PDA

View Full Version : So I'm looking to run a prequel campaign for one I already ran...

Silus
2013-11-03, 07:42 AM
So I got offered to run a game for a new group (the game being Pathfinder, but the issue at hand does not pertain 100% to the system), but instead of redoing the campaign I finished not too long ago with another group, I'm tossing around the idea of running a prequel to the first campaign.

Campaign 1 basic premise:
1000 years ago, a barrier was put up around the world, cutting off planer travel and the influence of the gods (who were being jerks). The battier was erected by a semi-mortal goddess (in that they attained an irreversible physical form) of the home and hearth named Ju'Leah who had had it with the other god's shenanigans. Her sister, a likewise semi-mortal goddess of health and wellbeing, had a "better" idea than erecting a barrier. The first sister thought the actions of her sister were too radical and exiled her to the reaches of space before throwing up the barrier. Now, an entity that the first group dubbed "Yellow Eyes" is seeking to shatter the barrier for his own purposes. If he succeeds, then the exiled sister may return with a vengeance, and with no gods left, save maybe for the goddess of the hearth, there's little hope for the mortal population.

Anyway, the prequel would take place during the time 1000 years prior to Campaign 1, dealing with rogue gods causing trouble, interplanetary and interplanar troubles and politics, and, eventually, helping Ju'Leah erect the barrier and set events in motion for Campaign 1.

So here's the problems I'm facing at the moment:

1) New players. At least one has tabletop gaming experience, the others are pretty new. I've already got some plans to go slow with simple stuff (killing wolves, dire rats, goblins, etc), but are there any tips that I ought to keep in mind for dealing with new players?

2) The world in the prequel was far more...sci-fi than Pathfinder normally is. One sorta plot point that I've been tossing around is that a coalition armada or something shows up when they're not supposed to be in the area (turns out that they're there to "keep the peace" from the rogue god's shenanigans). Anyway, with the sci-fi elements (space ships, robots, etc.) blended with typical Pathfinder fantasy (swords and sorcery), what sort of problems will I be looking at?

3) The motive. Specifically, what the Goddess of health and wellbeing (still don't have a name) wanted to do instead of distance the world from the other Gods. Currently, all I have is she wanted to construct a sort of Tarrasque-God-Slayer monster and unleash it on the pantheon until it slew all the still not-semi-mortal deities. I figure that would be a nice way to tie in Kaiju (Bestiary 4) into Campaign 1 along with a sort of Fleshwarping lab. Suggestions are appreciated.

Crake
2013-11-04, 12:13 AM
For problem number 3, depending on what the gods actually did on/with the material plane, (were they squabbling over control of it? Using it as a battleground?) the sister goddess may have wanted to destroy it, like taking away a kid's toy? Alternatively, she may have wanted to erect a barrier similar to the first sister, but instead of blocking travel, it drained the divine essence of those traveling, causing any divine being or outsider to lose their immortality when they traveled to the material plane?