PDA

View Full Version : Paizo's release schedule

Boci
2013-11-01, 04:05 PM
"Isn't Pathfinder great? It's like 3.5, only its still having getting produced" is a sentiment I've heard a couple of times on this forum, and I could see why, until I sat down and thought about it. The last PF base class I heard about was the alchemist, and that was over a year ago. Since then there has been the decentish but nothing special Advanced Races Guide and recently this mythic thing. I'm just wondering what Paizo's plans are for PF. Are they going to release any more base classes in their supplement materials? Its not necessarily a problem if they won't, they have a fair roster of them, and enough archetypes and prestige classes to keep things interesting. I'm just curious.

IronFist
2013-11-01, 04:14 PM
Paizo releases material every month in the form of adventures. This keeps the system alive, because it is played. They release one bestiary a year, IIRC, plus Golarion stuff.

They have a classes book coming, though.

Most of Paizo's material is more related to adventures and actually playing the game than building characters, though. That's probably the reason for both your confusion and Paizo's success.

Keneth
2013-11-01, 04:21 PM
http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lf8m?Advanced-Class-Guide

You mean like this? Yeah, I think they've got it covered. :smalltongue:

They release several splat books each month. Some of the content is really good, and some of it is weak, but that's to be expected. Besides, I rarely find a concept that I couldn't realize with the current set of classes. Adding new classes generally makes for a lot of redundancy.

Boci
2013-11-01, 04:33 PM
Okay so they release stuff every month, but most of the time its adventure modules or world related stuff, with roughly 1 class book and bestiary every year? That's makes sense, especially with what I've heard about Pathfinder Society. Do they release spinets in these adventure model/setting books? New feats, archetypes, weapons? I think Jade Empire had a couple.

Psyren
2013-11-01, 04:44 PM
Err, Alchemist was like, 3 years ago dude. There've been like, 4 more base classes, over a dozen PrCs and god knows how many archetypes since then.

Most of Paizo's material is more related to adventures and actually playing the game than building characters, though. That's probably the reason for both your confusion and Paizo's success.

Also that. They make as much money from the subscriptions/adventure paths/PFS/accessories/spinoff material (e.g. Pathfinder Munchkin, which came out about a week ago) as they do actual splats.

Boci
2013-11-01, 04:46 PM
Err, Alchemist was like, 3 years ago dude. There've been like, 4 more base classes

Which ones? The magus? I was pretty sure that came before, and I do not remember any new class being discussed after that.

Psyren
2013-11-01, 04:46 PM
Which ones? The magus? I was pretty sure that came before, and I do not remember any new class being discussed after that.

Alchemist = APG
Magus = UM

Magus came after.

(The other three: Ninja, Samurai, Gunslinger)

Boci
2013-11-01, 04:50 PM
Alchemist = APG
Magus = UM

Magus came after.

(The other three: Ninja, Samurai, Gunslinger)

Okay, that was still 2 years ago. And besides, the release date of base classes blurring together doesn't exactly undermine my point that it has been a while. Glad to hear a new batch is on its way.

Psyren
2013-11-01, 04:54 PM
Okay, that was still 2 years ago.

No, 3 years ago. APG came out in August 2010.

And besides, the release date of base classes blurring together doesn't exactly undermine my point that it has been a while.

A while since what? Mythic Adventures, which came out 2 months ago?

Boci
2013-11-01, 05:00 PM
No, 3 years ago. APG came out in August 2010.

I was referring to Ultimate Combat.

A while since what? Mythic Adventures, which came out 2 months ago?

Since a book came out with new base classes in it. I was aware of Mythic Adventures, that was the "mythic thing", but it seemed to be more of an alternative way of playing the game rather than new options for the default.

Psyren
2013-11-01, 05:03 PM
The only "default" is core. Everything else is optional by definition. So Mythic is no different.

Regardless, hopefully your misconception has been addressed to your satisfaction.

Keneth
2013-11-01, 05:05 PM
Adventure paths generally include new traits, feats, items, and monsters. Some of them also include more extensive rules, like the Kingmaker AP which had rules for handling a kingdom and mass combat (upgraded in Ultimate Campaign).

But I wasn't counting Adventure Paths and Modules among the splat books. They release several actual splats in the Companion, Campaign Setting, and RPG categories each month. Sure, there's a lot of Golarion-based material in the former two, but they also include a great deal of new rules.

And besides, as mentioned earlier, there aren't a lot of original ideas that could really be made into new classes. The ACG is gonna have a lot of questionable content (like we really need a druid/ranger combo), but even existing content already has a bunch of redundancy that it would be better off without (gunslinger is a base class why exactly?).

Boci
2013-11-01, 05:06 PM
The only "default" is core. Everything else is optional by definition. So Mythic is no different.

Can I play a Mythic Adventure character in a game with other non-MA characters as smoothly as a core character can in a game with splat options?

Regardless, hopefully your misconception has been addressed to your satisfaction.

What misconception? I noted it had been a long time since new base classes were released, ask why, was told why (they focus more on adventure modules and setting books) and that a book with new base classes is on its way.

Psyren
2013-11-01, 05:09 PM
Can I play a Mythic Adventure character in a game with other non-MA characters as smoothly as a core character can in a game with splat options?

Mythic mundane with non-mythic casters? Absolutely, in fact it's a great way to get the tiers closer together.

What misconception? I noted it had been a long time since new base classes were released, ask why, was told why (they focus more on adventure modules and setting books) and that a book with new base classes is on its way.

The misconception was that they'd be churning out base classes instead of archetypes, APs, items, PrCs... clearly there was some kind of disconnect or you wouldn't have thought there was a potential issue right?

