, with a possible save against an annoying effect. Force Orb, which is used against targets with magical defenses you otherwise cannot penetrate or your summons cannot injure, has no save whatsoever. If you mainly end up using minions and force orb (and no-save effects like solid fog) you won't get any mileage out of that spell focus.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 06:47 PM
Bog-standard elf still has a con penalty. You may have calculated your HP before remembering to apply the con penalty however.

If you're building really long term I'd suggest putting 15 in DEX and 14 in Wis instead of vice versa. If you find an odd-numbered tome or wish for stat ups at higher level an extra point of dex mod (armor class, reflex saves, touch attacks/AC will be more beneficial than shoring up your already good will save. Inherent bonuses max out at five, and there are by definition more odd numbered tomes than even numbered ones to acquire via random treasure.

This is a super long term minor fiddly tweak, but since it's the only difference between the value of a 14 and a 15 in a score you won't be boosting (aside from which type of stat-draining undead your DM eventually may throw at you), it's worth thinking about.

edit: if you plan on mostly summoning minions, (1) wait a few levels since at caster level 1 your summoned monsters will be around for one round, and (2) you may want to rethink spell focus:conjuration unless you already have a prestige class in mind.

If you plan on using things like grease, glitterdust, stinking cloud, and other save-inducing conjuration spells this can still be a solid choice. The orb spells typically used for blasting by conjuration-focused wizards are touch attacks, with a possible save against an annoying effect. Force Orb, which is used against targets with magical defenses you otherwise cannot penetrate or your summons cannot injure, has no save whatsoever. If you mainly end up using minions and force orb (and no-save effects like solid fog) you won't get any mileage out of that spell focus.

I havent thought out eventually taking a prestiege class, so what would you suggest I use for spells? Not nessicarily anything specialized, just some all around pretty solid spells. Also, my feat. It doesnt seem that any of the metamagic feats are any good right now, as I cant afford to use them on spells and still use the spell, till around 5th level, where I get another feat anyways.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 06:50 PM
I havent thought out eventually taking a prestiege class, so what would you suggest I use for spells? Not nessicarily anything specialized, just some all around pretty solid spells. Also, my feat. It doesnt seem that any of the metamagic feats are any good right now, as I cant afford to use them on spells and still use the spell, till around 5th level, where I get another feat anyways.

This is your friend for a good start on which spells to take
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002

Jergmo
2013-11-01, 06:52 PM
I remember my first character in D&D. He, too, was an elf wizard. It's been six years since I started playing, and giving advice to someone that just started honestly has me very excited.

If I may, I'd like to recommend replacing obscuring mist with grease. Casting a grease spell in front of a tight spot (say, a choke point in front of your fighter) or under groups of enemies, especially at low level, can be used to great effect.

My personal spell list at your level, using the Core books and having the spells at your disposal would have roughly been:

Magic Missile, Shield, Enlarge Person, Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Protection from Evil

I remember in our first encounter, it was against a group of bandits. I cast it under a small group of them and one rolled a natural 1 on his Reflex save. It was decided that he broke his neck.

If you ever decide you need more Concentration, I would advise against taking Combat Casting - instead taking Skill Focus (concentration), as it will always apply.

I understand your attachment to wanting your character to have a painting skill, though I do have a suggestion considering he has worked as an apothecary: focus on it. Your character may not have much downtime to actually paint, and it's a skill you have to use often in a realistic sense, even if you are a brilliant painter.

Craft (alchemy) fits with the apothecary bit, as does knowledge (nature).

Also, I make a great deal of simplified stat blocks. If you're using what you have, and not a character sheet, I'd like to show you my basic stat block I use to keep things simple and flowing.

Recreating for example.

Ulaundr Erendil: 1st level elf wizard. - True Neutral. 0/1,000 XP
HP: 5 Init: +1 AC: 11 (+1 Dex), flat-footed 10, touch 11
Attack: Heavy crossbow +1 ranged (1d10) or quarterstaff -1 melee (1d6-1)
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3
Str 8, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration +9, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Listen +4, Spellcraft +6, Spot +4
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (concentration)
Low-light vision, +2 vs. enchantment
Basic items (not worn)
Magic items

Spells Per Day: 3/2
Spells Known: 0—all; 1st—enlarge person, grease, magic missile, protection from evil, shield.

