PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the Kingdom

Azreal
2013-11-01, 12:27 AM
I really wanna run a campaign with the setting of "Keys to the Kingdom" by Garth Nix, basing it on the series as well, but I dunno the best way to go about it or even system. I don't plan to make it a solo thing either, a small party of 5 most likely.
I also want a good way to set up consequences for using the Keys when they acquire them, but not severe enough they won't use the Keys either.

The following link for people unfamiliar with the series
http://keystothekingdom.wikia.com/wiki/The_Keys_to_the_Kingdom_Wiki

Geostationary
2013-11-05, 01:11 AM
Hmm. I've thought a bit on this, and I'd recommend Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, but if you didn't back the kickstarter you can't really get a legit copy until the book is actually released.

In a similar vein, you may be able to use Nobilis with decreased character points at character creation, but I'm not sure it'll play the way you want.

You'd probably be able to adapt FATE to this end, but I'm not familiar enough with FATE core at the moment to be of much help- but I'd certainly recommend checking it out, as what I do know suggests that it could work well.

Do you have any personal preferences or playstyles you're looking for beyond 'like the books'? What systems are you familiar with, and is learning a new one any problem?

Azreal
2013-11-05, 10:52 AM
I'm familiar with WoD and d20 systems mostly. But I'm completely open to learning new systems.

I want them to be humans caught up in something bigger then themselves, story wise they need to be unwilling to stay in the house so using the Keys is a danger for them. Mechanically they would be armed with only skills and wit, any mystical abilities would come from the Keys but I don't want them just abusing them so use of them should corrupt them.

I don't plan to have it play out exactly the the story either. With a small party they will try stuff that Arthur wouldn't.

RochtheCrusher
2013-11-05, 12:37 PM
Instead of dice rolls, the horror game Dread uses a Jenga tower... based on how well your character can do certain things, they pull one or more blocks from the tower to accomplish an action. Refusing to attempt the pulls required means you fail in the action in a mundane way. Knocking over the tower while pulling removes your character from the story. Usually through death.

Intentionally toppling the tower kills you, but you get 15 seconds of in-game awesome before you go (so you die, but you hold the zombies at bay so your friends can escape).

The system is brilliant for tension.

Perhaps you could use this Jenga mechanic for the Keys, making each power cost between one and five pulls, depending on power. Upon toppling the tower, your character steals the affected Key used from the party, becomes a (possibly evil) NPC Steward, and bonds with the house to such a degree that they can never leave?

Azreal
2013-11-05, 03:07 PM
I guess corruption is a bad word. Use of the keys slowly turns humans into a Denizen.

The Denizens are the nearly immortal inhabitants of the house. They are also kind of servants. They lack a desire to be anything other then what they are created to do. They also can't live outside of the house. (Which is like 7 worlds basically.)

So they would see changes in themselves after some use of keys. They would become more attractive, stronger, and more resistant. However in the same breath they would also be losing their life and any chance of life after saving the House.

I like the jenga idea but it needs a little tweaking to suit how its working.

WeLoveFireballs
2013-11-05, 06:45 PM
That Jenga idea is brilliant, personally I'd use that for lighthearted games, like kobalds ate my baby.

RochtheCrusher
2013-11-05, 07:41 PM
Well, Dread can be found wherever Indy RPGs are sold, for about 25 bucks. It's definitely worth the money.

Jenga can be found at Walmart for like, 6 bucks.

Jenrock
2013-11-05, 10:07 PM
Mechanically they would be armed with only skills and wit, any mystical abilities would come from the Keys but I don't want them just abusing them so use of them should corrupt them.

Fantasy Flight's Grimm d20 is a perfect fit for this. It even features young protagonists. In lieu of classes, it uses Breakfast Club-esque "archetypes," like bully, outcast, popular kid. What little "magic" there is comes from imagination points, which can either be taken out or retooled as needed (though taking it out would hurt some classes). It is based on D&D, but the skills are retooled.

Failing that, d20 Modern suits your needs fairly well.

Azreal
2013-11-05, 11:32 PM
Fantasy Flight's Grimm d20 is a perfect fit for this. It even features young protagonists. In lieu of classes, it uses Breakfast Club-esque "archetypes," like bully, outcast, popular kid. What little "magic" there is comes from imagination points, which can either be taken out or retooled as needed (though taking it out would hurt some classes). It is based on D&D, but the skills are retooled..

Looking into Grimm d20 and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I can easy retool the Keys to work like the Wands do and running out of Imagination is very much like a Denizen since they are kind of well simple (for the most part, there are exceptions) It also puts a resource value on Key powers so they don't just use them in every situation. Plus this wasn't meant to be a drawn out campaign only a 7 parter so even that flaw of Grimm works for me.