PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Soul Eater class

Legendxp
2013-11-01, 05:55 PM
I'm wondering what happens if you use flurry of blows with energy drain. Does it drain a level per attack? Do you have to activate the ability as a standard action? I'm hoping for an answer by RAW and not RAI. For those of you wondering what class I'm talking about. It is the Soul Eater prestige class on page 66 of the book of vile darkness.

Snowbluff
2013-11-01, 05:58 PM
It's generally considered per attack, since it's how it worked in 3.0, and it's ambiguous otherwise.

I would as your DM.

Taveena
2013-11-01, 06:05 PM
By RAW, as the ability has no activation time listed, you have to spend a Standard action to use it.

Snowbluff
2013-11-01, 06:12 PM
Well, without anything else in the text, we don't know if it's actually a melee touch attack.

Energy Drain And Negative Levels

Some horrible creatures, especially undead monsters, possess a fearsome supernatural ability to drain levels from those they strike in combat.

That's how Energy Drain is described in the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm) Unless a vampire needs a standard action to activate his slam's ability to deal negative levels.

ddude987
2013-11-01, 07:07 PM
It says the touch of a soul eater bestows a negative level. It does not anywhere say touch attack. RAW anytime you touch a creature, it gains a negative level

Taveena
2013-11-01, 08:03 PM
It's a (Su) ability. If a Supernatural ability's activation time is not defined, it defaults to a Standard Action.

Morithias
2013-11-01, 08:05 PM
It's a (Su) ability. If a Supernatural ability's activation time is not defined, it defaults to a Standard Action.

So the Monk's Diamond Body takes a standard action to use?

Taveena
2013-11-01, 08:08 PM
... By RAW, yes, apparently. Mind, in this case it's less clear what the RAI were.

Morithias
2013-11-01, 08:16 PM
In my opinion it says it blatantly in the ability description "Your TOUCH".

Not "a touch attack", not "your natural attacks", "YOUR TOUCH".

Technically you can't even turn it off. You touch ANYTHING with bare skin, bam, negative level.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 08:20 PM
Technically you can't even turn it off. You touch ANYTHING with bare skin, bam, negative level.

Given that a soul eater is not, simply by virtue of being a soul eater, immune to energy drain, this makes "alone time" rather problematic

Morithias
2013-11-01, 08:42 PM
Given that a soul eater is not, simply by virtue of being a soul eater, immune to energy drain, this makes "alone time" rather problematic

I'd argue creatures should be immune to their own natural attacks, but seeing how the soul eater is a vile abomination, I could see it as a downside/punishment, similar to not being able to drink coffee.

Snowbluff
2013-11-01, 08:45 PM
I've always treat creatures immune to their own negative effects. AoE stuns, etc.

I'd argue creatures should be immune to their own natural attacks, but seeing how the soul eater is a vile abomination, I could see it as a downside/punishment, similar to not being able to drink coffee.

It's already a punishment. Soul Eaters are down on their luck monsters who have to make deals with demons. :smalltongue:

Legendxp
2013-11-01, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Elderand

Heh, you guys are hilarious. :smallbiggrin: Seriously, you guys here deserve an award or something.

Wait I got something better... Here are some cookies.
http://clipartmountain.com/comclip/cookie1a.gif