Description.

Background.

Icewraith
2013-11-01, 06:57 PM

I'd recommend googling "guide batman wizard" or "guide god wizard" and just skipping down to the recommended core spells section. The other sections are an excellent and strongly recommended read, since they tell you how to be a very effective wizard indeed, but there's a lot of information to sift through and much of it may not be applicable at your table (or geared towards higher level play). However, the spells I mentioned previously (especially Grease, which you can get right now as it's a 1st level spell) will mostly be on that list. With 6 hp you might also consider mage armor whenever you expect trouble in the next hour of in-game time, and putting any terrain features like tables, trees, and the party fighter in between you and any opponents you may run into for cheap cover. Sleep or Color Spray can be very effective at 1st level.

Edit: Shield is better than mage armor at higher levels, but it will have a comparatively short duration at level one. Since you can't take a hit without fear of getting koed (all your DM has to do is roll max on a d6 and you're out for the encounter) you might also consider stacking Mage Armor and then Shielding yourself on the first round of combat with anything with ranged weapons.

Double Edit: The combat casting advice is good UNLESS it turns out there's a feat you want with it as a prerequisite.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 07:08 PM
I remember my first character in D&D. He, too, was an elf wizard. It's been six years since I started playing, and giving advice to someone that just started honestly has me very excited.

If I may, I'd like to recommend replacing obscuring mist with grease. Casting a grease spell in front of a tight spot (say, a choke point in front of your fighter) or under groups of enemies, especially at low level, can be used to great effect.

My personal spell list at your level, using the Core books and having the spells at your disposal would have roughly been:

Magic Missile, Shield, Enlarge Person, Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Protection from Evil

I remember in our first encounter, it was against a group of bandits. I cast it under a small group of them and one rolled a natural 1 on his Reflex save. It was decided that he broke his neck.

If you ever decide you need more Concentration, I would advise against taking Combat Casting - instead taking Skill Focus (concentration), as it will always apply.

I understand your attachment to wanting your character to have a painting skill, though I do have a suggestion considering he has worked as an apothecary: focus on it. Your character may not have much downtime to actually paint, and it's a skill you have to use often in a realistic sense, even if you are a brilliant painter.

Craft (alchemy) fits with the apothecary bit, as does knowledge (nature).

Also, I make a great deal of simplified stat blocks. If you're using what you have, and not a character sheet, I'd like to show you my basic stat block I use to keep things simple and flowing.

Character Name: Level, Race, Class. (ex: 1st level elf wizard.) - Alignment - XP (ex: 0/1,000)
HP: Init: AC: (), flat-footed AC, touch AC
Attack:
Saves:
Attribute array
Skills:
Feats:
Racial abilities
Basic items (not worn)
Magic items

Spells Per Day: (ex. 3/1)
Spells Known: 0—; 1st—.

Description.

Background.

I think you're right in taking grease. For the painting, I want to keep it, mostly for something I can do in anytown between adventurers, as apothecary would be kind of hard to work with in less industrial cities. It also shows that he's had a wealthy upbringing, and it is something he can show off to someone. I might change my Profession (Apothecary) to something more suiting him, if you have any suggestions. I mostly picked that one because the professions description didn't list any I thought might match his painting.

Jergmo
2013-11-01, 07:13 PM
I filled in the example sheet with stats based off of my old character and the Elite array, to flesh out the example a bit.

Cross-class Listen/Spot can help as listed above. It will also make the bonuses from being an elf a little less superfluous.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 07:25 PM
I filled in the example sheet with stats based off of my old character and the Elite array, to flesh out the example a bit.

Cross-class Listen/Spot can help as listed above. It will also make the bonuses from being an elf a little less superfluous.

How are you getting 5 level 1 spells at level 1?

