PDA

View Full Version : Rings, Gloves, and Gauntlets

Chester
2013-11-02, 08:26 AM
I can't find it anywhere . . . can I wear magic rings AND magic gloves / gauntlets? Or do my two ring slots count against that?

Karnith
2013-11-02, 08:31 AM
Your ring slots are completely separate from your hand slots. Wearing rings won't interfere with your gloves or gauntlets.

You can read more about magic items on the body here on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody).

Chester
2013-11-02, 08:33 AM
Your ring slots are completely separate from your hand slots. Wearing rings won't interfere with your gloves or gauntlets.

You can read more about magic items on the body here on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody).

Thank you kindly. :smallsmile:

Malak'ai
2013-11-02, 08:55 AM
I know it's completely irrelevant, but would you wear the rings under or over the gloves/gauntlets?
It's just something that crosses my mind every time I make/see characters that have both gloves/gauntlets and rings.

hamishspence
2013-11-02, 08:56 AM
Sauron at least seemed to prefer wearing his Ring over his gauntlet.

Marnath
2013-11-02, 08:58 AM

Successful adventurers probably wear them under the gauntlets, since that worked out poorly for him. :smallamused:

hamishspence
2013-11-02, 09:01 AM
That does make sense.

Chronos
2013-11-02, 09:01 AM
You can even wear all three on the same hand, so long as the gauntlet is a weapon rather than a wondrous item.

Chester
2013-11-02, 09:09 AM
Under the gloves. Foes can't see I'm wearing shiny rings.

Jeff the Green
2013-11-02, 09:09 AM
Successful adventurers probably wear them under the gauntlets, since that worked out poorly for him. :smallamused:

Except wearing the One Ring under his gauntlet wouldn't have helped, as Isildur cut off the finger that bore it. He didn't try to slip it off. [/pedant]

hamishspence
2013-11-02, 09:10 AM
You can even wear all three on the same hand, so long as the gauntlet is a weapon rather than a wondrous item.

How's that work?

Jeff the Green
2013-11-02, 09:15 AM
How's that work?

Gauntlet over glove over ring, I'd guess. They don't occupy the same slots (gauntlet's a weapon and so slotless, gloves are hand, rings are ring), so they don't suppress each other.

hamishspence
2013-11-02, 09:21 AM
Makes sense. Isn't there a rule somewhere allowing you to install a ring in the "hilt slot" of a weapon? Or is it only augment crystals that can be installed in weapons.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-02, 10:16 AM
If you want to maximizes the magic item per limb quotient, do the following.

Spiked Gauntlet with augment crystal
light shield with augment crystal, shield spikes with armor crystal.
Glove
2 rings - Both on one hand
Bracer
1 handed weapon with augment crystal.

This can be used to stack beneficial passive enhancements like eager, smoking, defending, and such.

ericp65
2013-11-02, 02:34 PM
Makes sense. Isn't there a rule somewhere allowing you to install a ring in the "hilt slot" of a weapon? Or is it only augment crystals that can be installed in weapons.

I don't recall the source, but I recently read the descriptions of one or two swords that had a ring fitted somewhere on the grip, or in that general area.

Snowbluff
2013-11-02, 02:41 PM

Ringsword, Arms and Equipment Guide, page 115. The property is worth 4kgp, and is great for pimped out Gauntlets.

Psyren
2013-11-02, 02:49 PM

This was my instant thought as well :smallsmile: Did he wear it that way in the book? Did the description given by Elrond match up with the way Isildur's battle was portrayed in the movie?

Snowbluff
2013-11-02, 03:00 PM
I'll point out that magic items tend to size themselves for the wearer. Wearing your rings on the outside of your gauntlet sounds like a bad idea, though.

Malak'ai
2013-11-02, 03:50 PM
This was my instant thought as well :smallsmile: Did he wear it that way in the book? Did the description given by Elrond match up with the way Isildur's battle was portrayed in the movie?

If I remember correctly, it's been nearly a decade since I read the series, no in depth description of what Sauron looked like is given.
And no, because Gil-Galad isn't shown facing him alongside Elendil.

