PDA

View Full Version : Pumping a Clawlock/Soulborn...? (3.p)

malonkey1
2013-11-02, 10:53 AM
Okay, I've currently got a Warlock 3/ CG Soulborn 3/Swordsage 1 with Eldritch Claw, and I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my claw damage by level 20. I'll probably see about binding Mauling Gauntlets later on, and If I understand the Errata for Warlocks and the Practiced Caster feat correctly, I can use it to keep my Eldritch damage up. Any other suggestions?
(Before you ask, I'm not going to drop Soulborn, because while I know that Soulborn isn't a great class, I like Incarnum, and it offers a good mite of survivability and flavor.)

My DM is allowing any WoTC or Paizo book, including Dragon Magazine.

Snowbluff
2013-11-02, 11:14 AM
... Soulborn? You say you like the Incarnum and Flavor, but soulborn has neither at level 3? Why not totemist?

Dropping Soulborn would maximize your claw damage. :smalltongue:

Anyway, if you want you can grab Beast Strike. Form your claws as a free action, then deal double your Unarmed + your EB dice in a single hit.

Psyren
2013-11-02, 11:24 AM
(Before you ask, I'm not going to drop Soulborn, because while I know that Soulborn isn't a great class, I like Incarnum, and it offers a good mite of survivability and flavor.)

Er... as Snowbluff said, Soulborn gives you neither of those things.

Mauling Gauntlets doesn't do a thing to your claws either, even if you bind it (which you can't even do yet.) Soulborn actually opens your chakras more slowly than taking the feats do...

malonkey1
2013-11-02, 12:19 PM
Er... as Snowbluff said, Soulborn gives you neither of those things.

Mauling Gauntlets doesn't do a thing to your claws either, even if you bind it (which you can't even do yet.) Soulborn actually opens your chakras more slowly than taking the feats do...

Mauling Gauntlets, when bound, increases you unarmed damage, which in turn increases Eldritch Claw damage. (Eldritch Claws deal Eldritch Blast + Unarmed Damage)

Psyren
2013-11-02, 01:06 PM
I see, I thought it just gave you claw attacks and added your EB to those.

But it's moot regardless since you need 8 levels of Soulborn to open your hands chakra. Or you can open it with the OLC feat, in which case why do you have Soulborn? Either way it is pointless to the build. At best you can justify a 1-level dip to save yourself a feat on the gauntlets themselves.

Socratov
2013-11-02, 01:12 PM
well, some obvious stuff would be taking a level of binder for naberius and then 3 levels of HFW (when available). that would both advance EB and give a bonus of 6d6 ofhellfire damage per strike...

Snowbluff
2013-11-02, 01:19 PM
well, some obvious stuff would be taking a level of binder for naberius and then 3 levels of HFW (when available). that would both advance EB and give a bonus of 6d6 ofhellfire damage per strike...

It's debatable if HFW works with Eldritch Claws. You aren't using your Eldritch Blast ability directly, but you are using it for claw damage... ask your DM.

Socratov
2013-11-02, 01:34 PM
oh, and it seems there is a FAQ about using strongheart vest, making it inelligible for mitigating the con damage

Snowbluff
2013-11-02, 02:38 PM
oh, and it seems there is a FAQ about using strongheart vest, making it inelligible for mitigating the con damage

FAQ isn't RAW, and is only serving to nerf an underpowered class. Ignore it on all levels. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2013-11-02, 02:46 PM
FAQ may not be RAW, but it's certainly more persuasive to most DMs than "but this guy on a forum said..."

I personally would not let Strongheart Vest work with hellfire or ability burn etc.

Socratov
2013-11-02, 03:11 PM
FAQ isn't RAW, and is only serving to nerf an underpowered class. Ignore it on all levels. :smalltongue:

FAQ may not be RAW, but it's certainly more persuasive to most DMs that "but this guy on a forum said..."

I personally would not let Strongheart Vest work with hellfire or ability burn etc.

well, it had something to do with the fact that the condamage you get from hellfire blast is not damage due to an attack, and thsu supposedly not reduced by strongheart vest. However, it's still the YMMV point where the DM shoudl make the call... I was just saying that it is possible that your dm had read the FAQ and thus woudl rule accordingly...