PDA

View Full Version : Cleric with Sneak Attack progression

Beardbarian
2013-11-02, 06:31 AM
I'm building a character based on sneaking and magic but i need some advices

The Basis
Spontaneous Domain Cloistered Cleric with Planar Domain of Baator
He can see trough magical darkness and cast Darkness in place of Cure/Inflict Light Wounds. Add some Knowledge devotion

My idea
Cast Darkness (or the deeper version) in the first round, then stab the hell out of your enemies. You are almost a god until someone puts out a Dispel Magic.

Some advices for Sneak Attack with high caster level?
I don't know how to progress the build. Maybe with ToB stuff if possible

Waker
2013-11-02, 07:32 PM
Well, you could probably use Sacred Outlaw from Dragon 357. It stacks Cleric and Rogue for the purposes of progressing Turn/Rebuke Undead and Sneak Attack. Requires +2d6 Sneak Attack and Turn/Rebuke Undead.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-02, 07:38 PM
I believe there is also a prestige class called Shadowbane Inquisitor that you will enjoy with this build

edit: The class is found in Complete Champion, iirc
edit 2: The class is found in Complete Adventure, pg. 68 as pointed out by Nedz

Ravens_cry
2013-11-02, 08:05 PM
There is also the Divine Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9623145#post9623145) put together by none other than The Giant himself.

CyberThread
2013-11-02, 08:24 PM
am REALLY fond of the eye of lloth

nedz
2013-11-02, 08:59 PM
I believe there is also a prestige class called Shadowbane Inquisitor that you will enjoy with this build

edit: The class is found in Complete Champion, iirc
CAdv p68

Cast Darkness (or the deeper version) in the first round, then stab the hell out of your enemies. You are almost a god until someone puts out a Dispel Magic.

There are two obvious problems.

Darkness isn't very dark — more a kind of shadowy thing really.
If the target has concealment you don't get your sneak damage, so even if it works then it doesn't

Better to go trickery for Invisibility, which will work with the Eye of Lolth idea.
The trouble is though that you really need greater invisibility which no domain grants. Spell domain's Anyspell, Greater [level 6] might work, but it does seem to expect preparation.

Blindness might work better, which is in several domains, though getting a mass version is hard.

Several good type domains have spells which will do this to various evil-doers.

Fey Domain for Blinding Beauty [level 4] might work, which is a strange twist.

Piggy Knowles
2013-11-02, 09:57 PM
nedz, I believe the Baator domain lets you see through magical darkness, so concealment wouldn't be an issue here. Your first point still stands, of course.

Beardbarian
2013-11-03, 04:39 AM
Well, you could probably use Sacred Outlaw from Dragon 357. It stacks Cleric and Rogue for the purposes of progressing Turn/Rebuke Undead and Sneak Attack. Requires +2d6 Sneak Attack and Turn/Rebuke Undead.
I was arguing with a friend yesterday looking for this feat!

Better to go trickery for Invisibility, which will work with the Eye of Lolth idea.
Ok this sounds better since i tought that True Seeing wasn't able to see in magical darkness :smallconfused:

nedz, I believe the Baator domain lets you see through magical darkness, so concealment wouldn't be an issue here. Your first point still stands, of course.
Yep, that was my original plain

Ok guys, thank a Lolth :smalltongue:

Devronq
2013-11-03, 04:59 AM
I would love to say go for black flame zealot fluff wise its seems perfect you have black flame on your weapons you progress sneak attack and divine casting and a few other kool things unfortunately it skips way to many levels on casting and its sneak attack progression isn't ideal. I'd avoid it as is but even giving it full casting would probably save it.

Blueiji
2013-11-03, 05:39 AM
Remember that if you want to qualify for sacred outlaw you would normally need three levels in rogue, which translates to three lost caster levels of cleric.

A quicker way (that also conserves caster levels) would be gaining you +2d6 sneak attack from 1 level in rogue and the 1 level in sneak attack fighter.

nedz
2013-11-03, 07:28 AM
Ah, missed that.

Remember that if you want to qualify for sacred outlaw you would normally need three levels in rogue, which translates to three lost caster levels of cleric.

A quicker way (that also conserves caster levels) would be gaining you +2d6 sneak attack from 1 level in rogue and the 1 level in sneak attack fighter.

There is an even quicker route
Halfling Rogue 1st level substitution (RotW p159)
Gives you 2d6 sneak with ranged weapons only.
This may not fit your character concept though.

Beardbarian
2013-11-03, 07:40 AM
There is an even quicker route
Halfling Rogue 1st level substitution (RotW p159)
Gives you 2d6 sneak with ranged weapons only.
This may not fit your character concept though.

My character concept is a "Divine Unseen Stabber".
Also i need this to prove something to a friend

nedz
2013-11-03, 08:06 AM
My character concept is a "Divine Unseen Stabber".
Also i need this to prove something to a friend

Well the Halfling Rogue substitution level actually gives you +1d6 sneak on ranged and -1d6 sneak on melee. Now it can get you into some PrCs early, thus saving some caster levels, but it will cost you 1d6 sneak on when being stabbity. YMMV.