PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on 3rd party psionic PRC

Elderand
2013-11-01, 01:21 PM
So I was going through the rule conversion "dark sun 3" found on athas.org and I cam accross the psiologist.

I wanted to know what the playground think of this PRC.

For info with 10 level in this PRC you get

*+5 comp bonus on concentration, Knowledge psionic and psycraft check
*spend 3 pp more on a power than ML allow
*metapsionic PP cost reduced by 2
*Quicken power for free 2/day
*power from a discipline of you choice can be manifeted at 2 ml higher than normal 1/day (must be psion discipline if entered with psion, doesn't stack with wild surge)
*1/day power from chosen discipline is automaticly maximised and empowered for free

Flickerdart
2013-11-01, 01:22 PM
Effective breaking of the ML cap by 5 for metapsionics? That's pretty damn amazing.

Anxe
2013-11-01, 01:27 PM
Does it have 10/10 manifester power progression?

Elderand
2013-11-01, 01:28 PM
Does it have 10/10 manifester power progression?

It does indeed

lsfreak
2013-11-01, 01:46 PM
Then at that point, it's probably the psionic version of what incantatrix is for arcane and planar shepherd is for druids. That is, so good it should be banned unless the player's purposefully under-utilizing it.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 01:52 PM
I don't know, the equivalent of 5 pp more on a metapsionic power is good but I don't think it's on the same level as incantatrix shenanigans.

Eldaran
2013-11-01, 01:56 PM
The class is definitely designed to be the Incantrix for Psionics. Meaning, if you're cool with that level of absurb power it's great, but it's definitely far far more powerful than any other Psionic PRC.

5pp is basically like getting a power 3 levels higher, it means you're getting epic level power equivalents at level 16, and it stacks with all the other ML boosting stuff like overchannel.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 02:46 PM
so the conscencus is that the class is extremely good and possibly better than any other psionic prc.

Psyren
2013-11-01, 04:42 PM
so the conscencus is that the class is extremely good and possibly better than any other psionic prc.

Err... it's "powerful." That doesn't necessarily make it good. The best PrCs have a meaningful drawback/tradeoff of some kind, even if its one the player doesn't think will come up.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 04:46 PM
Err... it's "powerful." That doesn't necessarily make it good. The best PrCs have a meaningful drawback/tradeoff of some kind, even if its one the player doesn't think will come up.

I meant good in the powerful sense.

Big Fau
2013-11-01, 04:50 PM
Actually it looks more like a Recaster translation than an Incanatrix one, especially seeing as it lacks the ability to apply metapsionics to powers manifested by your allies.

The fact that it's twice as long threw me off for a second.

Mithril Leaf
2013-11-02, 01:25 AM

Assuming this is the case, which is the best psionic PrC in your opinion?

Ansem
2013-11-02, 06:24 AM
In which book of the Dark Suns setting is this?

Elderand
2013-11-02, 08:21 AM
Dark sun 3 from athas.org in the product section