PDA

View Full Version : Which Dragon am i?!?

Johnboy
2013-11-02, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, have a question for everyone. DM introduced a character into our campaign that is dragon. I havent seen her dragon form but have picked up on some things IC. I was told I can RP knowing her dragon info if i can figure it out. Apparently, if I can come up with it without my DMs help then its possible for my Wizard with Arcane knowledge to figure it out as well. Here is what I know

- Only languages she speaks are Draconic and Sphinx.
- Her breath attack seems dependent on a percentile roll. Depending on the roll she can do several different breath attacks.
- We first met her after entering some ruins and being transported either to another plane or to another time in our campaign, so possible planar dragon but not likely.

We are using 3.5 ruleset and all books are open to everyone

Ruethgar
2013-11-02, 04:46 PM
Any dragon with significant levels in dragonfire adept could roll for random breath if they wanted and their innate casting could warp time and plane shift on its own. I am not familiar with planar dragons, but chaos is a possibility that pops to mind whenever there is anything normally standard as a chance for x, y, or z option.

There are also ways to substitute the actual dragon breath shape and type, she may just like to mix it up a bit.

Johnboy
2013-11-02, 04:52 PM
Forgot to mention she is neither metallic nor chromatic. I was thinking Chaos Dragon myself. She is same level as rest of the party so around level 6-7.

Elderand
2013-11-02, 05:27 PM
Percentile on breath weapon sound like a chaos dragon to me

Malak'ai
2013-11-02, 05:32 PM
Just looking at the Draconomicon now, and it certainly does sound like a Chaos Dragon.

Crake
2013-11-02, 05:40 PM
Minimum ECL for chaos dragon is 10.... HD is 6 though, so it could SEEM like the dragon is same level, but ECL would be way higher.

Diarmuid
2013-11-02, 06:41 PM
It seems odd to me that your character knowing something is contingent on you as a player knowing something.

This encourages metagaming as opposed to actually using the skill system as it's intended.

Flickerdart
2013-11-02, 06:50 PM
Prismatic Dragons roll a d8 to determine what their breath does. What is the dragon character's breath's effects?

Scumbaggery
2013-11-02, 07:01 PM
Apparently, if I can come up with it without my DMs help then its possible for my Wizard with Arcane knowledge to figure it out as well.

As an avid roleplayer, shame on you. Going on the internet and asking a forum isn't figuring it out for yourself. :smallmad:

Flickerdart
2013-11-02, 07:06 PM
As an avid roleplayer, shame on you. Going on the internet and asking a forum isn't figuring it out for yourself. :smallmad:
The DM is straight-up telling him to metagame if he wants to know anything about the dragon (presumably, he is not allowed to roll a Knowledge check, or he'd already know). It's already such a breach of etiquette that this is hardly something to get your jimmies so rustled over.

BrokenChord
2013-11-02, 07:21 PM
The DM is straight-up telling him to metagame if he wants to know anything about the dragon (presumably, he is not allowed to roll a Knowledge check, or he'd already know). It's already such a breach of etiquette that this is hardly something to get your jimmies so rustled over.

Jimmy rustling is a thing here too?! Seriously, leave the Skyrim Blog for five minutes and it follows me around...

Anyway, for the obviousness of obviousness, what was her personality like? Or at least, all you could gather of it.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-02, 07:42 PM

This is what caused my jimmies to begin rustling to begin with

https://i.canvasugc.com/ugc/original/307a144a98673fb979fab2b00fa6526b75211795.png

Coidzor
2013-11-02, 08:33 PM
Song Dragon comes to mind as a possibility.

Steel as well.

Or, given your DM, the most likely thing that comes to mind is that your DM is ****ing with you and it's entirely arbitrary or homebrew or they've tweaked an existing dragon in some way.

You forgot the shame for the DM.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-02, 09:12 PM
You forgot the shame for the DM.

Oh, right.

SHAME! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBeSjtU-7AI)

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-02, 09:55 PM
The final print issue of Dragon Magazine has the Time Dragon, which might explain why you think that you have traveled through time. It also has two different breath attacks, although I don't think either of them are based on a percentage.

Jimmy rustling is a thing here too?! Seriously, leave the Skyrim Blog for five minutes and it follows me around...

Jimmy Rustling (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/that-really-rustled-my-jimmies) is more widespread than you think, apparently.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-03, 01:09 AM
It seems odd to me that your character knowing something is contingent on you as a player knowing something.

This encourages metagaming as opposed to actually using the skill system as it's intended.

A number of DMs actually prefer metagaming to using skill rolls. The ones I've seen express that sentiment feel threatened by Knowledge checks, as it forces them to provide information and have it (usually) be accurate. They also tend to feel like metagaming rewards 'knowledgeable' PCs for doing OOC research, which they view as positive.

Also, many DMs seem highly reluctant to give out "free" information (if they have prepared that information at all) which helps solve encounters, and regard it as cheating to have an ability which says "my character knows about your challenge, so you must tell the player what he needs to know about it". I guess it's a power thing, but that's what seems to be going through DMs' heads.

Zombulian
2013-11-03, 01:21 AM

Anyway, for the obviousness of obviousness, what was her personality like? Or at least, all you could gather of it.

It's more like a general... internet thing.

Yawgmoth
2013-11-03, 10:10 AM
A number of DMs actually prefer metagaming to using skill rolls. The ones I've seen express that sentiment feel threatened by Knowledge checks, as it forces them to provide information and have it (usually) be accurate. They also tend to feel like metagaming rewards 'knowledgeable' PCs for doing OOC research, which they view as positive.

Also, many DMs seem highly reluctant to give out "free" information (if they have prepared that information at all) which helps solve encounters, and regard it as cheating to have an ability which says "my character knows about your challenge, so you must tell the player what he needs to know about it". I guess it's a power thing, but that's what seems to be going through DMs' heads. You know a lot of really terrible DMs, hth