Jergmo
2013-11-01, 07:27 PM
How are you getting 5 level 1 spells at level 1?

He has two level 1 spells per day but knows 5 1st level spells. It turns out I gave him an extra one, that's a slip-up on my part, but I would like to point out you can scribe spells off of scrolls to your spellbook. Someone brought up the potential uses for 55gp - one would be buying a scroll and copying the spell to your spellbook. You get a new spell and an extra use via the scroll.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 07:42 PM
I have a question on scribe scroll. So say I wish to scribe a scroll of sleep. Its spell level is 1 [times] its caster level is 1(I think) [times] the 25 gp. So its base price would be 25gp. Then, to scribe it, it requires 1/25th of the base price in xp, so it would be 1 xp. And I would need to pay half the base price, so like, 12GP. Am I missing something here, because that seems a bit broken. I could just hang out in a cave for a week or two and get tons of magic missile scrolls, costing hardly any gold or XP, and either use or sell them.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 07:46 PM
I have a question on scribe scroll. So say I wish to scribe a scroll of sleep. Its spell level is 1 [times] its caster level is 1(I think) [times] the 25 gp. So its base price would be 25gp. Then, to scribe it, it requires 1/25th of the base price in xp, so it would be 1 xp. And I would need to pay half the base price, so like, 12GP. Am I missing something here, because that seems a bit broken. I could just hang out in a cave for a week or two and get tons of magic missile scrolls, costing hardly any gold or XP, and either use or sell them.

Nope, your reading is correct on this. 1st level spell are dirt cheap but things escalate quickly. 2nd level spell scroll cost 6 xp and 75 gp to make. 3rd is 15 xp and 375.5 gp and os on and so forth.

Jergmo
2013-11-01, 08:05 PM
You could do that, but ultimately that's still materials burning a hole in your pocket and valuable time. In a week of adventuring, you may have shot up a few levels.

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-01, 08:06 PM

Indeed you could.
Slaughter a small troupe of Goblins to get a base gold/EXP fund.

Boom, economic powerhouse. There's significantly better ways, but yeah, spellcasters can turn into cash cows.

Literally, if your Polymorph is so inclined.

nyjastul69
2013-11-01, 08:40 PM
... Edit: Shield is better than mage armor at higher levels...

Why do you consider this to be so?

Jergmo
2013-11-01, 08:54 PM
Why do you consider this to be so?

It's one thing to be able to deflect magic missiles. The other primary benefit is that a deflection bonus adds to your touch AC.

Karnith
2013-11-01, 08:59 PM
It's one thing to be able to deflect magic missiles. The other primary benefit is that a deflection bonus adds to your touch AC.
Shield doesn't give you a deflection bonus to AC, it gives you a shield bonus. It is a force effect, meaning that it applies against incorporeal touch attacks, but so does Mage Armor.

Jergmo
2013-11-01, 09:03 PM
My mistake. It could be because of Greater Mage Armor, or because of armor enhancements from bracers, robes, and so on.

nyjastul69
2013-11-01, 09:04 PM

I get the MM part. That's mostly relevant at lower levels though. Which of those 2 spells give a deflection bonus? Although shield can be useful at higher levels because one may already have an armor bonus from equipment. Armor bonuses seem to be easier to come by than shield bonuses. Still, the durations make me consider, campaign specifics aside, Mage Armor a better choice than Shield.

OldTrees1
2013-11-01, 09:05 PM

Mage Armor is able to be up most of the day with 1 1st level slot.
Shield has a duration measured in minutes. Thus you will need to recast before/in battle. This uses 3-4 1st level slots on average.

The importance of the number of spell slots becomes less as you climb levels.
However the expended action becomes more important as you climb levels.

However the clincher is that eventually you can buy armor that is as good as mage armor (0% spellcasting failure).

ericp65
2013-11-01, 10:31 PM
Definitely switch to Grey (sp. I can never remember which things get British spelling) Elf, then you'll have a 17 intelligence which is much much much more workable.

