PDA

View Full Version : Equipping for a siege.....

Chester
2013-11-01, 09:24 PM
So, I'm a Dread Necro, party is planning to withstand a kobold siege. We're level 4. I have no idea what other creatures will be mixed with the kobolds.

I have nearly 5,000 gold to spend on magical equipment. However, I cannot purchase anything necromancer-related (no rings of desecration, wands of undead summoning, etc). I'm looking for something useful that I'll also want to have later.

Right now, I own:
Mithral chain shirt
Ring of False Alignment
Ring of Resistance +1
Anklet of Translocation

Suggestions for cool magic stuff / enhancements?

Captnq
2013-11-01, 09:47 PM
I feel like a broken record sometimes.

Check out my sig file. Look at The Weapon Handbook. Check out the Charts. Drool over the many weapons you can purchase.

Now me?

CREATE TRAP

- RACES OF THE DRAGON (3.5)
Conjuration
Level: Kobold Domain 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: One trap; see text
Duration: 12 hours
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
Basic Arrow Trap: CR 1; mechanical; proximity trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 ranged (1d6/x3, arrow); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20. Market Price: 2,000 gp.
Fusillade of Darts: CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 ranged (1d4+1, dart); multiple targets (fires 1d4 darts at each target in two adjacent 5-ft. squares); Search DC 14; Disable Device DC 20. Market Price: 500 gp.
Scything Blade Trap: CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; automatic reset; Atk +8 melee (1d8/x3); Search DC 21; Disable Device DC 20. Market Price: 1,700 gp.
Spear Trap: CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +12 ranged (1d8/x3, spear); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20. Note: 200-ft. max range, target determined randomly from those in its path. Market Price: 1,200 gp.
Material Component: A miniature bronze gear.
Editor (Support): What an interesting little spell. 1 round to cast, long range, long duration. But lets look at the spell in more detail. It says that the trap is active, ready to spring, with EVERY design feature installed. A PC could argue that an Automatic Reset for a mechanical trap is an option on all mechanical traps. Anyone could install one. Therefore, if every possible design feature is installed, then all the traps are considered automatic. To support this argument, I point to the duration of 12 hours. It does not say 12 hours, until triggered. That said, if your DM wants to be a pain about this spell, then the only trap you’ll want to make is the scything blade trap. It’s the only one that resets.
Now the way the spell reads, the 5x5 trigger square can be anywhere and the square where the trap attacks could be anywhere, as long as they are within line of effect and within range. Because it has a duration, it cannot attack anyone outside the range. The arrow, darts, or spear have a point of origin as you designate and a direction they attack. If the weapon goes beyond the range of the spell, the projectile will vanish. Don’t forget circumstance bonuses. You can make a good call for getting a bonus to hide the trap if you pick a good location.

So, if you DM rules it is self resetting (which he should) You need to buy the following potion, about 100 times.

Create Trap (metamagic: Invisible) (Scything Blade Trap) (SL1/CL1): 50 gp
Damage: 1d8 = Avg 4.5 hp (11.11 gp/hp)
You have an invisible trap you can set up anywhere. And remember, the attack is from an invisible attacker. With a few illusions, you could make someone think they are battling someone who can fight invisible without revealing himself.

Just pour them out randomly all over the place and watch the kobolds wander over them and get sliced into ribbons from invisible blades that shoot up out of the ground or wall or wherever.

Or, if you can cast it, Cast the trap (only the Fusillade of Darts comes with AoE) with sculpting and see if your DM will let you make the trigger area a 40' cone. Then anytime someone walks in front of the "trap" for the next 12 hours, EVERYONE in the 40' cone gets a face full of darts.

Yeah, not much damage, but as they come charging in as a wave, MULCH MULCH MULCH MULCH. 1d4+1 every round? set up multiple "create traps" along your defensive walls. It'll be like walking into automated machine gun nests.