PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Advices on a Bard-Rogue-Monk and more...

Lord_Lexis
2013-11-02, 11:38 AM
Hey! I'm going on a campaign with only sneaky types... Probably something like an assassin's guild or a thief group or something. And I came up with that idea, follow me here, it's a long shot... Any tips are welcome!

Ok to pull this one off, we need some feats... The race is important too. So I was thinking to go with Human or Changeling... It can be good with a Tiefling, but the LA and the Charisma penalty are a big drawback on that build.

Now the first feat must be Diverse Background from Races of Destiny. That provides another predilection class. I have access to the Oriental Adventures where Monk are allowed to multiclass without restriction so it's good. If you don't have access to that book, your two first levels must be monk-monk, because of the multiclassing restriction. After your two first levels, you'll never go back on the monk levels. If you have the Oriental adventures, go monk-rogue-monk and at 3 level, take the Ascetic rogue feat from Complete Adventurer. I may go with the Sleeping Tiger style for my monks levels from the Unearthed Arcana, it can be really useful on that build.

Then, at level 4, I'll start the Bards levels... So I'll drop the Lawful alignment for any non-lawful and won't be able to take monk levels after that. At level 9, I'll take the Ascetic Mage feat from the Complete Adventurer to give to my AC my charisma bonus instead of my Wisdom one... So I don't need Wisdom on this build (beside of Will saves...) again, I will go on the Unearthed Arcana and take the Bard option where I trade my Bardic Knowledge and inspire useless things for an Animal companion and druidic thingy (page 58)... I think it's a really good trade.

Now for the fun part, the prestige class! After 2 or 3 levels of bard, I was thinking to go with the Unseen seer prestige class from the Complete Mage. More spells and more sneak attack... When I'll be able to cast second lvl spells, I might throw in some Lyric Thaumaturges also from the Complete Mage for better spell casting and Bardic music use... (Also, i'll check with my DM, but if Bardic music levels stack with Lyric levels, does my Animal companion levels will stack as well? Seems legit to me but the DM have always the last word)... For the other feats I can take, i'll go with the Martial Study from the Book of 9 Swords to eventually take the Martial Stance feat and gain the assassin's stance from the Shadow strike disciple and then, the Shadow Blade feat to put my Dex bonus instead of my strength to damage rolls.

Ok... I think it's a pretty complete and powerful build... If you can give me any advices or concerns it'll help. Let me know if I did anything wrong, it can just help me. Thnx! :smallsmile: