PDA

View Full Version : Embre Smith Pathfinder Class [PEACH]

Draco-V9
2013-11-03, 06:10 AM
Embre Smith

http://blog.marcbiagi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/torchlight_alchemist.jpg
The gem Embre is a valuable mineral which is very sought after by the rich, but there are some who know how to harness the magical essence that Embre holds within. These individuals, known as Embre Smiths can channel high lever mage through these crystals with devastating effects. It takes much research to learn this techniques and some take there entire lives practicing this art of spellcasting.

Role: The role of the Embre Smith is a primary spell caster who can summon minions to keep away from the fight and support team member.

Alignment: Any

Starting Gold: 2d6 x 10

Hit Die: 1D8

Class Skills:
Appraise(INT), Craft(INT), Diplomacy(CHA), Disable Device(DEX), Knowledge(Arcana)(INT), Spellcraft(INT), Use Magic Device(CHA),

Skill Ranks Per Level: 2+INT Mod

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Embre Smith, Embre Channelling, Cantrips,

2nd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+2|Embre Technique 1st

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+3|Embre Technique 2nd

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Embre Technique 3rd

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+2|Embre Technique 4th

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+3|

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+3|Embre Technique 5th

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+3|

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|Embre Technique 6th

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+4|

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+5|

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Embre Technique 7th

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Embre Technique 8th[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Embre Smiths are proficient with all simple weapons and light are armor and any weapons or armors Embedded with Embre. Any armor with Embre embedded in it does not give an arcane spell failure check to an Embre Smith or encumber them.

Spells: Embre Smiths do not need to Prepare their spells ahead of time but must wait for their Embre to recharge from energy around them. The recharge time is rounds equal to the level of the spell.

They Cast spells from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list and known spells are the same as the Sorcerer's

Embre Smith: At 1st level an Embre Smith begins with a n object or masterwork weapon/armor which has Embre embedded in it, for an Embre Smith to cast spells , use the Embre Techniques or for their companion to follow their orders. An Embre Smith also gains a +2 to craft when Crafting Embre into an object.

Embre Channelling: At 1st level an Embre Smith can overload their object of weapon with essence 1/per day + half their Level to make a burst of energy with does 1d8 fire, frost, acid, sonic or shock damage in a 10ft range directly in front of the Embre Smith.

Embre Technique: At 2nd level an Embre Smith may choose an Embre technique from the list below. At 8th level an Embre Smith may choose a technique from the Advance Techniques list.
Basic Techniques
- Summon Snake - An Embre Smith can 1/per day can summon a small Snake, Viper for 1 hour
- Enhanced Channel - An Embre Smith can 1/per day + Half their level (Minimum 1) give their Embre Channelling two damage types rather than one when you use the ability. This Technique can be taken multiple times each gives an extra damage type.
- Crystalline blood - The blood of an Embre Smith can grow Embre to seal wounds and stop bleeding. An Embre Smith when on or below 0 HP does not bleed with this technique.
- Glow of Embre - The Embre Smiths object begins to glow with a light that illuminates an area of 15ft around it with bright light.
- Essence Drain - When Holding a Filled crystal of embre you may gain 1d6 HP, this leaves the crystal depleted.
- Refraction - An Embre Smith can cover itself with a thin lay of crystals to refract light and gain a +2 to stealth
Advanced Techniques
- Crystal Forging -An Embre Smith can manipulate the shape of crystals into weapons and armor.
- Embre Growth - A n Embre Smith can grow 1d4 crystals of embre over 4 rounds(24 seconds) they can not perform any actions during this time.
- Tainted form - Requires Crystal Forging and Embre Growth - The Embre Smith using this technique coats themselves in Embre, This takes 1d4 rounds to do and gives a + 15AC
- Embre Shift - This technique can be used 2/per day and lets the Embre Smith to phase through Embre crystals .
- Embre Construct - Requires Embre Growth - An Embre Smith can create a an Embre Gollum(same Stats as an Iron Gollum

Draco-V9
2013-11-03, 06:11 AM
Embre
A rare and Valuable Gem filled with magical essence
Value: 100gp per crystal

Depleted Embre
An Embre Crystal that has had the magical essence drained from it
Value: 20gp per Crystal

Draco-V9
2013-11-05, 03:38 AM
This is my first class so please be honest, I would like to know what would make it better.

Thank you

Milo v3
2013-11-05, 04:04 AM
Ok, lets see:

Hit Die: 1D8
Damn high HD for a full caster.