Boci
2013-11-01, 05:15 PM
Adventure paths generally include new traits, feats, items, and monsters.

Cool. Do you feel there are any particularly good ones I should check out?

But I wasn't counting Adventure Paths and Modules among the splat books. They release several actual splats in the Companion, Campaign Setting, and RPG categories each month. Sure, there's a lot of Golarion-based material in the former two, but they also include a great deal of new rules.

Can you give me some examples, or are they in the pfsrd?

And besides, as mentioned earlier, there aren't a lot of original ideas that could really be made into new classes.

Maybe, but I've seen enough homebrewed ideas to feel that there is still plenty that new base classes can add to the game.

Mythic mundane with non-mythic casters? Absolutely, in fact it's a great way to get the tiers closer together.

So not really, because you have to selectively apply Mythic to the lower tiers.

The misconception was that they'd be churning out base classes instead of archetypes, APs, items, PrCs...

No I didn't think that, you read in too much. I just thought it had been a while since I heard about a new base class in PF, wondered why, and given that Paizo is just about to release another 10, they apparently agreed with my assessment.

Psyren
2013-11-01, 05:19 PM
So not really, because you have to selectively apply Mythic to the lower tiers.

Not my fault you didn't specify which tiers.

And you say that like there's not rules for doing exactly that in the book.

No I didn't think that, you read in too much. I just thought it had been a while since I heard about a new base class in PF, wondered why, and given that Paizo is just about to release another 10, they apparently agreed with my assessment.

Glad that got cleared up for you. Next!

Boci
2013-11-01, 05:23 PM
Not responding to you anymore Psyren. Our discussion isn't exactly productive and it somehow seems to have gotten rather passive aggressive in a very short space of time.

Keneth
2013-11-01, 05:54 PM
Cool. Do you feel there are any particularly good ones I should check out?

To be honest, I haven't really played most of them, so I can't be a good judge of what's good or not. I've got like 9 APs that are just sitting there collecting dust, and from which I've only skimmed the bestiary and looked at the cool drawings. :smallbiggrin:

Can you give me some examples, or are they in the pfsrd?

The d20pfsrd team uploads all new content onto their site. A good deal of archetypes, items, spells, feats, traits, etc. comes from the Companion line and partially the Campaign Setting line. While I do love the rules-heavy tomes of the RPG line, I find I'm quite satisfied with the smaller splat books, especially when they align with my own gaming interests. A Companion book just for lycanthropes? Sweet. All about kobolds and their place on Golarion? Aww yiss. Books like that make waiting for the next large rulebook surprisingly easy.

Maybe, but I've seen enough homebrewed ideas to feel that there is still plenty that new base classes can add to the game.

I haven't. As I see it, 99% of ideas are better suited to be archetypes of existing classes. Sure, there's that 1%, like warlock or binder, or that mysterious new type of magic that no other class seems to be using (incarnum). Unfortunately, I don't see Paizo as being capable of making such ideas unique and interesting enough, not to mention that such ventures are rarely profitable, especially when implemented poorly.

Boci
2013-11-02, 07:32 AM
To be honest, I haven't really played most of them, so I can't be a good judge of what's good or not. I've got like 9 APs that are just sitting there collecting dust, and from which I've only skimmed the bestiary and looked at the cool drawings. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah the artwork is good. Although I gotta admit, I nearly burst out laughing when I saw the first monster in the Bestiary 2. "This is the first monster people will see in a book full of unique ideas. We have to make it good. I know, let's have a four legged bird head".

The d20pfsrd team uploads all new content onto their site.

Even champion and adventure modules? I couldn't find them, are they just not listed separately?

Unfortunately, I don't see Paizo as being capable of making such ideas unique and interesting enough, not to mention that such ventures are rarely profitable, especially when implemented poorly.

I guess that is a consideration. Still, releasing a single archetype that attempts something unique and interesting in an adventure module could be a safe-ish way of seeing what they are capable of.

IronFist
2013-11-02, 07:48 AM
I guess that is a consideration. Still, releasing a single archetype that attempts something unique and interesting in an adventure module could be a safe-ish way of seeing what they are capable of.

That's exactly what they do (for example, Trench Fighter). Buy one of the APs and see for yourself, really. Kingmaker seems to be the most popular.

Boci
2013-11-02, 07:53 AM
That's exactly what they do (for example, Trench Fighter).

Dexterity to damage and improving cover AC by 2 points is hardly unique and interesting. The gun mechanics were good, but they didn't really strike me as that ambitious.

IronFist
2013-11-02, 08:09 AM
Dexterity to damage and improving cover AC by 2 points is hardly unique and interesting. The gun mechanics were good, but they didn't really strike me as that ambitious.

I meant the concept... Well, you would need to read the module (or better yet, play it) to get it, I think.

Keneth
2013-11-02, 10:15 AM
Even champion and adventure modules? I couldn't find them, are they just not listed separately?

They can't upload actual adventures onto the site, since that's Paizo's intellectual property, but all the included rules fall under OGL and are uploaded regularly as they appear in the supplements. That includes all traits, feats, items, spells, archetypes, classes, monsters, and other rules, all of which are incorporated into existing sections of the site and aren't grouped together unless they require their own section (like caravan feats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/caravan-feats)). So even though you'll find emergency force sphere (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/emergency-force-sphere) on the site, which appeared in Pathfinder Companion: Cheliax, Empire of Devils, you won't find much information about Cheliax (if any), and most people don't even realize that infernal healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/infernal-healing) was originally a campaign-specific spell granted only to worshipers of Asmodeus (later reprinted in Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide).