PDA

View Full Version : Can you enchant a sword pummel?

CyberThread
2013-11-02, 08:41 PM
I know this may seem weird, but if you have a sword, does the swords enhancements work on the pummel, and likewise, can you put a greater mighty wallop on a pummel, and use it against .... other targets like walls.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-02, 09:22 PM
I don't think so... I've certainly never seen any rules about it. You need a weapon to give weapon enhancements, and things like longswords aren't written with the option to do blunt damage by whacking things with the pommel. (It's there to counterbalance the blade, after all, not to be a secondary weapon)

Flickerdart
2013-11-02, 09:37 PM
I know this may seem weird, but if you have a sword, does the swords enhancements work on the pummel, and likewise, can you put a greater mighty wallop on a pummel, and use it against .... other targets like walls.
Using the pommel or haft of a weapon to attack, without having a feat or some other ability that helps, would make it an improvised weapon. I am uncertain if anything in the rules says that an improvised weapon cannot benefit from spells that improve weapons.

TuggyNE
2013-11-02, 09:43 PM
I assume you mean pommel, and Grod is right; it's not a separate weapon and 3.5 doesn't recognize a separate ability to attack with it.

Thurbane
2013-11-02, 11:09 PM
I'm sure the DM could houserule it, but officially, no.

That would require some kind of double weapon, with each end being enchanted separately.

A gyrspike is basically a sword with a flail attached to the hilt. It's extremely silly, but it vaguely fits the description (if you treat the flail head as the "pommel").

http://i44.tinypic.com/2444qwi.jpg

Darrin
2013-11-03, 05:21 AM

You can "strike to subdue" with any lethal weapon by taking a -4 penalty. How exactly you strike is up to you to describe. You could use the "flat" of the blade or "pull your punch" on the swing. In this case, I'd say the sword enhancements continue to work.

You could also attempt to use the hilt/crossguard/pommel as if it were a club or some other blunt weapon, and call it an attack with an "improvised weapon" with a -4 penalty. However, since you're deliberately trying to strike in a way the weapon was not designed to be used, I'm not sure you'd get sword enhancements, particularly if they are fluffed to be emanating from the blade. That's more of a DM's call.

There's also the Dragonshard Pommel (Forge of War p. 121) which can be enchanted separately and attached to any sword. Since the weapon enchantments are on the pommel, such as Flaming or Enfeebling or whatnot, then I could see those still working if you hit someone with the pommel. Might be more of a case-by-case basis, however... Keen wouldn't work, because the pommel isn't slashing.

TuggyNE
2013-11-03, 05:59 AM
However, since you're deliberately trying to strike in a way the weapon was not designed to be used, I'm not sure you'd get sword enhancements, particularly if they are fluffed to be emanating from the blade. That's more of a DM's call.

There's also the Dragonshard Pommel (Forge of War p. 121) which can be enchanted separately and attached to any sword. Since the weapon enchantments are on the pommel, such as Flaming or Enfeebling or whatnot, then I could see those still working if you hit someone with the pommel. Might be more of a case-by-case basis, however... Keen wouldn't work, because the pommel isn't slashing.

Brilliant Energy is always fun. :smalltongue:

relytdan
2013-11-03, 08:32 AM
the only thing that might do something like what the OP is asking
is something like a dragon fang pommel- as there is a good example of how this works in ( Weapons of Legacy p. 61 : CRIMSON RUINATION) - Wrapped in red dragonhide, the grip ends in a pommel crafted of a 3-inch-long dragon fang- the fang in theory could be further enchanted and could impart its abilities into the weapon ; otherwise I cannot think of anything that would allow a separate enchantment short of a houserule.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-03, 08:35 AM
Actual European fencing styles teach to use the pommel as a club. I'm surprised there's not a feat for that, honestly.

Regardless, it's still part of the sword and not a separate weapon, so no you can't turn it into a magic weapon.

Lilapop
2013-11-03, 01:55 PM
You could go off Races of the Wild's close fighting blade. Its not exactly what you're looking for (piercing or slashing instead of bludgeoning), but it could serve as a base for working out something with your DM.