TABLE
Seriously? Medium Base Attack bonus on a full caster, and two Good saves.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Embre Smiths are proficient with all simple weapons and light are armor and any weapons or armors Embedded with Embre. Any armor with Embre embedded in it does not give an arcane spell failure check to an Embre Smith or encumber them.
So... How do they embed the Embre into armour?

Spells: Embre Smiths do not need to Prepare their spells ahead of time but must wait for their Embre to recharge from energy around them. The recharge time is rounds equal to the level of the spell.

They Cast spells from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list and known spells are the same as the Sorcerer's
Infinite spells per day with only tiny amount of wait between them is severely overpowered. Maybe look at the recharge optional rules from Unearthed Arcana (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Recharge_Magic).

Embre Smith: At 1st level an Embre Smith begins with an object or masterwork weapon/armor which has Embre embedded in it, for an Embre Smith to cast spells, use the Embre Techniques or for their companion to follow their orders. An Embre Smith also gains a +2 to craft when Crafting Embre into an object.
Can it be any object, any weapon, any armour? Also you say "for them to do [action]", but you don't finish the idea. What do they have to do to cast spells or use Embre techniques?

Embre Channelling: At 1st level an Embre Smith can overload their object of weapon with essence 1/per day + half their Level to make a burst of energy with does 1d8 fire, frost, acid, sonic or shock damage in a 10ft range directly in front of the Embre Smith.
Just say once per day not 1/per Day. Especially since / in these circumstances means per, you basically just said once per per day. And is it a ranged attack, is it a ranged touch attack, what action does this take? Also, you need to say if it is a supernatural ability or spell-like.

- Summon Snake - An Embre Smith can 1/per day can summon a small Snake, Viper for 1 hour
Do you have any control over the snake? Is this supernatural? Does it work like Summon Monster?

- Enhanced Channel - An Embre Smith can 1/per day + Half their level (Minimum 1) give their Embre Channelling two damage types rather than one when you use the ability. This Technique can be taken multiple times each gives an extra damage type.
You gave the enhanced channel the same number of uses as the normal channel... Was that intentional?

- Glow of Embre - The Embre Smiths object begins to glow with a light that illuminates an area of 15ft around it with bright light.
What happens if your object is gone?

- Essence Drain - When Holding a Filled crystal of embre you may gain 1d6 HP, this leaves the crystal depleted.

Why would you ever spend 100 gp on an Embre crystal for HP, if you can get a Cure Light Wounds potion for half the cost AND it heals more than the crystal?

- Refraction - An Embre Smith can cover itself with a thin lay of crystals to refract light and gain a +2 to stealth
What type of bonus is it. Also, the bonus is pretty small.

- Crystal Forging -An Embre Smith can manipulate the shape of crystals into weapons and armor.

How?

- Embre Growth - A n Embre Smith can grow 1d4 crystals of embre over 4 rounds(24 seconds) they can not perform any actions during this time.
This really needs to be worded differently.

- Tainted form - Requires Crystal Forging and Embre Growth - The Embre Smith using this technique coats themselves in Embre, This takes 1d4 rounds to do and gives a + 15AC
Firstly, what sort of bonus is it. Secondly, +15 is huge.

- Embre Shift - This technique can be used 2/per day and lets the Embre Smith to phase through Embre crystals.
Needs more information on how it works.

- Embre Construct - Requires Embre Growth - An Embre Smith can create a an Embre Gollum(same Stats as an Iron Gollum[/SPOILER]
Is this like a once in a lifetime type deal or what?

Draco-V9
2013-11-05, 04:17 AM
With the glow of embre ability, if you don't have your object, weapon or armor you can't cast spells or use your abilities.

But thank you for the rest of it and I will use the advice for my next class and may even remake this class later or maybe you could try doing a better job.

Rizban
2013-11-05, 06:27 AM
With the glow of embre ability, if you don't have your object, weapon or armor you can't cast spells or use your abilities.

But thank you for the rest of it and I will use the advice for my next class and may even remake this class later or maybe you could try doing a better job.And a cleric losing his holy symbol messes up much of his casting. Requiring a focus item isn't really a huge drawback. Since these things only cost 100gp, it's not unlikely that the player would have bought at least 1 backup just in case something were to happen.

Basically, it's bad design to ramp up the power just because they lose everything if one thing goes wrong.
If it never happens, then the drawback might as well not exist. In that case, the class is simply too powerful and makes other players a bit ticked that their characters just can't compare.
If it does happen, then the character gets completely shutdown for an indefinite period. In that case, the character is completely useless, and the player gets mad at the DM for "picking on" him or some other nonsense.