Never feel obligated to use British spellings. Gray Elf works just fine :smallsmile:

Beige Dragon, take it slow, as there's a lot of information to go over as you familiarize yourself with how D&D arcane magic works. You haven't commented about spellbooks yet, that I've seen, but don't hesitate to ask questions about those, too, if you need to.

You're a braver soul than I, making a spellcaster as your first character. It took a while before I felt comfortable enough to write up and play a wizard, but then I most enjoy smacking things with weapons until they're defeated :smallsmile:

Captnq
2013-11-01, 10:34 PM
Okay. First of all. Go HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9479.0).

Then check out The Spell Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg72093#msg72093).
The first section is the rules section. All the rules. Read it. Learn it. All 40 pages.
The second section is metamagic. Judging by the fact you took maximize indicates you are not familiar with the concept of what metamagic does. Read it. Enjoy it. Get a good idea what your options are.
The next section is the spell lists. Find yours. Look up your options.

At second level, if you insist on dishing out the damage, hail of stone and combust. Enjoy.

Meanwhile, you might want to upgrade your equipment.
Check out the Weapon Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9053.msg183871#msg183871). I suggest a crossbow.

A heavy crossbow. With an underslung Crossbow Bayonet sword. and a wand chamber. And a Triple weapon capsule retainer. And an Oil Chamber.

And buy some blister Oil. Cheap. Effective. Multiple use. Awesome stuff.

Actually, you'll most likely need to run it by your DM. Just showing him the handbook is likely to make him have seizures. Just for the fun of it, start off asking, "Hey, can buy Aboleth Mucus? This handbook says it's only 20 gp." (which it is.) Bonus points if his head actually explodes.

Finally, after you get ALL that done, in about 4 levels you are going to need to start thinking about multiclassing into a prestige class. You don't have to, but about 5th level is when you can start. So, (and take your time, this is a dead last priority.) read THIS (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg73050#msg73050) or download the spreadsheet HERE (http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1382631190).

There. That's about all I have to say on the matter.

Have fun.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-01, 10:42 PM
Okay. First of all. Go HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9479.0).

Then check out The Spell Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg72093#msg72093).
The first section is the rules section. All the rules. Read it. Learn it. All 40 pages.
The second section is metamagic. Judging by the fact you took maximize indicates you are not familiar with the concept of what metamagic does. Read it. Enjoy it. Get a good idea what your options are.
The next section is the spell lists. Find yours. Look up your options.

At second level, if you insist on dishing out the damage, hail of stone and combust. Enjoy.

Meanwhile, you might want to upgrade your equipment.
Check out the Weapon Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9053.msg183871#msg183871). I suggest a crossbow.

A heavy crossbow. With an underslung Crossbow Bayonet sword. and a wand chamber. And a Triple weapon capsule retainer. And an Oil Chamber.

And buy some blister Oil. Cheap. Effective. Multiple use. Awesome stuff.

Actually, you'll most likely need to run it by your DM. Just showing him the handbook is likely to make him have seizures. Just for the fun of it, start off asking, "Hey, can buy Aboleth Mucus? This handbook says it's only 20 gp." (which it is.) Bonus points if his head actually explodes.

Finally, after you get ALL that done, in about 4 levels you are going to need to start thinking about multiclassing into a prestige class. You don't have to, but about 5th level is when you can start. So, (and take your time, this is a dead last priority.) read THIS (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg73050#msg73050) or download the spreadsheet HERE (http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1382631190).

There. That's about all I have to say on the matter.

Have fun.

What part of "I don't want to be particularly over optimized" and "I mainly want to use the players handbook" passed you by? I mean, you DID link to a forum called "minmax boards".

fishyfishyfishy
2013-11-01, 10:52 PM
He's only trying to help.

You have chosen one of the most complicated, and potentially powerful classes in the whole game. Even using core only material.

