PDA

View Full Version : New skill-point system

amanodel
2007-01-07, 08:29 AM
Not that big invention, but somewhere I saw something being mentioned. It was about letting certain classes to have their number of skill points derived from cha instead of int, but only for cha-based skills.

I found that way too complicated and useless, but the idea behind it got me.

Instead of having a (class-based number) + (INT) modifier skills per level, what about a (modified points) + (every attribute score) ?

Someone mentioned that he finds the idea behind "jumping higher because you're smart" weird, so here we go.

You gain the bonus points from multiple sources, but you can only spend on skills with the key abilities of those. If you have +2 STR, that'd mean you gain 2 bonus skill points per level, but you can only use that two points on STR-based skill, such as climbing.

For example let's take a str 14, dex 16, con 12, int 8, wis 10, cha 16 character. He'd gain 2+3+1+0+0+3 bonus skill points, but could only use them for the respective skills.

There are two issues I see with it.

1. Much more skill points per level this way. To balance this, the class-based skill points need to be reduced. 2/level (fighter, wizard, etc) should be -1/level, 4/level (bbn) should be 1/level, 6/level (bard) should be 3/level, and 8/level (rog) should be 5/level.

The "minimum 1" rule would be obsolete, too. The class based penalties or bonuses could be used everywhere.

2. The second problem is with concentration being the only con-based skill. Also, there are only 3 str-based skills. I'm currently thinking if there's a way to overcome this.

Is it needlessly complicated, without any sense? Comments, suggestion?

Simius
2007-01-07, 08:53 AM
Someone mentioned that he finds the idea behind "jumping higher because you're smart" weird, so here we go.

Intellegence measures, apart from a few other things, how quick you are able to learn things. I believe that's the reasoning behind the "get skills for intellegence" mechanic.