PDA

View Full Version : Urgals/Kull race creation help needed

Ortesk
2013-11-03, 04:47 AM
Since im now readinf part 4 of the eragon book set, it occured to me that i need to create the Urgal Kull races from the book. Only issue is.....I cant do homebrew for anything. So i was hoping i could come to the masters for any help they can provide me

ArcturusV
2013-11-03, 05:03 AM
I've only read book one and book two of Eregon's series. So I'm probably not really qualified to take a crack at it. It's also been quite a while since I've read it. If I remember.. and it's kinda vague... they're large hulking brutes from the tundras, got some sort of Fire Fixation, great endurance and such?

Sounds like they'd be a generic hulking bruiser race from what I recall. Not too hard to figure out. But if you can provide a few more details that I'm not remembering (Or didn't get far enough to read into), I can start to form a more complete picture.

Ortesk
2013-11-03, 05:09 AM
I've only read book one and book two of Eregon's series. So I'm probably not really qualified to take a crack at it. It's also been quite a while since I've read it. If I remember.. and it's kinda vague... they're large hulking brutes from the tundras, got some sort of Fire Fixation, great endurance and such?

Sounds like they'd be a generic hulking bruiser race from what I recall. Not too hard to figure out. But if you can provide a few more details that I'm not remembering (Or didn't get far enough to read into), I can start to form a more complete picture.

Instead of the skewed view i could present, i'll throw this on http://inheritance.wikia.com/wiki/Urgal

ArcturusV
2013-11-03, 05:20 AM
Interesting, but more societal fluff and history rather than something that suggests open mechanical concepts for what I presume you want in a 3rd edition (Or maybe PF but I don't play PF and couldn't help) game.

Key traits I see existing:

1) Large size. When their "Smallest" adults rival the size of the larger humanoids, and their average height range goes up to 9 feet... I'd be willing to call that Large.

2) Brutish, tough nature compared to humans.

3) No less advanced than Elves or Humans, so unlikely that they have Intelligence penalties or the like. Compared to Orcs who are described standard as barbaric compared to elves so the Int penalty kinda makes sense.

Now what is the LA you're looking for on this? To be honest Large Size + Anything probably means you're looking at eating a point of LA if not two. Shaving down the LA means shaving down the benefits of the race, or perhaps making up flaws that don't seem to exist to try to balance it out.

Ortesk
2013-11-03, 05:27 AM
Interesting, but more societal fluff and history rather than something that suggests open mechanical concepts for what I presume you want in a 3rd edition (Or maybe PF but I don't play PF and couldn't help) game.

Key traits I see existing:

1) Large size. When their "Smallest" adults rival the size of the larger humanoids, and their average height range goes up to 9 feet... I'd be willing to call that Large.

2) Brutish, tough nature compared to humans.

3) No less advanced than Elves or Humans, so unlikely that they have Intelligence penalties or the like. Compared to Orcs who are described standard as barbaric compared to elves so the Int penalty kinda makes sense.

Now what is the LA you're looking for on this? To be honest Large Size + Anything probably means you're looking at eating a point of LA if not two. Shaving down the LA means shaving down the benefits of the race, or perhaps making up flaws that don't seem to exist to try to balance it out.

The urgal itself i was thinking would be maybe a half orc with a horn attack, he wouldnt be much fancy stuff. The kull could be large OFC, but would powerful build make sense? 8-9 feet tall is also in goliath range. And any level adjustment is fine, as long as its accurate to the canon.The game is 3.5, to answer your first question

ArcturusV
2013-11-03, 05:43 AM
Ashamed to say I've never played with or really looked into Goliaths so I wasn't thinking of Powerful Build.

So thinking of Urgal being something like the following, trying to keep the LA: zero on it.

