PDA

View Full Version : In desperate need of assistance

AzureKnight
2013-11-02, 11:46 PM
Hi again everyone. I have my level 30 character concept ready and approved by my dm. This what he has:

Race: Rakshasha
Class: Wizard 5, Incantatrix 10, Archmage 5, Ur-Priest 2, Mystic Theurge 8.
Templet: Paragon
Base Stats: All 18s
Magic Items:
1. +14 Quarterstaff ; everdancing; metamagic maximize 3/day
2. Epic Cloak of Intellect +12
3. Epic Amulet of natural armor +10
4. Epic ring of Protection +10
5. 1 of each minor metamagic rod.
6. Epic boots of Swiftness
7. Epic ring of elemental immunity
8. Lens of true seeing ; fashioned into eyeglasses.
9. Headband of epic Intellect +12
10. Portable Hole.

Ok that being done all I need to finish this character off are my feats. I thought I heard about a feat that after being stacked, would effectively drop the spell level cost of metamagic spells to a 1, so a quickened fireball would use a 4th level spell slot.

I can not remember the feat name or the sourcebook for it but would like to get them both so my dm can read it from to book to make sure my character is legit. Otherwise, could I get a hand at some good feats for this character as I rarely play spellcasters as they are broke as hell and a pain to deal with. The difference this time is I am not the dm lol. Thank you all in advance.

Tvtyrant
2013-11-03, 12:54 AM
Metamagic handbook. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=972.0) There are a lot of ways to drop metamagic down, including your incantatrix levels, but I need more to go on to help you.

Melcar
2013-11-03, 05:05 AM
Improved Metamagic from ELH

http://dndtools.eu/feats/dungeon-masters-guide-v35--4/improved-metamagic--1520/

BTW... Is it the Template from ELH?

AzureKnight
2013-11-03, 08:17 AM
Paragon is indeed from EPL.

Tvtyrant, what other information did you need?

fishyfishyfishy
2013-11-03, 10:38 AM
Hi again everyone. I have my level 30 character concept ready and approved by my dm. This what he has:

Race: Rakshasha
Class: Wizard 5, Incantatrix 10, Archmage 5, Ur-Priest 2, Mystic Theurge 8.
Templet: Paragon
Base Stats: All 18s
Magic Items:
1. +14 Quarterstaff ; everdancing; metamagic maximize 3/day
2. Epic Cloak of Intellect +12
3. Epic Amulet of natural armor +10
4. Epic ring of Protection +10
5. 1 of each minor metamagic rod.
6. Epic boots of Swiftness
7. Epic ring of elemental immunity
8. Lens of true seeing ; fashioned into eyeglasses.
9. Headband of epic Intellect +12
10. Portable Hole.

Ok that being done all I need to finish this character off are my feats. I thought I heard about a feat that after being stacked, would effectively drop the spell level cost of metamagic spells to a 1, so a quickened fireball would use a 4th level spell slot.

I can not remember the feat name or the sourcebook for it but would like to get them both so my dm can read it from to book to make sure my character is legit. Otherwise, could I get a hand at some good feats for this character as I rarely play spellcasters as they are broke as hell and a pain to deal with. The difference this time is I am not the dm lol. Thank you all in advance.

Number 2 and Number 9 on your list of items stand out to me...You do know that items that grant the same type of bonus don't stack right? So by having two different items that grant a +12 enhancement to Int you only get a +12, not a +24.

Also, it's spelled Rakshasa.

What arcane casting are you advancing with the Prestige classes? I'm guessing that Incantatrix and Archmage advance Wizard, while Mystic Theurge advances Sorcerer.

AzureKnight
2013-11-03, 01:54 PM
I know that the int doesnt stack, i just listed all his magic items. And you are correct fish, about the prestige class distribution.

Tvtyrant
2013-11-03, 01:56 PM
What type of casting are you aiming for? Are epic feats open? Epic casting? The more you tell us the more we can help.

AzureKnight
2013-11-03, 02:29 PM
All of this character's feats are open plus i am allowed 2 flaws. I am wanting a caster that can optimize his spell power, damage, effects and spells per round without killing my higher level spell slots to do so.