Marnath
2013-11-02, 07:00 PM
Except wearing the One Ring under his gauntlet wouldn't have helped, as Isildur cut off the finger that bore it. He didn't try to slip it off. [/pedant]

Which he may have only done because it was an obvious target.

herrhauptmann
2013-11-02, 07:26 PM
Which he may have only done because it was an obvious target.

In the book it was removed after Saurons death.
The removal of the ring was teh cause of Saurons defeat only in the movie. In showing a battle between a demigod and elves and mortals capable of matching that might, some shortcuts must be made. A reddit thread on the topic. http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1ir9si/eli5_why_was_everyone_so_scared_of_sauron_if_he/

It's important to note that thigns like the rusting guantlet or glove of storing, take up the entire hand slot. You can't wear and benefit from two gloves of storing or two rusting gauntlets.

eviljav
2013-11-02, 09:44 PM
Wear them on your toes!

Joe the Rat
2013-11-02, 10:58 PM
Rings go under gauntlets and over gloves. Have you never dressed for a medieval cocktail party? :smallamused:

Seriously though, unless there's some reason that the ring needs to be visible on your hand, or needs to be in the open to work, you should cover it up. And only the most form fitting of gloves (such as those of Dexterity) would be tight enough that it would work well.

Wear them on your toes!

Genius!

Pathagaron
2013-11-02, 11:17 PM
I'll point out that magic items tend to size themselves for the wearer. Wearing your rings on the outside of your gauntlet sounds like a bad idea, though.

Unless you need to swap out your rings quickly for some reason.

Invader
2013-11-03, 11:47 AM
It'd think it'd be the same as wearing a shirt, a vest, and armor at the same time. AFAIK you can wear an enchanted vest underneath armor can't you?

Lilapop
2013-11-03, 01:45 PM
It'd think it'd be the same as wearing a shirt, a vest, and armor at the same time. AFAIK you can wear an enchanted vest underneath armor can't you?
There are two body slots for the item groups you're referring: torso is for shirts and vests (so you can't wear both), while body is for armor.
Now that I think about it, gauntlets should actually be part of your armor, so they occupy the 'body' slot together with it. Oh, and wearing at least some clothing under your gauntlets for padding makes sense as well.

Keneth
2013-11-03, 01:54 PM
Oh, and wearing at least some clothing under your gauntlets for padding makes sense as well.

If we're talking metal armor, one should really be wearing full padded armor (or at least thick clothing) beneath that and gloves under gauntlets. Even something as simple as a chain shirt will chafe otherwise. And in the case of full plate, you'd probably be wearing both chain and padding under that.

TuggyNE
2013-11-03, 06:06 PM
Now that I think about it, gauntlets should actually be part of your armor, so they occupy the 'body' slot together with it. Oh, and wearing at least some clothing under your gauntlets for padding makes sense as well.

Bracers, gauntlets, helmet, and shoes are all counted separately from armor for magic purposes, despite many suits of armor including them.

Malak'ai
2013-11-03, 06:24 PM
Bracers, gauntlets, helmet, and shoes are all counted separately from armor for magic purposes, despite many suits of armor including them.

Because most of them are easily interchangeable parts. I've never seen a suit of armour that had fixed gauntlets/helmet/boots.
Bracers would be the only thing that would be kinda iffy in a RL sense as they are normally a fixed part of the armour, connecting to the upper arm sections.

Snowbluff
2013-11-03, 06:30 PM
I think the fun part is when you are wearing enchanted spell blad ringsword (with rings) spike gauntlets, arm item (Bracers of Archers) , glove (+6 Dex), more rings, Dastana (+1 for more AC) all at one. Oh, and the Dastana have enchanted armor spikes, with wand chambers. OH! And the spike gauntlets have wand chambers too...

Story
2013-11-03, 06:43 PM
If you want to maximizes the magic item per limb quotient, do the following.

Spiked Gauntlet with augment crystal
light shield with augment crystal, shield spikes with armor crystal.
Glove
2 rings - Both on one hand
Bracer
1 handed weapon with augment crystal.

This can be used to stack beneficial passive enhancements like eager, smoking, defending, and such.

Don't forget to be an Artificer and take the Extra Ring feat.