A question for you: What are the rest of your party going to play as? This can alter your choice in spells and feats significantly. If you have a Barbarian, a Fighter and a Paladin in your party then the spell Enlarge Person will definitely see more use than if you were adventuring with 2 Rogues and a Sorcerer. On that note, if there are other primary spell casters in the group you may want to coordinate with them and see what type of character they are planning on building so there is less overlap between you. Even Divine classes like the Druid and Cleric can have a lot of overlap with the Wizard as far as role is concerned.

Ignominia
2013-11-01, 11:07 PM
Dex16(14+2) Str10(12-2) Int18(16+2) Wis15 Con14(16-2) Cha13

What you seem to have listed here are just your base saves. Your saves also benefit from your ability modifiers. They should be:
Fort+2 Ref +3 Wil +5

EDIT: Oh, and congrats on your first character. Mine was a wild elf ranger...:smallsmile:

Captnq
2013-11-01, 11:18 PM
What part of "I don't want to be particularly over optimized" and "I mainly want to use the players handbook" passed you by? I mean, you DID link to a forum called "minmax boards".

Dude.

What I gave you is the BASICS.

the first link is to the NOOB handbook. Since you already chose a wizard, just skip down to the section called 21 traps for noobs.

If you are going to play a wizard, you need to know how the magic system works. My handbook explains the rule system all in one place, not spread out over 4 books. It includes time tested advice and comments.

The metamagic section has Comments and editorials that explain EACH metamagic feat and how they interact with each other and various spells including statistics and commentary.

If you only want to use core stuff, FINE, each entry is individually listed by source. Just look at the ones that say "PHB" and ignore the others. The advice on how to use Maximize is the same no matter what other books you are using. Here's an example:

MAXIMIZE SPELL ENTRY IN THE SPELLBOOK

Editor: Maximize Spell is Empower Spell’s more expensive but less useful cousin. It can be used to gain a slight increase in damage compared to Empower Spell with high-level damage spells. For example, the most instant area effect damage you can get out of a 6th-level slot is 60 points with a maximized fireball. In the 9th-level slot, however, an empowered delayed blast fireball deals more damage than a maximized chain lightning to all but the maximized chain lightning’s primary target. At lower levels, Empower Spell is significantly better. An empowered magic missile deals the same average damage as a maximized magic missile, but consumes a third-level spell slot rather than a fourth-level spell slot.
Maximize Spell’s primary use is stacking with Empower Spell to make optimal use of a few select spells. A maximized and empowered Scorching Ray, for instance, does 93 points of damage. Against foes with high Fortitude saves, that’s a lot more damage than an empowered Disintegrate — and one level lower. Similarly, a maximized and empowered Ray of Enfeeblement will give a penalty of 15 points to your opponents’ Strength — enough to give your average troll a serious Strength penalty, or possibly reduce an enemy spellcaster to Strength 1 and take him out of the picture with a single no-save spell. Maximize Spell works well with Empower Spell but if you have to choose between them, pick Empower Spell.
Editor (Sorcerers): A false economy, I fear. While many 'blasters' drool over this one, it's actually not as useful as it may appear to be. It is cast as a spell three levels higher. So let us once again use that staple, the Fireball. A Maximized Fireball deals a guaranteed 60 damage (10d6) as a 6th level spell. Let us browse the list of 6th level spells, shall we? We have Disintegrate, but that's not really a fair comparison, now is it? Ahh, here we go, Evocation has two different 'blasters' at 6th: Chain Lightning and Freezing Sphere. Now then, of the two, Freezing Sphere is the most similar, so let us use it by way of comparison. This particularly little nuke deals 15d6 (15d8 vs water elementals and the like, but those are so rare, let's just ignore that, shall we). Now then, the law of averages and bell curves indicates that this spell will average out to somewhere between 45 and 60 damage. So, not a whole lot of difference in damage output, but Freezing Sphere also lets you freeze water, making it possible to create walkways across otherwise impassible water sources, trap monsters who are currently in the water, and in general has a lot more utility use than Fireball does. Right, let's look at Chain Lightning briefly, shall we? First off, it's damage is capped at 20d6, which means it will, on average, actually do MORE damage than the Maximised Fireball toward the end of your career, PLUS it arcs to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level, each one doing half damage. That's a lot better than the Maximized Fireball to me.
Recommended Spells: Scorching Ray, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Enervation, Cone of Cold, Chain Lightning
Rod: This rod fills the same function as a rod of empower but is more expensive and usually more effective. You get what you pay for, or what you can find and afford. Once you find it, use it judiciously, and revel in your newfound power. 14,000 gp (lesser), 54,000 gp (normal), 121,500 gp (greater).

The spell section is far from complete, but the spells it does include each have comments and editorials on suggested uses and why.

Finally, you SHOULD think about your future classes, because the stats you spend NOW will determine what classes you can take later.

I should point out there is not one Character Build anywhere in my handbooks. There is no, "YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO THIS." Other people told you what to change and what to change it to. I am TRYING to teach you WHY you should change and let you make your own choices.

I give advice. I give opinions, both mine and the opinions of every other handbook on the internet because I went out and looted them all. Including the other handbooks that were listed before. I instruct. I teach. I don't hold anyone's hand, you don't learn anything that way. (that's one of the 21 Noob traps, BTW)

But hey, you just wanna jump into the deep end of the pool and sink or swin on your own, go right ahead. See if I care. Only been doing this what? 28 years? I Inked my own dice. I walked up hill (both ways) in the dead of winter to find a place to game.

Now get off my porch you whippersnapper, or I'll shake my cane at you again!

Talya
2013-11-01, 11:39 PM
I've still never played a wizard, ever. I've never wanted to deal with the complexity.

You're doing it on your first character. Good show.

Red Fel
2013-11-01, 11:59 PM
I agree with many of the above posters.

I explicitly avoid playing primary casters most of the time, specifically due to the complexity of spell libraries and spell-related feats. The sheer magnitude of stuff to know and avoid is mindboggling.

And here you are, taking one of the most complex classes of all, let alone one of the most complex spellcasting classes. I would take off my hat to you, but it's a soulmeld and doesn't actually remove from my head unless I unshape it.

The Cap'n is not trying to get you to optimize your character. Frankly, I think optimizing your first is a mistake that detracts from the joy, mystery, and novelty of the game. What he's trying to do is get you to read a list of pointers and tips that will keep you from wasting opportunities.

There's optimizing, and then there's just trying not to mess up. You don't need to do the former, but you really should do the latter.

As I've mentioned, I don't play casters, so I don't have all that much to add. However, while I can't help you with your build, I can help you with some resources. Consider looking into Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) to see what items you should try to keep on your person at a given time. The List of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) is also very valuable. With regard to the latter, if your DM pays attention to encumbrance, you should particularly pay attention to the section labeled "(Extradimensional) storage space", because as an Elf Wizard, you have an encumbrance limit of roughly jack squat.

Happy trails.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-02, 10:02 AM
Dude.

What I gave you is the BASICS.

the first link is to the NOOB handbook. Since you already chose a wizard, just skip down to the section called 21 traps for noobs.

If you are going to play a wizard, you need to know how the magic system works. My handbook explains the rule system all in one place, not spread out over 4 books. It includes time tested advice and comments.

The metamagic section has Comments and editorials that explain EACH metamagic feat and how they interact with each other and various spells including statistics and commentary.

If you only want to use core stuff, FINE, each entry is individually listed by source. Just look at the ones that say "PHB" and ignore the others. The advice on how to use Maximize is the same no matter what other books you are using. Here's an example:

