PDA

View Full Version : Dread Necro on a Negative Energy Plane

Chester
2013-11-01, 07:13 PM
What the title says.

Dread Necromancer. Tomb-Tainted Soul. Negative Energy Plane.

Can he survive the atmosphere?

Scumbaggery
2013-11-01, 07:16 PM
Yes he can

Chester
2013-11-01, 07:19 PM
Yes he can

Woohoo! Commence opening of portals to negative energy plane!

EDIT: Can someone please explain how the atmosphere would go about hurting everyone else?

Scumbaggery
2013-11-01, 07:20 PM
Woohoo! Commence opening of portals to negative energy plane!

So can all of his undead, as an fyi. Just know that you won't be able to see anything past 5 ft.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 07:27 PM
Actually...

Strictly speaking tomb tainted soul make it so you are healed by negative energy.

The negative energy plane is major negative dominant. Meaning it forces you to make a fort save or gain negative level.

Tomb tainted soul doesn't protect from negative level.

Ergo it doesn't protect from the negative energy plane.

Karnith
2013-11-01, 07:27 PM
It would depend on the character's defenses and where he is on the NEP.

The Negative Energy Plane is mostly a major negative-dominant plane, meaning that a creature must make a DC 25 Fortitude saving throw each round or gain a negative level. Tomb-Tainted Soul provides no special protection against negative levels, so unless the Dread Necromancer has some protection against them (such as, say, being undead, or a Death Ward spell), he is probably going to die quickly from all of those negative levels.

Some areas of the Negative Energy Plane, though, are only minor negative-dominant. These parts only ("only") deal 1d6 points of damage per round. By strict RAW, this is untyped damage and therefore a character with Tomb-Tainted Soul would have no special resistance against it. Since a Dread Necromancer has Charnel Touch (which deals more negative energy damage per round on average than minor negative-dominant planes deal damage), the character would likely be capable of surviving indefinitely by healing himself with Charnel Touch.

Taking RAI into account, i.e. that the Negative Energy Plane does in fact deal negative energy damage, then a Dread Necromancer with Tomb-Tainted Soul would have no trouble surviving in the parts of the Negative Energy Plane that are only minor negative-dominant (well, aside dealing with the undead roaming around, anyway).

Scumbaggery
2013-11-01, 07:32 PM
Taking RAI into account, i.e. that the Negative Energy Plane does in fact deal negative energy damage, then a Dread Necromancer with Tomb-Tainted Soul would have no trouble surviving in the parts of the Negative Energy Plane that are only minor negative-dominant.

This is what I was referring to. If I was a DM, this would be my ruling.

Elderand
2013-11-01, 07:42 PM
This is what I was referring to. If I was a DM, this would be my ruling.

Those are limited parts of the negative energy plane though.
Opening a portal to the plane whitout proper scouting first is liable to get you in trouble if you only relly on tomb tainted soul.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-01, 08:09 PM
Those are limited parts of the negative energy plane though.
Opening a portal to the plane whitout proper scouting first is liable to get you in trouble if you only relly on tomb tainted soul.

This is true, but this is also relevant to anyone that isn't undead/immune to negative energy effects though.

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-01, 08:54 PM
Eh soulfire armor is decently cheap and a good investment for anyone who deals with undead regularly. Use that and you should be fine on the Negative Energy Plane.

AuraTwilight
2013-11-01, 10:12 PM
For such a character, I'd just invoke it so that they experience the effects of the Positive Energy Plane and vice versa.