PDA

View Full Version : Best Adventure Movie Trilogy

Pester
2007-01-06, 10:32 PM
Discuss! If you want to, that is.

Jack Squat
2007-01-06, 10:34 PM
Indiana Jones. A guy with a whip and a fedora goes around creaming Nazis. What more needs to be said?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-06, 10:37 PM
Out of those listed, you better believe Lord of the Rings!

Pester
2007-01-06, 10:44 PM
I honestly can't decide, myself. I love them all! With the possible exception of the Prequels. Bloody Attack of the Clones.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-07, 01:53 AM
Lucas was possessed by dumb-plot demons.

Back to the Future. Woot! I love Dr. Brown! The entire trilogy's awesome, and it's fun looking for parrallels between the movies. The storylines are thrillin'.

Amotis
2007-01-07, 02:05 AM
LotR. All of them were good, it's mainstream, it's well made, and it's based off Tolken. LotR.

EmeraldRose
2007-01-07, 02:11 AM
I love the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but it will always remain in the FANTASY genre. SO I voted for Indiana Jones, which tops the list of Adventure Trilogies!! You can't beat it! And there's always gotta be snakes...

Lord Herman
2007-01-07, 03:52 AM
*brain explodes*

Khantalas
2007-01-07, 03:55 AM
SW. The originals.

Some of us like to pretend that nothing in the prequels other than Natalie Portman existed. Some of us think the same for McGregor and Christopher Lee, too.

Jibar
2007-01-07, 03:57 AM
I only liked Natalie Portman in Mars Attacks. But then, she did have the whole goth/punk thing going on...

Anyway,
WHY!? WHY MAKE ME CHOOSE!?

Indie anyway...damn them Nazis and their mysteriously religious plans for world domination.

ElfLad
2007-01-07, 05:07 AM
Out of all of them, Star Wars is the best trilogy, but Indiana Jones is the best adventure trilogy, so that's what I voted for. And it hurt me to not vote for Lord of the Rings.

Dragor
2007-01-07, 05:20 AM
Indiana Jones- a classic cult character who won't ever be forgotten. He's also probably had the best games released under his name (the adventure ones, mind, not the platforming ones.)

Speaking of Dr Jones games, there's an Indiana Jones game coming out soon. Does look quite fun.

Bryn
2007-01-07, 05:27 AM
Oh damn!
I can't vote on many, since I haven't seen them. I voted for Pirates of the Carribean, then I saw LotR was on there, but it's too late to change my vote. How unfortunate. In any case, subtract one vote from PotC and put it on LotR instead.

danielf
2007-01-07, 06:31 AM
Back to the future and Lord of the rings are the best trilogy to me. I think that because they didn't make comercial extra movies, they made them as a trilogy since the beginning.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-07, 07:12 AM
Lord of the Rings, while good movies, make my inner Tolkien nerd shudder, so I went with the original Star Wars trilogy.

Sundog
2007-01-07, 07:50 AM
Indiana Jones - but I must admit, I am swayed by the best march music in the history of cinema.

Falrin
2007-01-07, 08:04 AM
Isn't the Matrix a triology? I thought they made two extra movies afther the first? no? The ones where Neo becomes way to cool (read: invincible) and the dialogues finally get some deepness and fillosophy (read: euh, did anybody really get it? anybody at all?)

Indianna jones: Fun rollercoaster. Fast, cool and catchy.
Original Star Wars Trilogy: Mother of all Sci-Fi (and one with a good story.) But lost appeal beacause nobody can stand seeing "directed by George Lucas".
LoTR: Big epos based on the mother of all fantasy. The Charge of Rohan, Massess of Orcs and Creepy Nazgul. No irritating blonde Hotshot as aragorn and no laughable special effects.
You can say what you want, but on a D&D forum I'll never vote something else.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-07, 02:02 PM
Matrix is more like one movie, and two spin-offs that make my eyes bleed.