Milo v3
2013-11-05, 07:35 AM
And a cleric losing his holy symbol messes up much of his casting. Requiring a focus item isn't really a huge drawback. Since these things only cost 100gp, it's not unlikely that the player would have bought at least 1 backup just in case something were to happen.

Basically, it's bad design to ramp up the power just because they lose everything if one thing goes wrong.
If it never happens, then the drawback might as well not exist. In that case, the class is simply too powerful and makes other players a bit ticked that their characters just can't compare.
If it does happen, then the character gets completely shutdown for an indefinite period. In that case, the character is completely useless, and the player gets mad at the DM for "picking on" him or some other nonsense.
Cost isn't 100gp. Based on the wording, it's not a crystal that they need for the focus. It's the specific item they get as the class feature and no other thing will ever work with it.

Rizban
2013-11-05, 09:24 AM
Cost isn't 100gp. Based on the wording, it's not a crystal that they need for the focus. It's the specific item they get as the class feature and no other thing will ever work with it.Ah, my mistake. Well, that just reinforces what I said previously. One successful sunder away from 20 levels of Pseudo-Commoner.

Milo v3
2013-11-05, 09:38 AM
Ah, my mistake. Well, that just reinforces what I said previously. One successful sunder away from 20 levels of Pseudo-Commoner.

Pseudo-Commoner with decent BAB and saves.

Rizban
2013-11-05, 10:27 AM
Pseudo-Commoner with decent BAB and saves.Hence the "pseudo" qualifier.

Amnoriath
2013-11-05, 05:55 PM
Okay you have some interesting flavor here but your mechanics either don't match up and/or this is extremely underpowered.
1. You say this is a spell caster but this doesn't progress any spell levels. Also as people allude to you shouldn't be going full casting.
2. You do very little with your crystals. The damage is poor and takes up all of your techniques to deal about the same damage as an eldritch blast. Flavor needs to match mechanics.

Rizban
2013-11-05, 06:11 PM
Okay you have some interesting flavor here but your mechanics either don't match up and/or this is extremely underpowered.
1. You say this is a spell caster but this doesn't progress any spell levels. Also as people allude to you shouldn't be going full casting.
2. You do very little with your crystals. The damage is poor and takes up all of your techniques to deal about the same damage as an eldritch blast. Flavor needs to match mechanics.He said it's sor/wiz casting with rate of spells known the same as a sorcerer with no limits on number of spell cast per day.

JoshuaZ
2013-11-05, 07:17 PM
Pseudo-Commoner with decent BAB and saves.

\begin{nitpick}
And a different class skill list which is slightly more useful.
\end{nitpick}

Amnoriath
2013-11-05, 09:01 PM
He said it's sor/wiz casting with rate of spells known the same as a sorcerer with no limits on number of spell cast per day.
Yes, I know he mentioned the spell recharge mechanic in Unearthed Arcana however there is still some lack of text problems here. I didn't notice the spells known of a sorcerer but what are his spells for the encounter? I mean if he has no spells for the encounter it basically means he at best has repetitive down time for using even the smallest of spells and at worst doesn't cast them. I am not saying this is a character killer but this needs to be cleared up.
However I think you have seen I want him to vastly change this base class to actually make the crystals more useful and readily available while either downplaying spells or get rid of them.

Milo v3
2013-11-05, 09:02 PM
Yes, I know he mentioned the spell recharge mechanic in Unearthed Arcana however there is still some lack of text problems here. I didn't notice the spells known of a sorcerer but what are his spells for the encounter? I mean if he has no spells for the encounter it basically means he at best has repetitive down time for using even the smallest of spells and at worst doesn't cast them. I am not saying this is a character killer but this needs to be cleared.
However I think you have seen I want him to vastly change this base class to actually make the crystals more useful and readily available.

I was the one who suggested the Unearthed Arcana rules. As written, you can cast an infinite times per day, but if you cast a level one spells you can't cast spells for one round, you cast a level two spells you can't cast spells for two rounds, etc.

Nothing to do with UA.

Amnoriath
2013-11-05, 09:10 PM
I was the one who suggested the Unearthed Arcana rules. As written, you can cast an infinite times per day, but if you cast a level one spells you can't cast spells for one round, you cast a level two spells you can't cast spells for two rounds, etc.

Nothing to do with UA.

Yes, I understand what he said. I wasn't sure if that was reference to the spells per encounter or what. Basically insanely cheap outside of combat effectiveness while oddly having to find something else to do in battle with even the simplest of spells. As I said he needs to find something else and majorly down play the spells.

Draco-V9
2013-11-05, 11:55 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice and I will keep all of this in mind while I am making my next class and when I revist this class and remake it.:smallbiggrin: