PDA

View Full Version : Bunnies like the Wii

Jibar
2007-01-07, 05:30 AM
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

So, I managed to find one of the few copies of Rayman Raving Rabbids left in the east. And I am now hooked.
Wii Sports showed you how you can use the Wii to replicate things.
Wii Play showed you how you can use the motion sensor for all kinds of things.
Twilight Princess showed you how the Wii can be used to its best.
Raving Rabbids shows you how you can kill people with video games.
After a rousing game of "Bunnies can't milk cows part II" your elbows are very likely to drop off. This game will wear you out so much.
Of course, the game is brilliant. The minigames are all interesting, he FPS moments are golden, and the Rabbids themselves are priceless. Many a time you'll end up focusing on the rabbids instead of the game.
Unlocking music and costumes may seem a bit pointless, but when you can finally give Rayman knees, and actually have some Bunny Metal music, completeing with screaming, it's all worth it.

So, has anybody else got this?

Dragor
2007-01-07, 05:43 AM
Nope. I've always swung away from Rayman games, since I'm a Mario fan through and through.... but that's all changed with all the rubbish releases he's had recently.

I'm looking forward to Smash Bros. Brawl, though. Going old school with Pit from Kid Icarus will be excellent. I'm glad that HAL are digging deep into Nintendo's root and picking out some classic characters.

A bit Off-Topic there :smallbiggrin:

So the answer is no, I haven't got it. But if anymore people here proclaim their love for it, I might buy it instead of Red Steel.....

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-07, 08:39 PM
<_< >_> <_< >_>
<_< >_> <_< >_>
<_< >_> <_< >_>
<_< >_> <_< >_>
<_< >_> <_< >_>

http://wii.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/60052/rayman-raving-rabbids-20060727023135340_qjgenth.jpg

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bunnies don't know how to play nice.

This game has probably the best character design and overall concept I've seen on the Wii yet. The rabbids are just priceless.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-07, 09:41 PM
The best video for Rayman thus far (in my opinion):

www.rayman-mobile.com (http://www.rayman-mobile.com)

and I agree, Rayman is the most enjoyable (albeit PAINFUL) title for the Wii thus far. I can tell this because my normally game-hating wife WON'T LET ME PLAY MY OWN CONSOLE!!!!! She usurps it from me as soon as she gets home *cries pathetically into his tea*. It's NOT FAAAAAAIR!!!!! (please note 5 exclamation points, a sure sign of criminal insanity).

tgva8889
2007-01-07, 10:41 PM
I just want a Wii. The different games I get for it can wait. All I want is the system itself.

Well, that, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the game series which alone is the reason I buy the Nintendo systems. I mean, they come with great games, but these games alone would be enough to make me buy a system. It was the only reason I bought a Gamecube. Really.

Errata
2007-01-09, 02:01 PM
I might buy it instead of Red Steel.....

Believe it or not, Rayman is a better FPS than Red Steel. You may be shooting plungers instead of bullets, but hey it works well.

Red Steel sounds like it should be good, but its a terribly flawed game. I was planning on getting it up until the release, when I started hearing the feedback. Rayman Raving Rabbids I would never have considered getting prior to the release. It sounds like an annoying kids game. And I didn't think the old school Rayman on PS1 was interesting. Yet at around the same time that Red Steel was being panned, Rayman was getting surprisingly good reviews from pretty much everywhere. And its nothing like the rest of the Rayman series. I got Rayman (along with Zelda naturally), and I am definitely not disappointed. A great game that I totally wouldn't have expected. Lots of fun single player, and lots of fun with friends. They really designed the game from the ground up for the Wii controller and find some interesting uses for it.

Another surprise winner from left field is actually Super Monkey Ball. I don't own it, but I rented a bunch of games and it was actually my favorite, so I plan to get it. Its got 50 different party mini games all making good use of the Wii controller. Its a shocking amount of programming that must have gone into the game when each mini game is a unique and full fledged game unto itself. The art and characters aren't anything that would lead me to expect the game to appeal to me, but the actual gameplay in the party games is incredibly diverse.

Daedrous Avari
2007-01-09, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I hard Red Steel was actually crap.

I'm looking forward to Brawl. Hopefully it'll take away the button mashingness of the previous games.

I'm probably going to get Raving Rabbids.

Super Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess are also great games I hope to receive.

Jack Squat
2007-01-09, 06:11 PM
I have Red Steel, and it's not as bad as it's made out to be, but it's not exactly a brilliant peice of work either. It plays out alot like an action movie, but I wish the cut scenes either could be skipped or were shorter.

Haven't gotten Raving Rabbits yet, but it looks fun. I'll proabably get it soon.

Mr Pink
2007-01-09, 07:15 PM
Raymen is a gerat fun game, but don't expect longeviety out of it's single player experiance... and in my opinoin there are only so many mini games worth playing... (love the ice minigame!!!)
That being said, very fun with 3 friends, less so if you have more then 4 people wanting to play... since turns are usually taken one at a time, additional people have to wait a fair while...

Red Steel on the other hand... i've played it for 2 hours (borrowed from a friend) and i loved it... after about an hour, i found the control scheme very simple to use, and fluid (unlike most reviewers admit) although i expect future games will really build on the basics of this control scheme and get better...

Red Steel is a bit like Zelda, it takes time to get into, the only problem is, the game only goes for 10-12 hours... not 50.

I think Red Steels BIGGEST problem is the fact that there is a big learning curve... i've tried playing red steel as an MP game, and no one else can play it very well, which leads to a very short game, and then it's back to raymen or sports...