Om
2007-01-07, 02:10 PM
Indy. Hands down. Really the template of just what an adventure movie should be.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-01-07, 03:04 PM
Well, I haven't seen many of those, but out of the ones I have, I voted LotR.

smellie_hippie
2007-01-07, 03:07 PM
Dr Jones will only be able to be on this list for a while... #4 coming out pretty soon. Isn't he in his sixties?
The whip.
The Fedora.
The cane? :smallamused:

Pester
2007-01-07, 03:16 PM
Okay, I eventually decided on Pirates. Indiana Jones loses my vote because The Temple of Doom was pretty awful. Lord of the Rings is a fantasy or War movie as much as an Adventure movie. And Back to the Future, well, it didn't have swords.

Om
2007-01-07, 05:54 PM
Indiana Jones loses my vote because The Temple of Doom was pretty awful. Ah but the Last Crusade makes up for that by being twice as good :smallwink:

zeratul
2007-01-07, 07:07 PM
pirates of the carribean hands down all though i am a hardcore LOTR fan i prefer the books

ElfLad
2007-01-07, 07:12 PM
Okay, I eventually decided on Pirates. Indiana Jones loses my vote because The Temple of Doom was pretty awful. Lord of the Rings is a fantasy or War movie as much as an Adventure movie. And Back to the Future, well, it didn't have swords.

I just remembered. Indiana shouldn't be on this list because there were only two movies. Raiders and Last Crusade. Those were the only two IJ movies. Ever.

Jack Squat
2007-01-07, 09:03 PM
I just remembered. Indiana shouldn't be on this list because there were only two movies. Raiders and Last Crusade. Those were the only two IJ movies. Ever.

I'd count Temple of Doom, if only because of this picture

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jacksquat3/valentine-card15.jpg

Lord Magtok
2007-01-07, 09:13 PM
My vote goes to Indiana Jones, because who else could fight off Nazis with only their wits, a whip, and their trusty revolver as well as him?

Vaynor
2007-01-07, 09:17 PM
I'd count Temple of Doom, if only because of this picture

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jacksquat3/valentine-card15.jpg

That's too awesome for words.

Oh crap, nevermind. :smallsmile:

ZombieRockStar
2007-01-07, 09:26 PM
If Terry Gilliam's self-proclaimed "Imagination Trilogy" (Time Bandts, Brazil, Adventures of Baron Munchausen) counts as a trilogy even though the films aren't connected, I go for that.

Otherwise, all I have to say is: "Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?"

Amotis
2007-01-07, 09:47 PM
Otherwise, all I have to say is: "Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?"

On the plane? I think that was only one movie Zombie...

ZombieRockStar
2007-01-07, 09:57 PM
Amazingly, I didn't go to see that movie. Felt no need.

Ha. No love for the prequels. No surprise there.

McDeath
2007-01-08, 07:12 AM
I have a fedora. I have to give my vote to the man who instituted the Third Law of Headwear - a fedora automatically makes you twice as dashing.

Matthew
2007-01-08, 07:42 AM
On the plane? I think that was only one movie Zombie...

I think he was referring to Doctor Jones' legendary fear of snakes.

Star Wars for me, with The Lord of the Rings and Indiana Jones as close seconds...

What is all this talk about Star Wars prequels? I doubt Lucas will ever get round to making those. If he ever was to, though, I assume they will be great.

Kyral
2007-01-08, 07:46 AM
Gah...Indie or LotR...Indie or LotR...Indie or LotR...the Ark of the Covenant vs Minas Tirith...Indie or LotR...
GAH! LOTR! There! You happy now? You've torn me to pieces over an adventure trilogy!

Ladoran
2007-01-08, 07:46 AM
Indy, hands down. So many beautiful childhood memories of those. It may have helped that I didn't see SW V and VI until quite late though. LOTR is good but not good enough.

And temple of doom is pretty bad, but when you're a little kid seeing people eating out of ape-skulls is pretty good :smallbiggrin:. But true, it isn't as good as the other two (soon three hopefully).