MAXIMIZE SPELL ENTRY IN THE SPELLBOOK

Editor: Maximize Spell is Empower Spell’s more expensive but less useful cousin. It can be used to gain a slight increase in damage compared to Empower Spell with high-level damage spells. For example, the most instant area effect damage you can get out of a 6th-level slot is 60 points with a maximized fireball. In the 9th-level slot, however, an empowered delayed blast fireball deals more damage than a maximized chain lightning to all but the maximized chain lightning’s primary target. At lower levels, Empower Spell is significantly better. An empowered magic missile deals the same average damage as a maximized magic missile, but consumes a third-level spell slot rather than a fourth-level spell slot.
Maximize Spell’s primary use is stacking with Empower Spell to make optimal use of a few select spells. A maximized and empowered Scorching Ray, for instance, does 93 points of damage. Against foes with high Fortitude saves, that’s a lot more damage than an empowered Disintegrate — and one level lower. Similarly, a maximized and empowered Ray of Enfeeblement will give a penalty of 15 points to your opponents’ Strength — enough to give your average troll a serious Strength penalty, or possibly reduce an enemy spellcaster to Strength 1 and take him out of the picture with a single no-save spell. Maximize Spell works well with Empower Spell but if you have to choose between them, pick Empower Spell.
Editor (Sorcerers): A false economy, I fear. While many 'blasters' drool over this one, it's actually not as useful as it may appear to be. It is cast as a spell three levels higher. So let us once again use that staple, the Fireball. A Maximized Fireball deals a guaranteed 60 damage (10d6) as a 6th level spell. Let us browse the list of 6th level spells, shall we? We have Disintegrate, but that's not really a fair comparison, now is it? Ahh, here we go, Evocation has two different 'blasters' at 6th: Chain Lightning and Freezing Sphere. Now then, of the two, Freezing Sphere is the most similar, so let us use it by way of comparison. This particularly little nuke deals 15d6 (15d8 vs water elementals and the like, but those are so rare, let's just ignore that, shall we). Now then, the law of averages and bell curves indicates that this spell will average out to somewhere between 45 and 60 damage. So, not a whole lot of difference in damage output, but Freezing Sphere also lets you freeze water, making it possible to create walkways across otherwise impassible water sources, trap monsters who are currently in the water, and in general has a lot more utility use than Fireball does. Right, let's look at Chain Lightning briefly, shall we? First off, it's damage is capped at 20d6, which means it will, on average, actually do MORE damage than the Maximised Fireball toward the end of your career, PLUS it arcs to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level, each one doing half damage. That's a lot better than the Maximized Fireball to me.
Recommended Spells: Scorching Ray, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Enervation, Cone of Cold, Chain Lightning
Rod: This rod fills the same function as a rod of empower but is more expensive and usually more effective. You get what you pay for, or what you can find and afford. Once you find it, use it judiciously, and revel in your newfound power. 14,000 gp (lesser), 54,000 gp (normal), 121,500 gp (greater).

The spell section is far from complete, but the spells it does include each have comments and editorials on suggested uses and why.

Finally, you SHOULD think about your future classes, because the stats you spend NOW will determine what classes you can take later.

I should point out there is not one Character Build anywhere in my handbooks. There is no, "YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO THIS." Other people told you what to change and what to change it to. I am TRYING to teach you WHY you should change and let you make your own choices.

I give advice. I give opinions, both mine and the opinions of every other handbook on the internet because I went out and looted them all. Including the other handbooks that were listed before. I instruct. I teach. I don't hold anyone's hand, you don't learn anything that way. (that's one of the 21 Noob traps, BTW)

But hey, you just wanna jump into the deep end of the pool and sink or swin on your own, go right ahead. See if I care. Only been doing this what? 28 years? I Inked my own dice. I walked up hill (both ways) in the dead of winter to find a place to game.

Now get off my porch you whippersnapper, or I'll shake my cane at you again!

Settle down. I didn't want to offend you, and it's not like im trying to make some sort of philosophical statement that core is the one true god. Its just the fact that thats the only book I have right now. I'm sure your advice is great, i've only just skimmed it right now as i'm kind of busy. This is my first game of it ever, so I don't really mind at all if I die because I didn't build my character around a prestige class, or I lacked a spell that would have just been perfect for this scenario. I'm sorry if I upset you, but the fact the DM might panic that i'm using that stuff, tells me I should be suspicious. Its not like I want to get kicked out and have to spend forever finding a new one.

He's only trying to help.

You have chosen one of the most complicated, and potentially powerful classes in the whole game. Even using core only material.