The dm specified epic spell slots are for metamagic spells only, no homebrewed spells. Sitting in on the game last night average damage for characters per round is 500 and 900 total.

Swashbuckler/Rouge Human leved 30 gestalt maxed at 630
Lionel battledancer: maxed at 980.

I know nonw of them have seem what an epic caster is capable of so I wanted to represent.

Max spells allowed per round is 3/2; immediate, quickened, standard first round, and second round quickened, standard.

The dm also has a house rule (i disagree with but oh well) the rakshasa's spell immunity is always active so no spell below 8th has any effect on him so he cannot allow himself to be healed by most healing spells. Also Spell resistance is a constant which can never be lowered to allow friendly spells to automaticly take effect.

Let me know if you need further information.

Tvtyrant
2013-11-03, 06:26 PM
So you cannot extra spell your way into greater arcane thesis for 5 spells s round? Shame. My suggestion is grab Reserves of Strength to uncap all spell modifiers and taking automatic quicken at least twice to get your 1-6 level spells back to relevancy. At work right now but I will have more suggestions tonight.

Edit: Basically if you twin, quicken, energy admixture and maximize orbs of fire substiuted to something else and with reserves of strength applied you take 30 damage and do somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand damage.

AzureKnight
2013-11-03, 11:55 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great help, expecially TvTyrant. Your my hero.

Tvtyrant
2013-11-04, 02:26 AM
1.Extend Spell (for persist)
2 (flaw.) (persistent spell)
3 (flaw.) (Iron Will) (Later uses Otugyuh Hole for this, swaps to spell focus for your archmage levels)
4. Reserves of Strength (you want this for all of the reasons.)
5. Maximize Spell (Need it for everything.)
5.5 (wizard.) Twin Spell (This one is better than anything.)
6. Easy Metamagic: Twin Spell
6.5 (Incantatrix.)
7. City Spell or Searing Spell (nets you half-unresistable damage.)
7.5 (incantatrix.)
8. Probably Arcane Thesis: Orb of Fire.
9. Quicken Spell
9.9 (incantatrix.)
10 (epic.) Multispell, if you can convince your DM to allow it. Gains you a second quickened slot a turn.
11 (epic.) More multispell if allowed, maybe staff mastery if not. You don’t get spellcraft 30 until next level…
12 (epic.) Yes! Spellcraft 30! Now is the time to decide between the two big ones; automatic quicken spell and improved metamagic. Either way you are taking it twice.
13 (epic.) The second one of the above. If quicken welcome to 3 extra 6th level spells a turn, if improved metamagic you are going to focus on bigger shots.

With auto-quicken and multi-spell: Orb of Fire (4) + Twin spell (4) + Maximize Spell (3)= 11th level spell. Subtract 4 for Incantatrix Improved Metamagic and arcane thesis, another one for easy metamagic: twin spell.
Rests at a 6th level slot, netting you 6 180 damage orbs a turn before casting your standard action slot.
With Improved Metamagic: Orb of Fire (4) + twin spell (4) + quicken (4) + Maximize spell (4) + empower spell (3)= 19
With metamagic reduction= 3. You cannot actually get it this low, but technically it would drop below 0. 5th level slot is probably the lowest you can get on it, but you get 465 damage off of each one and you can afford two a round. Less damage.

The other side of the coin is your use of persist. Defensive persistent buffs are really, really important to you. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223438)

Ignominia
2013-11-04, 05:25 PM
Is your DM not making you worry about LA or Racial HD? A Rakshasa has 7 RHD and a +7 LA... Meaning your build as it stands is a ECL 44

AzureKnight
2013-11-05, 12:17 AM
1.Extend Spell (for persist)
2 (flaw.) (persistent spell)
3 (flaw.) (Iron Will) (Later uses Otugyuh Hole for this, swaps to spell focus for your archmage levels)
4. Reserves of Strength (you want this for all of the reasons.)
5. Maximize Spell (Need it for everything.)
5.5 (wizard.) Twin Spell (This one is better than anything.)
6. Easy Metamagic: Twin Spell
6.5 (Incantatrix.)
7. City Spell or Searing Spell (nets you half-unresistable damage.)
7.5 (incantatrix.)
8. Probably Arcane Thesis: Orb of Fire.
9. Quicken Spell
9.9 (incantatrix.)
10 (epic.) Multispell, if you can convince your DM to allow it. Gains you a second quickened slot a turn.
11 (epic.) More multispell if allowed, maybe staff mastery if not. You don’t get spellcraft 30 until next level…
12 (epic.) Yes! Spellcraft 30! Now is the time to decide between the two big ones; automatic quicken spell and improved metamagic. Either way you are taking it twice.
13 (epic.) The second one of the above. If quicken welcome to 3 extra 6th level spells a turn, if improved metamagic you are going to focus on bigger shots.