Lord of the Helms
2007-01-08, 08:33 AM
Definitely Indie, I actually liked all three of them. Wins for entertainment value. Back to the Future is a distant second. Then Cometh Star Wars. I've only seen part of of Pirates and let's just say it did not make me want to see part two. Star Wars Episodes I-III? Great Dio almighty, no. Lord of the Rings? The less said the better.

Skippy
2007-01-08, 09:22 AM
I went for Back to the future. I love Quantum Physics and this movie, although really incredible, gives me some things to think about concerning it.

Jack Squat
2007-01-08, 09:46 AM
I went for Back to the future. I love Quantum Physics and this movie, although really incredible, gives me some things to think about concerning it.

Two words that ruin it if your into physics...flux capacitor

Ladoran
2007-01-08, 10:16 AM
I like Back to the Future but I fail to see where quantum physics come into the picture... Or any part of physics really, as Jack said; flux capacitor?! Where does that make sense. Care to elaborate?

I'll stick to my Indy movies. Messing about with ancient artifacts, toting a whip, and wearing a fedora is much better than mucking up time-lines :smalltongue:.

EmeraldRose
2007-01-08, 11:19 AM
Indiana Jones- the original Lasher! :smallwink:

CuthroatMcGee
2007-01-08, 11:31 AM
How can Star Wars not be the only movie with votes? It boggles the mind.
It pains me to see Lord of the Rings movies treated with anything but contempt.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-08, 11:46 AM
Gah...Indie or LotR...Indie or LotR...Indie or LotR...the Ark of the Covenant vs Minas Tirith...Indie or LotR...
GAH! LOTR! There! You happy now? You've torn me to pieces over an adventure trilogy!

I had the same reaction but went with Indy the classic adventure trilogy.

Maroon
2007-01-08, 11:49 AM
How can Star Wars not be the only movie with votes? It boggles the mind.Because Indiana Jones is on the list.

EmeraldRose
2007-01-08, 12:20 PM
Because Indiana Jones is on the list.
Quoted for Truth!!

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-08, 12:29 PM
Indiana Jones. I liked the rest of the movies, but Indiana Jones was better. And funny, at times.

slipnslide
2007-01-08, 01:07 PM
I gotta go with Indiana Jones too. I loved those movies. :)

Jibar
2007-01-08, 02:04 PM
I feel like I should give some love to the prequels.
Come on, I can't be the only Star Wars fan who liked them.
Can I?
And with that revelation, I should also say I liked the Ewoks.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-08, 02:20 PM
if he'd just remember that it wasn't the special effects (although they were good) that made the original movies good but the plot and characters. Both of those were largely missing in the prequels. He (lucas) was too interterested in the fancy stuff he could do with digital effects.

Jackson on the other hand did as much with real stuff as he could. They built giant models of the castles, and sets with crazy levels of detail. The swords that they were wielding were often real hand made swords with elven, dwarven, or orcish scripts in the pommel. Detail that they knew would never be seen by the audience. But Peter knew that if the actors saw that much effort put in by the props department and sets etc... they would need to put in as much or more.

Basically peter's world felt real and gritty whereas lucas' felt plastic wrapped and fake.(prequils not the originals)

I feel like I should give some love to the prequels.
Come on, I can't be the only Star Wars fan who liked them.
Can I?
And with that revelation, I should also say I liked the Ewoks.

slipnslide
2007-01-09, 01:41 PM
i voted for indiana jones -- but when it comes to star wars i agree...the original 3 were great cuz of plot. i think lucas got too bungled down in special fx for his own good in the prequels.

Om
2007-01-09, 01:48 PM
i voted for indiana jones -- but when it comes to star wars i agree...the original 3 were great cuz of plot. i think lucas got too bungled down in special fx for his own good in the prequels.
I'd disagree. Lucas crammed far more plot into the prequels than the originals. Look at a New Hope - its the classic, and cliche, boyhood adventure yarn of the gallant prince saving the princess. Compare to the first prequel (I can't even remember its name) where you have all sorts of politics and wider story arcs floating around.

Lord Herman
2007-01-09, 02:33 PM
I second that, Om. Although Lucas did overdo it on the special effects and unnecessarily long action scenes (I'm looking at you, pod race), I think the plot of the prequels is more interesting than that of the original trilogy.

Also, Ewoks are much worse than Jar Jar. The final face-off on the death star was pretty good, but it got interrupted all the time by those damn Ewoks fighting strangely incompetent, yet supposedly elite stormtroopers.

...now excuse me while I go watch A New Hope.

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-09, 02:38 PM
<snip>

I dunno, I think I prefered the Ewoks to Jar Jar. Exept for the part were they beat the stormtroopers.

I love blowing up the little bastards on Battlefront.

beholder
2007-01-09, 02:51 PM
^ you know whats really depressing? on battlefront 2. unless you can kill an ewok every 20 seconds, the ewoks win, because they massacre the computer allies

Jibar
2007-01-09, 03:01 PM
It's insane isn't it?
They're actually deadlier with those spears and rocks than the scout troopers are with their sniper rifles.
Although, the most fun thing you can do is turn off friendly fire, and start sticking spears in your fellow ewoks.

beholder
2007-01-09, 03:04 PM
HAH. I have to do that. it always depressed me how trained soldiers in battle armor were slaughtered by small teddy bears who haven't passed stone age technology

Zonac
2007-01-09, 03:06 PM
Why do we have to choose a trilogy as our favorites? What about those solo movies out there that kick the ass off trilogies, those solo movies that made you cry from their greatness, those movies that are just so much greater, even if they are unheard of by most!?!

Oh well, my favorite trilogy is back to the future.

Edit: I remember playing as an ewok online. It was a slaughter. All those teddies blowing up, just so funny.

beholder
2007-01-09, 03:10 PM
well i suppose we could make another thread for that....

Matthew
2007-01-09, 03:47 PM
Apparently, (according to the interview on the digitally remastered Star Wars Trilogy) Lucas originally intended for the Ewoks to be Wookies, but for some odd reason decided not to. Idiot. That would have been fantastic and more believable. Wookies versus Imperial Storm Troopers and such. I look forward to the day we can all edit movies freely to our own preferences.

Now if Lucas would only get his finger out and finally produce those long awaited Star Wars prequels he's been promising for so long...

zeratul
2007-01-09, 03:52 PM
How can Star Wars not be the only movie with votes? It boggles the mind.
It pains me to see Lord of the Rings movies treated with anything but contempt.

hey dont dis LoTR the movie may suck byt the books rock. Also star wars is a saga not a trilogy. there were six SW movies.

Jack Squat
2007-01-09, 03:54 PM
hey dont dis LoTR the movie may suck byt the books rock. Also star wars is a saga not a trilogy. there were six SW movies.

Actually, Star Wars was divided up into two trilogies, the IV,V,and VI, and those that don't exist.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-01-09, 03:55 PM
What is all this talk about Star Wars prequels? I doubt Lucas will ever get round to making those. If he ever was to, though, I assume they will be great.

Um... All of them have been out for a while now...

Also, I don't understand why everyone seems to hate them. Yeah, all the other ones on the list are better, yeah, Jar Jar is an annoying little creep, yeah, they're not as good as the originals but I still found them entertaining.

Lord Herman
2007-01-09, 04:24 PM
Apparently, (according to the interview on the digitally remastered Star Wars Trilogy) Lucas originally intended for the Ewoks to be Wookies, but for some odd reason decided not to. Idiot. That would have been fantastic and more believable. Wookies versus Imperial Storm Troopers and such. I look forward to the day we can all edit movies freely to our own preferences.

Seriously? Why on earth would he choose Ewoks over Wookiees? Wookiees would have made Return of the Jedi the bestest film ever... ever!