Urgal Traits are the following:
Size: Medium.
Move speed: 30'
Horn Attack: Urgal horns can be used as a natural weapon as part of a charge attack (But not otherwise), an Urgal's horns inflict 2d4 damage.
Urgals gain +2 Strength, +2 Con, and -4 Charisma, they are strong, tough, but considered bloodthirsty and brutish, ill received by others.
Urgals gain a +4 bonus to resist effects that would alter their behavior (Such as Charm Person, dominate, suggestion, Intimidate, Bluff, etc), they are hardheaded, stubborn, and their culture breed belligerent behavior.
+2 Racial bonus to Climb, Jump, Swim, and Survival, Urgals are hardy, athletic creatures in constant competition.
+4 Racial bonus to Intimidate.
Automatic Language: Urgal. Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven.

I'd probably peg that as LA: 0, and fits most of what I've seen and remember about them.

Ortesk
2013-11-03, 05:45 AM
Ashamed to say I've never played with or really looked into Goliaths so I wasn't thinking of Powerful Build.

So thinking of Urgal being something like the following, trying to keep the LA: zero on it.

Urgal Traits are the following:
Move speed: 30'
Horn Attack: Urgal horns can be used as a natural weapon as part of a charge attack (But not otherwise), an Urgal's horns inflict 2d4 damage.
Urgals gain +2 Strength, +2 Con, and -4 Charisma, they are strong, tough, but considered bloodthirsty and brutish, ill received by others.
Urgals gain a +4 bonus to resist effects that would alter their behavior (Such as Charm Person, dominate, suggestion, Intimidate, Bluff, etc), they are hardheaded, stubborn, and their culture breed belligerent behavior.
+2 Racial bonus to Climb, Jump, Swim, and Survival, Urgals are hardy, athletic creatures in constant competition.
+4 Racial bonus to Intimidate.
Automatic Language: Urgal. Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven.

I'd probably peg that as LA: 0, and fits most of what I've seen and remember about them.

Thats perfect man, thanks. I like the horn on a charge attack, it really mixes well with the way the battled in books. Only the kull didnt need to charge to use horns (There strength and size let them)

ArcturusV
2013-11-03, 05:49 AM
Ah. Didn't remember. I just saw the pictures of their "Horns" looking more goatish with the backwards curve rather than goring like bull horns so the charging made sense to me.

Ortesk
2013-11-03, 05:58 AM
Ah. Didn't remember. I just saw the pictures of their "Horns" looking more goatish with the backwards curve rather than goring like bull horns so the charging made sense to me.

Not to be a pesk, but any idea on the kulls? And i fully expect to eat some LA for them

ArcturusV
2013-11-03, 06:20 AM
Had to look up the language of Powerful Build.

Kull Traits:

Strength +4, Constitution +2, Charisma -4. Kulls are powerfully built, and tough creatures. Like their smaller cousins the Urgals however, they share a reputation for being bloodthirsty brutes and are generally received poorly.
Powerful Build: The physical stature of a Kull lets him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. Whenever a Kull is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Kull is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Kull is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Kull can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
Horn Attack: Kull horns can be used as a natural weapon. A Kull's horns inflict 2d6 damage (This is already adjusted for Powerful Build, do not adjust again). Unlike Urgals they do not need to charge to use this attack.
Kulls gain a +4 bonus to resist effects that would alter their behavior (Such as Charm Person, dominate, suggestion, Intimidate, Bluff, etc), they are hardheaded, stubborn, and their culture breed belligerent behavior.
+2 Racial bonus to Climb, Jump, Swim, and Survival, Kulls are hardy, athletic creatures in constant competition.
+2 Racial Bonus to attack and damage on a charge. Kulls are powerful creatures trained and used as shock troops for the thickest combat and expert in using their physicality to quickly overwhelm opponents.
Martial Weapon Proficiency: All Kulls are trained for heavy combat, regardless of their actual class, and receive free Martial Weapon Proficiency in a weapon of their choice.
Automatic Language: Urgal. Bonus Language: Common, Elven, Dwarven.
Level Adjustment: +1