PDA

View Full Version : Casting Ability Score Change

Pyromancer999
2013-11-01, 10:40 AM
How do you switch a class's spellcasting ability score to another ability score?

I'm wondering because I'm trying to create a character in a game where for one of his classes, I would like to change the spellcasting ability score from Wisdom to Charisma.

The DM does not accept 3rd party supplements or homebrew, but does accept official WoTC material.

Kevka Palazzo
2013-11-01, 10:43 AM
How do you switch a class's spellcasting ability score to another ability score?

I'm wondering because I'm trying to create a character in a game where for one of his classes, I would like to change the spellcasting ability score from Wisdom to Charisma.

The DM does not accept 3rd party supplements or homebrew, but does accept official WoTC material.

I don't know if that's a thing anybody can do, but the Favored Soul, from Complete Divine casts from Charisma instead of Wisdom.

FireGriver
2013-11-01, 10:52 AM
Geomancer could, but is not that good of a class. It is found in the Complete Divine.

Pyromancer999
2013-11-01, 10:54 AM
The problem is that I'm looking to change it for a specific class, the class in question being Ur-Priest. I'm going for a 20-level build(and yes, the campaign has a strong possibility of reaching level 20) of Dread Necromancer 8/Ur-Priest 10/ X 2. Normally I wouldn't optimize this much, but half the party is munchkins(group of 6), and they've exhausted the DM while trying to create as OP of a character as possible, to the point where the DM has simply given up on trying to keep a reasonable level of power and expects us all to be mid-to-high levels of OP. :smallsigh:

So, is there no way to change Ur-Priest's casting ability score from Wisdom to Charisma?

Rebel7284
2013-11-01, 10:56 AM
Dynamic priest feat.

Edit: also, dread necro 8/Ur Priest 2 qualifies for Geomancer perfectly well. :)

Red Fel
2013-11-01, 10:58 AM
Well, looking through the X Stat to Y Bonus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732), I would have to say... I don't see how.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-11-01, 11:27 AM
The closest thing you'll find is from a dragonlance book.

The feat Dynamic Priest, would let you switch your key ability score from wisdom to charisma but only for bonus spells and determining the maximum spell level you can cast.
So unless your a spirit shaman or something..

Cog
2013-11-01, 12:44 PM
Well, looking through the X Stat to Y Bonus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732), I would have to say... I don't see how.
Considering that 'casting stat' isn't a bonus, it wouldn't be on that list anyway.

As mentioned, Geomancer would do it for DCs but not for bonus spells. It's a little less rough since you already have arcane and divine. The Illumian race3 can switch bonus spells to Dex or Str, if you're concerned about that.

Red Fel
2013-11-01, 12:50 PM
Considering that 'casting stat' isn't a bonus, it wouldn't be on that list anyway.

As mentioned, Geomancer would do it for DCs but not for bonus spells. It's a little less rough since you already have arcane and divine. The Illumian race3 can switch bonus spells to Dex or Str, if you're concerned about that.

Actually, there are methods on that list. For example, the list offers two Sorcerer Bloodlines from Ultimate Magic that replace Cha with either Int or Wis as your casting stat.

So, it can technically be done. But not via Ur-Priest, and not with conventional methods.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 01:07 PM
If your DM isn't deathly allergic to 3rd party there is the feat lost tradition from bastards and bloodlines

Edit: nevermind, dm is deathly allergic to 3rd party, teach me to answer too fast.

jedipilot24
2013-11-01, 01:17 PM
Dragonlance Legends of the Twins has Dynamic Priest, which makes Charisma the casting stat, and Academic Priest, which makes Intelligence the casting stat; but for both feats it's only bonus spells per day and maximum spell-level; Spell DC's are specifically excluded by these feats.
So Academic Priest makes Archivist SAD while Dynamic Priest does the same for Spirit Shaman but that's about it.

Rebel7284
2013-11-01, 01:21 PM
This is a slight derail, but I am curious, what percentage of people respond to the OP on a short thread without reading all other responses?

I typically never do, but here I see dynamic priest being mentioned 3 times all on the very first page...

Devronq
2013-11-01, 01:25 PM
This is a slight derail, but I am curious, what percentage of people respond to the OP on a short thread without reading all other responses?

I typically never do, but here I see dynamic priest being mentioned 3 times all on the very first page...

Me personally I decide my answer and then skim to look for it I was going to say the feat from bastards and bloodlines and I see someone already mentioned it so ya :p

Pyromancer999
2013-11-01, 08:52 PM
Think Geomancer would probably work best, after looking at it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Lyndworm
2013-11-01, 11:21 PM
Keep in mind that Geomancer actually doesn't apply to bonus spells by RAW. Spell Versatility only kicks in when you cast a spell as opposed to when you prepare a spell. Dragonlance stuff is in a weird place regarding 3rd party, but Dynamic Priest (as suggested by many others) would get you a few extra spells per day.