Sailacela
2007-01-09, 05:55 PM
Dr Jones will only be able to be on this list for a while... #4 coming out pretty soon. Isn't he in his sixties?
The whip.
The Fedora.
The cane? :smallamused:

Harrison Ford is 64 years of age. Yep, the fourth installment is in the works which disqualifies Indiana Jones as the best adventure trilogy.

Jack Squat
2007-01-09, 05:57 PM
but the 4th isn't out yet, won't be till '08. It's still in the running till then.

Lord Magtok
2007-01-09, 06:02 PM
Would the Matrix count? If Star Wars and LOTR fits here, why not the Matrix?

Jack Squat
2007-01-09, 06:03 PM
Because there were only two. the last one doesn't count.

Lord Magtok
2007-01-09, 06:09 PM
Yeah, you've got a point.

I actually understood the story and plot of the third Matrix with only one viewing!

Om
2007-01-09, 06:32 PM
Seriously? Why on earth would he choose Ewoks over Wookiees? Wookiees would have made Return of the Jedi the bestest film ever... ever!
He was aiming for the Om market segment. Or some market segment at least. Ewoks are cuddlier* than large walking carpets. In marketing speak that roughly translates as "more money".

*I'm fairly sure that "cuddlier" is not a word yet my Firefox spellchecker thinks it is. Meh. Good enough for me

Pester
2007-01-09, 07:30 PM
Lucas was already rich enough to buy Mexico when the third movie was being made (let alone now). At that point, money really shouldn't influence creative decisions. Having a franchise successful enough that you'll make money no matter what you do should translate to having freedom from what corporate types think will make a lot of money so as to just focus on making the best story. Instead, it appears to have translated into thinking that if you're going to make money no matter what you do, you don't have to listen to good advice. On the other hand, it's not like the prequels were awful. (Except for all of the romance parts in Attack of the Clones.) Paul Gadzikowski of webcomic fame probably had the best argument for not hating them:

In the original advertising campaign for the first Star Wars movie, now Episode IV - A New Hope, there was a sentence of voice-over I only remember the last three words of, but it must've gone something like this: "Never before have so many put so much time and work into a movie -
"... just for fun."
People complain about what George Lucas has done to his own property since 1998 or whenever the theatrical "special editions" of IV, V, and VI were released. They complain that Christian Hayden doesn't belong next to Alec Guinness and Frank Oz in place of Sebastian Shaw, or that Greedo shouldn'ta hadn'ta oughtn'ta shot first, or just that change is bad, mmkay, because this was special to me when I was a kid, mmkay. Well, in 1978, my friends' and my most important conclusion about Star Wars was that it's best to be Luke because Luke gets to use a lightsaber and man a Millenium Falcon weapons port and pilot an X-wing. We were high school seniors.
When you watch Episode VI next, don't count the shots in the cantina - rescue the girl and destroy the Death Star. When you watch Episode I next, don't gripe at Jar-Jar and the midichlorians - win the race and avenge your master. When you go see Episode III at midnight tonight, screw the performances! Screw the plot! Screw George, for that matter, if necessary. (Note, though, it's not my argument here that he's the one who's lost the Vision.) Rescue the children! Pilot the newest superfast flying shooting pilotable thing! Maim the bad guy for life! Have fun! That's what it's for.

smellie_hippie
2007-01-09, 09:40 PM
I can respect the defense of George Lucas, as Star Wars was and is his intellectual property. I can even smile at the remakes to allow for the visual effects that were not possible when I was a child. What I cannot allow is the build up of tension leading to each of the prequal films.

I will explain, and please respect that this is my opinion, and I have no quotes to present as hard evidence... A wonderful film was conceived in the 70's, and the man who wrote this script was an absolute genious. 20th Century Fox loved the pitch, but had 2 significant problems. 1) The script was too long. A young George Lucas agreed to split the film into 2 significant components, each a trilogy. 2) The first half of the film was too dark and disheartening. Mr. Lucas agreed to put out the second half of the films first, in an effort to overcome the negative components of the first half.