With auto-quicken and multi-spell: Orb of Fire (4) + Twin spell (4) + Maximize Spell (3)= 11th level spell. Subtract 4 for Incantatrix Improved Metamagic and arcane thesis, another one for easy metamagic: twin spell.
Rests at a 6th level slot, netting you 6 180 damage orbs a turn before casting your standard action slot.
With Improved Metamagic: Orb of Fire (4) + twin spell (4) + quicken (4) + Maximize spell (4) + empower spell (3)= 19
With metamagic reduction= 3. You cannot actually get it this low, but technically it would drop below 0. 5th level slot is probably the lowest you can get on it, but you get 465 damage off of each one and you can afford two a round. Less damage.

The other side of the coin is your use of persist. Defensive persistent buffs are really, really important to you. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223438)

Ok, I was reading over the build and had just one problem, that perhaps I am either overlooking or not understanding. The reduction in metamagic levels. I am not certain how the math goes to take a level increase as low as you did. I am hoping you could help me understand where it all came from as I am confused. I could only accouny for a few reductions.

Tvtyrant
2013-11-05, 12:53 AM
Ok, I was reading over the build and had just one problem, that perhaps I am either overlooking or not understanding. The reduction in metamagic levels. I am not certain how the math goes to take a level increase as low as you did. I am hoping you could help me understand where it all came from as I am confused. I could only accouny for a few reductions.

Improved metamagic reduces each metamagic feat by 1 level, to a minimum of 1 spell level lowered. So four feats would be four spell levels higher if just reduced by improved metamagic (you get it three times, once from incantatrix and twice from epic feats.) Arcane thesis has a different limiter; it reduces the overall level by 1 per feat applied to a spell to a minimum of 1 total. So It would be 4 for the spell and four for the metamagic feats, and then reduced by four back to the original +1 for the limiter on arcane thesis.

There are some horrible arcane thesis tricks using +0 level metamagic feats for the sole purpose of lowering the total level.

AzureKnight
2013-11-05, 02:11 AM
awesome thanks agai Tvtyrant. I wanted to be able to show the dm how the level of the spell was so low compared to before the cost reductions.

Sith_Happens
2013-11-05, 03:15 AM
Needs more Ultimate Magus.

Crake
2013-11-05, 03:26 AM
Needs more Ultimate Magus.

Gotta agree, spontaneous/prepared 9s can be achieved by level 24 iirc. That said, UM's metamagic reducer is paltry compared to incantatrix's

Ignominia
2013-11-06, 10:20 AM
Is your DM not making you worry about LA or Racial HD? A Rakshasa has 7 RHD and a +7 LA... Meaning your build as it stands is a ECL 44

So, in answer to this question then... No?

I see you have a gestalt rogue / swashbuckler and a Lionel battle dancer... I can see the gestalt class being considered "balanced" (maybe? A 14 level gap is pretty huge) with the Rakshasa, however I'm not familiar with Lionel...

I'm not trying to poke holes here... Just curious as to what level of balance your Dm is trying for... If any :smallsmile:

AzureKnight
2013-11-06, 01:04 PM
The Raskshasa was allowed more levels in total since he opted not to be a gestalt character. Normally with race and class combined, we were allowed to be 30 class levels in all.

The paragon templet was not added to the total levels as it was a freebie to all players as they are chosen representitives of their deities. Since the Rakshasa was only single classed he allowed him to have 30 class levels in addition to racial.

But with a magic user of this power, I knew gestalt was serious overkill already.
That plus I opted for Ur-Priest amd and MT instead of Spellfire Channeler since with the Rakshasa's spell immunities would probrobly be a little too unmanagable.