PDA

View Full Version : Ioun Stone Archer

Tvtyrant
2013-11-03, 01:08 AM
So one of the rules of psionics is that an item can only provide 1 PP towards manifesting a power, but the same is not true about fueling deep crystal (which is not a power.)

Dull grey Ioun stones provide 1 PP for free if they are burned for PP by a psionic character. An archer type (say a Ranger) could thus take the Wild Talent feat and buy a heap of Dull Grey Ioun stones to effectively deal an extra 2d6 damage a shot for as long as he or she is willing to fork over 25 GP each time.

The Oni
2013-11-03, 01:55 AM
Considering the going rate of good poison and the low save DCs of bad poison, this isn't a bad idea at all! But, I'd try to make it more focused on dealing damage in one shot, and go for an archery rogue instead for sneak attack damage.

...Actually, for that matter - why an archer at all? You can do it on a melee weapon and take no AoE's.

TuggyNE
2013-11-03, 02:33 AM
So one of the rules of psionics is that an item can only provide 1 PP towards manifesting a power, but the same is not true about fueling deep crystal (which is not a power.)

That's not quite right. You can only manifest a power using pp from one source (a cognizance crystal, your own reserves, or whatever), but the amount drawn from that pool is limited only by the amount in the source and your ML, whichever is lower.

Anyway, 50gp/2d6 seems a bit pricey. How much do even gunslingers pay for their ammo, anyway?

Averis Vol
2013-11-03, 03:44 AM
That's not quite right. You can only manifest a power using pp from one source (a cognizance crystal, your own reserves, or whatever), but the amount drawn from that pool is limited only by the amount in the source and your ML, whichever is lower.

Anyway, 50gp/2d6 seems a bit pricey. How much do even gunslingers pay for their ammo, anyway?

Think it was something like 7 gp a round. Adds up after a while, and were I truly desperate for that 2d6 damage, I'd just buy the arcanist of the party a wand of flame arrow. (And something else that gives an extra 1d6 damage >.> still cheaper.)