A question for you: What are the rest of your party going to play as? This can alter your choice in spells and feats significantly. If you have a Barbarian, a Fighter and a Paladin in your party then the spell Enlarge Person will definitely see more use than if you were adventuring with 2 Rogues and a Sorcerer. On that note, if there are other primary spell casters in the group you may want to coordinate with them and see what type of character they are planning on building so there is less overlap between you. Even Divine classes like the Druid and Cleric can have a lot of overlap with the Wizard as far as role is concerned.

What I know so far that'll be in the party is a fighter, and a rouge. There'll probley be more, but I don't know. I presume once we finish setting up we might get one or two more people, but I don't know.

I agree with many of the above posters.

I explicitly avoid playing primary casters most of the time, specifically due to the complexity of spell libraries and spell-related feats. The sheer magnitude of stuff to know and avoid is mindboggling.

And here you are, taking one of the most complex classes of all, let alone one of the most complex spellcasting classes. I would take off my hat to you, but it's a soulmeld and doesn't actually remove from my head unless I unshape it.

The Cap'n is not trying to get you to optimize your character. Frankly, I think optimizing your first is a mistake that detracts from the joy, mystery, and novelty of the game. What he's trying to do is get you to read a list of pointers and tips that will keep you from wasting opportunities.

There's optimizing, and then there's just trying not to mess up. You don't need to do the former, but you really should do the latter.

As I've mentioned, I don't play casters, so I don't have all that much to add. However, while I can't help you with your build, I can help you with some resources. Consider looking into Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) to see what items you should try to keep on your person at a given time. The List of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) is also very valuable. With regard to the latter, if your DM pays attention to encumbrance, you should particularly pay attention to the section labeled "(Extradimensional) storage space", because as an Elf Wizard, you have an encumbrance limit of roughly jack squat.

Happy trails.

I mostly picked wizard because we already have a fighter and a rouge, and possibly a cleric. I would've gone to something like barbarian, or a second fighter, but considering we're all mostly new to the game and'll probably die, I felt like I would just be a clone of another character without any chance to differentiate using prestige classes.

ericp65
2013-11-02, 02:47 PM
Is the Fighter wearing the rouge, or is your Wizard going to wear it? Or do you mean that there's also a Rogue in your party? :smallwink: Those three would almost make a great team by themselves, but it makes for less work on the DM's part if you have a party of four, as that's standard (compare to some earlier editions of the game, when a party of eight was standard). Hopefully, your party will also include a divine spellcaster.

Don't worry, once you've got your character shaped up and in play, you'll quickly gain a sense of how everything works together. You might feel underpowered at first, but challenge your own creativity, and discuss things here and with other players/DMs.

Random thought: as an Elf (if you're sticking with that wonderful race), your character needs only four hours of rest in a day in order to clear his mind to prepare spells, so use that to your advantage. A Wizard will be very interested in acquiring as many spells to add to the spellbook as possible, to widen the options for spell selections each day.

Beige Dragon
2013-11-02, 02:53 PM
Is the Fighter wearing the rouge, or is your Wizard going to wear it? Or do you mean that there's also a Rogue in your party? :smallwink: Those three would almost make a great team by themselves, but it makes for less work on the DM's part if you have a party of four, as that's standard (compare to some earlier editions of the game, when a party of eight was standard). Hopefully, your party will also include a divine spellcaster.

Don't worry, once you've got your character shaped up and in play, you'll quickly gain a sense of how everything works together. You might feel underpowered at first, but challenge your own creativity, and discuss things here and with other players/DMs.

Random thought: as an Elf (if you're sticking with that wonderful race), your character needs only four hours of rest in a day in order to clear his mind to prepare spells, so use that to your advantage. A Wizard will be very interested in acquiring as many spells to add to the spellbook as possible, to widen the options for spell selections each day.

Well, I was reading the handbook, and it says that even though some races don't require 8 hours of rest, you still need 8 hours of rest to recover spells. So, my elf has to sit around for another 4 hours after he finishes trancing.