PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Heretic of the faith?

CyberThread
2013-11-02, 11:49 AM
Power of Faerun, p. 46

Heretic of the faith, lets you trade one of your domains for another one that fits your false tenets, lets you have one more alignment change then normally allowed.

Can you see some mechanical advantage to this?

Vedhin
2013-11-02, 12:05 PM
Play a Neutral Evil Cleric of Pelor, the Burning Hate. Take Sun and Evil/Fire/Destruction as your domains.

Jeff the Green
2013-11-02, 12:09 PM
It's mostly a fluff feat, even though it has mechanical effects, as it's really the only way to be a seriously heretical cleric. From a purely mechanical standpoint, you're almost certainly better off being a cleric of a cause.

Of course, in Forgotten Realms games you can't do that, so it's the only way to get certain domain combinations, like the vaunted Undeath + Planning.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-02, 01:27 PM
If you can't be a cleric of a cause, it lets you mix-and-match domains more easily, so you can pick up only the most powerful options.

It could also allow you to get into deity-specific prestige classes that would normally by incompatible with the rest of the party due to alignment issues.

Jeff the Green
2013-11-02, 04:05 PM
It could also allow you to get into deity-specific prestige classes that would normally by incompatible with the rest of the party due to alignment issues.

N.b. however that it doesn't let you bypass PrC restrictions. So you could have a CG Stormlord, but not a NG Sea Mother Whip.

Zombulian
2013-11-02, 04:08 PM
Play a Neutral Evil Cleric of Pelor, the Burning Hate. Take Sun and Evil/Fire/Destruction as your domains.

:D Genius. I was wondering how I would pull that off without simply converting Pelor to be an Evil deity.

Thurbane
2013-11-02, 11:41 PM
:D Genius. I was wondering how I would pull that off without simply converting Pelor to be an Evil deity.
Make sure he's a Hellbred so he can swing around a +1 Unholy Mace as well. :smallbiggrin: