PDA

View Full Version : How to practically optimize Minions and Redshirts?

ExtravagantEvil
2013-11-02, 12:48 PM
Greetings dear playground,
I'm working on a campaign currently, and want to give the PC's the proper "Badass from the get go" sensation, while still allowing these newer players to learn tactics, teamwork, rules, and strategic cunning.

So, I am having the players working to take down a cult in a fringe trading town.
The redshirt members in question of said cult are going to be simple, First Level Commoners, with 2 flaws: Inattentive and Pathetic, so the PC's can have an entertaining time pulling an ambush on them and seizing the day due to their ridiculously low spot checks.

However, I don't want their foes to fall constantly like a house of cards, and since they are part of a cult emphasizing death, blood rituals, murder and all of the other pleasantries of daily cultist life, they are particularly dedicated and able to perform adequately in combat, for commoners at least, and be able to work well in sequence due to the cult mentality.

So, how should I go about making these mooks particularly competent when working together, while individually, leaving little to be desired in their combat abilities.

Shield Wall seems like a good idea, and finding ways to boost their abilities to flank seems like a good idea but I am not aware of all the resources that allow those to be viable strategies.

Captnq
2013-11-02, 01:14 PM
Well, you could check out my sig, check out the weapon handbook, and outfit them with a wide selection of rather cheap, yet effective equipment.

Crossbows with underslung bayonet swords work wonders. Give them a ballista. That should put the fear of god into them. Reach weapons are nice. If they are strapped for cash, stick with flaming oil.

Caltrops. Marbles. Foot traps.

I haven't even touched on alchemy or magic.

Eonir
2013-11-02, 01:58 PM
The Commoner Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232822) details a ton of awesome level 1 commoner builds.

CombatOwl
2013-11-02, 03:56 PM
Greetings dear playground,
I'm working on a campaign currently, and want to give the PC's the proper "Badass from the get go" sensation, while still allowing these newer players to learn tactics, teamwork, rules, and strategic cunning.

So, I am having the players working to take down a cult in a fringe trading town.
The redshirt members in question of said cult are going to be simple, First Level Commoners, with 2 flaws: Inattentive and Pathetic, so the PC's can have an entertaining time pulling an ambush on them and seizing the day due to their ridiculously low spot checks.

However, I don't want their foes to fall constantly like a house of cards, and since they are part of a cult emphasizing death, blood rituals, murder and all of the other pleasantries of daily cultist life, they are particularly dedicated and able to perform adequately in combat, for commoners at least, and be able to work well in sequence due to the cult mentality.

So, how should I go about making these mooks particularly competent when working together, while individually, leaving little to be desired in their combat abilities.

Shield Wall seems like a good idea, and finding ways to boost their abilities to flank seems like a good idea but I am not aware of all the resources that allow those to be viable strategies.

Invent a feat "Spirit of the Cult!" that gives each of them an aura that provides a stack-able untyped +1 bonus to hit and saves. Make it like 20'. It gives the cultists a big boost when fighting in groups, but still lets them fall pretty easily when struck.

Tevesh
2013-11-02, 04:06 PM
Use a hybridization of the Minion Rules found in 4E.

Also, there are creatures with the "Spirit of the Cult" sort of effect. The wonderful part of D&D is while you see one monster in the Monster Manual, it does not mean the PCs see that creature at all.