PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Lost in variety - Which class to play?

Zerbe
2013-11-02, 09:39 AM
Hello,
Me and my friends will run a PF group , to take a break from our other P&P campaign.

I am the only one who played PF before, but back then we only played with the Core Rules.

Yesterday I got APG,ARG,UC and UM started browsing them and taking notes on what to play / how to build. But I simply can't make a decision and only have 24 hours left.

So I am asking for your help based on experiences.

My rolls are 18 , 17 , 16 , 13 , 11 , 10.
I don't like the following races elves(drows are fine),dwarfs , gnomes.
And I don't want to play a skill monkey (i usually play them and I'm tired of them) or a Paladin (because it was my last character).

Following races/classes caught my eye:

-Kitsune/Sorcerer(Fey-Enchantress)
I wanted to play a Fox or Cat girl who charms and manipulates enemies for a long time because it's just so fluff(y) ^_^

-Human/Clerics
The flexibility and variety is overwhelming and we are allowed to play evil characters
Examples:
-Gorum Battle Cleric with Destruction/Ferocity Domains
-Erastil Archer Cleric with Feather/Good Domains
-Urgathoa Necromancer Cleric Death/Something Domains

-Human/Gunslinger
Pistolero(TWF)

-A summoner because I love playing summoners

In our PF group rolEplay won't be that important , because we have a lot of it in our other game and want to relax a bit.
So we are going to play rolLplay maybe even with a mix of tabletop (if we have the builds and Encounters for it)

The other characters in the group are a Druid,Fighter,Elf"Archer" and someone who wants to become dragon disciple

I hope you that you guys can help me making my decision

Ailowynn
2013-11-02, 10:46 AM
Half-elf Summoner is pretty good--look at the Summoner favored class option for them. I would probably do that one first (partially for the fun, partially for the awesome).

The Gunslinger can unload some insane amounts of damage, but really doesn't have enough versatility out of combat. The Cleric and Sorcerer are both solid choices, though I personally would go for Cleric over Sorc, but I'm not sure which domains would be best.

Psyren
2013-11-02, 11:49 AM
Kitsune Sorcerer is a good idea, and Fey Bloodline is both thematic and fits your concept. +2 DC to compulsion spells is very powerful. True Neutral will be your best alignment for this so that Protection from X spells and auras can't block your puppeteering.

Dissonance
2013-11-02, 12:01 PM
if your "lost in variety" why don't you come up with a few different builds, and pick the one that the party is lacking the most?

out of the ones you mentioned you pretty much gave a well rounded set already.

- a kitsune/fey sorc. solid arcane caster
- gunslinger. solid mundane ranged
- human cleric. solid divine caster
- summoner. broken as hell and awesome at everything.

also you did say evil was allowed right? that means two of the funniest cleric domains are available for you to take without getting alignment books thrown at you. I'm talking about the 'Madness' domain and the 'chaos' domain.

-Madness. bestow a "boon" on your enemy for 1/2 your cleric level to either attacks, saving throws, or skill checks... then they take a penalty of the same amount to whatever YOU didn't pick!

-Chaos. make your opponent reroll ANYTHING for the next round invovling a d20. taking the lower result.

on the bad side, you have to be a cleric of lamashtu to have these legitimately. Problematic for a run of the mill adventurer, not for a rolLplay funtime evil character!

Psyren
2013-11-02, 03:13 PM
Wow, looking at it more closely I really want to play a Kitsune Sorcerer focused on enchanment now.

- +2 Cha so you can start the game with a 20 (+5)
- Favored Class bonus = +1/4 DC to enchantment spells
- +1 racial DC to enchantments
- +2 Fey bloodline to compulsions

You can start the game with a Daze DC of 19 if you take Spell Focus Enchantment as your first feat; it's pretty crazy.

Spore
2013-11-02, 07:51 PM
If you choose the mind controller dude. Keep in mind to have back-up plans for situations, where you simply cannot screw with people's minds.

E.g.:
a) undead (magic missile, scorching ray, buffs for your group)
b) constructs (shatter, buffing, summoning)
c) vermin (kill it with FIRE)

Otherwise, you'd be fine.

marcielle
2013-11-02, 11:00 PM
Solution: Catfolk/Kitsune Summoner who summons an avatar of Gorrum/Urgathoa/etc., carries a gun and takes Eldritch Heritage(Arcane) for some sorcerer spells.
All you will need is a couple of Pearls of Power to increase your spells per day and you are all set.

Metahuman1
2013-11-03, 02:56 AM
I'd go with the sorcerer or a Synthesis summoner myself.

Spore
2013-11-03, 06:54 AM
Solution: Catfolk/Kitsune Summoner who summons an avatar of Gorrum/Urgathoa/etc., carries a gun and takes Eldritch Heritage(Arcane) for some sorcerer spells.
All you will need is a couple of Pearls of Power to increase your spells per day and you are all set.

We will call him FrankenZerbe!