Otehrwise, i love the game, and the sword fightign is great (look forward to a dedicated sword fightign game that is VERY intuitive)

NOTE: sorry for the off topic rant...

tgva8889
2007-01-09, 08:15 PM

I'm looking forward to Brawl. Hopefully it'll take away the button mashingness of the previous games.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but from what I've read about Brawl on it's official website, they won't be removing the "button mashingness" from the Super Smash Bros. Series ever again. It's a good series because it's a simple fighting game with Nintendo game characters. In fact, I think the website said or hinted somewhere that they might make it so that the game is played using the Gamecube controller (which would be really amusing). I think he mentioned something about "don't throw your Gamecube controllers away".

Speaking at which, the Wii is backwards-compatible with the Gamecube, right? If so, then I'll probably get a Wii, test out all the cool Wii-ness of the Wii-mote, then get bored and digress into playing old-school Melee while I wait for Brawl to make a debut. You see, I don't get many games for Nintendo systems, baring Pokemon and Super Smash related titles. I mean, it's not that they're bad, I just don't buy a lot of games. Though the Wii has some titles I'm keen to try. Rayman, while at first I dismissed it, seems to be getting quite the rave here, so I think I'll try that game. Then there's Marvel Alliance (I think that's what it's called), a game I've wanted to try on the Wii ever since I heard about it's existance. Then, there's Call of Duty 3, part of a series of what I consider the best WWII FPS series for the computer. If it's for the Wii, all the better.

Oh, and in response to that "Wii-sword fighting game" comment, I have only three words:

Jedi Lightsaber Battles.

Errata
2007-01-09, 09:46 PM
Tgva, Marvel is pretty cool. Its an action rpg, but you have to turn off the default setting of managing your character advancement automatically. A ridiculous number of heroes to choose from with unlockable hidden characters and team synergy bonuses. The super powers are typically controlled with gestures on the remote+nunchuck, but since its a multiplatform port, it doesn't make as much use of the wiimote as it could.

Its got excellent cooperative play blended seamlessly with single player. You control a team of 4 characters, no matter how many players you have. Each player can switch which hero they control on the fly. Any hero not being player controlled is AI controlled. So you can play a game through with your SO, or you could have a single player game but let your friends join in with you without restarting. If you've got someone to play with and you've been looking for a cooperative play game, this is a perfect choice. But its still a pretty good choice even if you plan to play solo.

Jack Squat
2007-01-10, 10:55 AM
Jedi Lightsaber Battles.

My mouth is watering right now; figuratively of course.

Jibar
2007-01-10, 11:18 AM
Ah, I got hold of Ultimate Alliance.
My one complauint; tipping the nunchuck to turn the camera. I am constantly swinging my view around by accident.
Yes, everybody get Raving Rabbids. And I send much hate to the curling game. God damn them cows. Possibly the most fun thing you can do is dress up in the costume appropriate for the song and dance games. Then it's just awesome.
And concerning the Brawl control system; best not to go into it. A lot of places are arguing a lot about it. I picked up a Wii magazine, and it's main story was should Brawl use the Gamecube controller.

tgva8889
2007-01-10, 09:03 PM
Only thing they can really do is to make Wii-mote gestures for certain attacks. However, this would become stupid eventually when people start complaining because the Wii-mote sensor can only be so good, and eventually someone will lose because they can't use the right moves with a Wii-mote. Then they'll get annoyed and stop playing the game. Not mentioning anyone in particular, of course :smallbiggrin:.

I'd have nothing against the Wii-mote, I just like the SSBM system of controls. If they can find something simple to do with the Wii-mote, then by godspeed, have them do it.

And the Jedi battles was the first thing my brother and I came up with for cool Wii games that could use the Wii-mote. We just can't wait. Battlefront 3 or something similar to that would be awesome. So would a game similiar to the Jedi Knight series. Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy I think are the games, but I'm not completely sure I'm correct on that.

Cleverdan22
2007-01-12, 08:03 PM
Oh yes. This game is freakishly awesome. I leave you with a little bit of:
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

theKOT
2007-01-12, 08:53 PM
Only thing they can really do is to make Wii-mote gestures for certain attacks. However, this would become stupid eventually when people start complaining because the Wii-mote sensor can only be so good, and eventually someone will lose because they can't use the right moves with a Wii-mote. Then they'll get annoyed and stop playing the game. Not mentioning anyone in particular, of course :smallbiggrin:. You could say the same thing about any Wii game you haven't played yet. Fact is the Wiimote motion sensor is that sensitive. It can sense changes the width of only 10-100 hydrogen atoms. However, it would be difficult to constantly pull off the extremely varied motions. I too vote for a button-controlled brawl if it is actuable.

tgva8889
2007-01-14, 06:38 PM
You could say the same thing about any Wii game you haven't played yet. Fact is the Wiimote motion sensor is that sensitive. It can sense changes the width of only 10-100 hydrogen atoms. However, it would be difficult to constantly pull off the extremely varied motions. I too vote for a button-controlled brawl if it is actuable.

Indeed. It's simply that I'm used to a button controlled game of SSB, so when I want to use, for example, my Up-B move to save myself from falling off the stage, I know exactly how and I simply press buttons. If it were done in gestures, even if I knew how I might make a gesture that's just slightly wrong, and then I'd do something else. Then I'd be angry. It's personal preference, not really any comments about the Wii in general. The game system is great. I just don't want to have to deal with playing a game like that competitively like I do and screwing up because of the Wii-mote's uber-sensory qualities.

Crispy Dave
2007-01-18, 11:38 AM
i have one thing to say and one thing only BUNIES FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!