*fast forward to the completion of Return of the Jedi*

Sci-fi fans across the globe are raving about being Jedi Knights... swinging plastic Light Sabres with a wild abandon... playing with action figures (and trying to make memorable poses without elbow or leg joints) and reading Star Wars novels and comics with a complete disregard for their value as a collectible. Now GL drops a bomb shell that means very little to us at the time... "Nobody can do anything with the Star Wars franchise that predates A New Hope. You can write, draw, etc anything after Jedi, but nothing before Episode IV". It is at this point in time, that raving lunatic fans realise that there was a reason the first film was called "Episode IV". This meant nothing to us until this exact moment in time....... we get a whole new trilogy!!!!!!

*fast forward about 15 years*

Lucas Enterprises releases the Star Wars remakes. Digitally remastered and whetting our appetite for the new trilogy. We wait in line at midnight for movie tickets (an unprecedented event). We overcome our issues of Greedo shooting first and love almost every minute of seeing our childhood memories on the big screen again.

*one more time, fast forward to Episode One*

Ok.... it's a movie. I see light-sabres, they talk about the force, and that little boy is going to grow up and become Darth Vader. There's still something not quite right with this whole thing.
You nixed all material that would predate Episode IV.... no books, no gaming references, no comics... nothing.
You revolutionize the entire film industry, and inspire countless spin-offs of space adventure films.
You have 30 years to find the right actors, soundtrack, visual effects and even wait for the development of computer graphics (which for the most part were not present during the initial scripting)..........
and this is what you have to show us?

I know, it's a long-winded rant, but if the hype and tension building had not grown to epic proportions, there wouldn't be people casting stones at Lucas Ranch.

Matthew
2007-01-10, 09:46 AM
Um... All of them have been out for a while now...

Also, I don't understand why everyone seems to hate them. Yeah, all the other ones on the list are better, yeah, Jar Jar is an annoying little creep, yeah, they're not as good as the originals but I still found them entertaining.

I don't know what you are talking about. I would like to comment on what Smellie said, but I can't understand the context of his post either.

Yeah, Wookies would have been great. Lucas claims he used Ewoks for creative reasons, personally I think it was likely more cost effective.

Reinforcements
2007-01-10, 12:50 PM
As a ginormous Tolkien fanatic, I have to say... I love the movies. They are my very favorite movies, and I love them. I may lament the loss of Bombadil and the addition of Liv Tyler, but I still love them. So there.

Also, what's this business about a Matrix trilogy? I'm sure there was only one. And no video games, either. Nope.

smellie_hippie
2007-01-10, 12:51 PM
I don't know what you are talking about. I would like to comment on what Smellie said, but I can't understand the context of his post either.

It's basically a long winded post that could be summed up like this. The newer trilogy would have been fine as "stand alone". Star Wars fans would not rant and rave against it, if it had not been built up as the culmination that asnwered all the questions about Luke, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, etc...

It is the incompatibility with the original trilogy that makes us hate it so much.

Sorry for the rant before... I was on a roll... :smallredface:

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-10, 12:56 PM
Because there were only two. the last one doesn't count.

What about the SW prequels? They're on the list. How can you say Matrix doesn't count and they do?

Matthew
2007-01-10, 01:03 PM
What about the SW prequels? They're on the list. How can you say Matrix doesn't count and they do?

Arggh! *snap* I see no evil, I see no evil...

Reinforcements
2007-01-10, 02:07 PM
It's basically a long winded post that could be summed up like this. The newer trilogy would have been fine as "stand alone". Star Wars fans would not rant and rave against it, if it had not been built up as the culmination that asnwered all the questions about Luke, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, etc...

It is the incompatibility with the original trilogy that makes us hate it so much.

Sorry for the rant before... I was on a roll... :smallredface:
That's true to a certain degree, but quite apart from completely ruining the Anakin character, the movies are acted badly and written worse. I can only imagine that either Lucas got really lucky with the original trilogy or something happened to make him suck between them, because he can't write or direct for crap. Looking at performances like Natalie Portman's, it's like he was telling her, "Okay, now I need you to just recite your lines in a monotone."

Jack Squat
2007-01-10, 04:21 PM

Notice their stunning lack of votes. There's a reason for that; it doesn't exist.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-01-11, 11:44 AM
If I hadn't already voted, I would vote SW Prequels just to annoy you!

smellie_hippie
2007-01-11, 12:13 PM
If I hadn't already voted, I would vote SW Prequels just to annoy you!

Thems grounds fer a hangin' ya know... :smallamused:

BruteSquad01
2007-01-12, 09:24 AM
Hey! Someone forgot the Mariachi trilogy!

Antonio Banderas!

Matthew
2007-01-12, 12:50 PM
If we're going to let Western types in, then I vote for A Fist Full of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Pester
2007-01-12, 05:41 PM
I guess there's also the Zorro trilogy. Or were there just two of them?

Lord Magtok
2007-01-12, 05:57 PM
If we're going to let Western types in, then I vote for A Fist Full of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Aw geez! I would've voted for that! I think we need a whole new thread for this.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-01-12, 06:04 PM
Yeah, for an Adventure movie, Indiana Jones wins in my book. However, it isn't to say that I don't love LoTR, it just isn't the best Adventure movie. PoTC is really fun, but not my Adventure movie choice either.

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-12, 07:32 PM
I guess there's also the Zorro trilogy. Or were there just two of them?

18, I think.

That includes all the old movies. :wink:

There's two more modern ones that you probably mean.

The Mask of Zorro, and The Legend of Zorro.

smellie_hippie
2007-01-15, 02:53 PM
Any chance of putting the Scream trilogy on there? :smallamused:

Jack Squat
2007-01-15, 03:49 PM
Wow, I just noticed that this thread is missing the Rambo trilogy... my vote is still for Indy.

Lilivati
2007-01-17, 07:45 PM
Indiana Jones.

The caliber of LotR was higher, but it is not an adventure trilogy.

That, and I've wanted to marry Indiana Jones since I was six.

Lord Xaedien
2007-01-18, 04:24 AM
Since when is LoTR an adventure movie? I guess it really doesnt have enough action for me to consider it a true adventure movie.

Before I get yelled at, I LOVE the LoTR trilogy... but fantasy epics are fantasy epics, and there is enough slow exposistion in that trilogy to choke a horse.

I even think Star Wars is a stretch as an "adventure" trilogy, but I am willing to let that one go.

Still, Indy FTW.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-18, 06:08 AM
The Dollars trilogy is the best trilogy of all time. It trumps the Original SW and Indy put together. Evin if it is just a big ripoff of Yojimbo. But then again, Star Wars was based on The Hidden Fortress by Akira Kurosawa- and The Hidden Fortress is by far a better movie. Lucas even considered having the lead actor from The Hidden Fortress as Obi-Wan. But The Hidden Fortress trumps all- apart from The Good The Bad and The Ugly, the bestest movie of all time.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-01-18, 06:31 PM
I can't vote because i cannot pick between Indiana Jones, Old Star Wars, LoTR and Pirates.....

storybookknight
2007-01-18, 06:42 PM
Having recently rewatched Last Crusade, I have to say that the blocking, pace, and script of that film are nothing short of brilliant. Compared to today's adventure films, it still holds up well to scrutiny. Last Crusade was a film with virtually constant action, and while (I think) the best of the trilogy the other films had the same morality, to an extent, of keeping the action flowing, putting the plot into dialogue that happened at the same time as dramatic tension. Too much concentration on special effects can lose that... and a fight scene without anything really hanging on it becomes lame. (I'm looking at YOU, star wars prequels.)

Haruki-kun
2007-01-19, 01:28 PM
I don't think Pirates of the Caribbean counts until we've actually watched it all, which is.......I don't know.........when they finish it?

Oh, and...... Add X-Men