PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy conversion

fanficfan
2013-11-03, 05:29 AM
Hi there,
I've been trying to create a Mass Effect conversion for the Dark Heresy RPG by Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop and I'd like to get some feedback on it from the community,
I just wanted to make sure that I can because I only ever seem to see D20 stuff (mostly PF and 3.5) in the Homebrew Design threads.
Thanks,
fanficfan

ChristianSt
2013-11-03, 06:21 AM
At least to my knowledge (I'm not frequenting Homebrew), the Homebrew subforum isn't limited to any kind of rule system (and in my opinion it would be kinda defeat the purpose, because homebrewing is about making your own stuff, or not? :smalltongue:).
The sub-forum description also don't mention any kind of system to be used, so I would think it is not limited.

I did a quick scan of the first page and even found two threads about completely new systems to design - so clearly they are not about 3.5 or PF :smallwink:.

As long as it is homebrewing and RPG it should be fine for that forum.

fanficfan
2013-11-03, 08:12 AM
Thanks ChristianST,
I was thinking more from a legal standpoint though. Anything d20 is basically covered by the OGL, but I know that Games Workshop can be pretty protective of their stuff.
Are there likely to be any problems from that side of things?

ChristianSt
2013-11-03, 08:32 AM
I can't give you help on a legal standpoint (and since you didn't wrote about it in your OP I assumed you have sorted that already out and wanted only to know whether it is a appropriate topic for Homebrew).
It probably depends a lot on what you actually want to do (e. g. would you likely post rule/flavour snippets out of existing books?) - but the best address to point the legal side of the question at, would be the relevant parties to your project (so the publishers of Mass Effect and Dark Heresy).
I know that isn't a really helpful answer (and maybe other people can say more helpful stuff), but that is all I can say about it (since I don't really know much about copyright stuff and imo it is better to err on the side of caution).

Khedrac
2013-11-03, 08:34 AM
It's also worth noting that it is against forums rules to offer legal advice. This means you need to get any legal questions sorted before you come tot h forums, don't ask those questions here.

All that said - good luck.

fanficfan
2013-11-03, 08:41 AM
Ah, looks like I need to make a more thorough reading of the rules here. Thanks for the help.
I'll see what I can find out from FFG, GW and Bioware before I do anything more.

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-03, 01:19 PM
Sheriff: Indeed, the ideas above capture my official advice for you:

1. Do carefully review the Forum Rules here (linked at the top of each page)
2. Don't ask for legal advice here
3. Do err on the side of caution and avoid posting material you may believe violates either the Forum Rules or the law
4. Homebrew is not game or system-specific, so if it meets the general description of "homebrew," you can post it there (or in the Worldbuilding subforum, if that's more appropriate).